Airworthiness Limitations

Mike@Loves

I am looking at buying a Bravo. In my research I found a post by "kgbpost" in 2012 that refers to a problem he had after buying his aircraft as follows:

"4-10-01 - Replacement Schedule, Item; Check Valve Manifolds, Check Valves and Regulator - Replace Time Limits; 10 Years from the date of maunufacture (date of manufacture encoded in serial number - refer to Parker service literature)."

This seemed to be quite an extensive job and he had to ferry the aircraft for it to be completed. I have looked in the MM (M20M) dated Feb 2006, RevA May 2014, and there does not seem to be any reference to this requirement in Section 4 - Airworthiness Limitations. The only requirement is for the "V" clamp. 

Does anyone know the latest requirement for this replacement? Or has everyone converted to electric?

Thanks

Mike

I agree Cruiser. In fact I contacted Mike Busch and that was basically his reply. 

Some times when buying there there may be limits to what can be included in the deal. Knowing what may be needed determines the final price that I will offer.

Has anyone had experience with this particular replacement schedule? Parts cost, hours required?

Mike

4 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Mike Busch of Savvy Aviation has written extensively on this issue.

Unless it is in Section 4 it is NOT mandatory. That being said if I were buying I would want it replaced (and all other airworthiness items) mainly because I don't know the history of the plane. 

If the part is airworthy as it sits and not mandatory to replace it under the limitations, asking a seller to replace it on age isn't reasonable.  It's a point you can negotiate on, and by all means try, but I wouldn't do it as a seller depending on the wording in the contract.  Other knowledgable bravo owners (read: not me) have said that the exhaust systems need to be inspected every time you remove the cowling.  This is part of owning a bravo; the age of the exhaust system components should be known based on the logs to the plane before prebuy.

• Like 1

Mike,  are those the check valves for the TC's oil lines?

Adding some perspective to your question, I think....

Most people buying a used airplane demand that it be in airworthy condition.  The price is based on it being airworthy.

If it isn't airworthy because something important is broken or worn beyond limits... the discussion between the buyer and seller occurs about how to get it in airworthy condition again.  Or what discount is acceptable to both parties...

Bravo side note...

There is nothing more important than exhaust system health on a TC'd aircraft engine...

Bravos have special exhaust clamps that need to follow a special use and maintenance procedure.

After that, setting a price is tough.  It has been discounted from the new price already.  New TC'd Long Bodies are about 700amu.

Used and worn Bravos costing 200AMU are 500amu cheaper than new... The 500amus cover a lot of worn things...

If there is a maintenance recommendation, does it apply to you?  TBOs for the engine are a recommendation, not a requirement for Part 91 GA type flight.  If it is not required for the engine, how important is it for the Check valves on a TC?

when you are negotiating a price for the plane, these are the things you want to discuss with the seller prior to beginning the PPI.

He May raise the price to have the parts swapped out for you.  Or he may sell it to somebody that will take on these maintenance items themselves...

You are going to find a lot of worn things and timed out things (like the prop possibly) speak with your PPI resource to find out what they are going to look into to define what is AW and what is not...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-