TargetDriver

Need Info on arriving in the 21st century - Garmin GTN 750

Recommended Posts

We used Solidworks CAD (free with EAA membership) to create the CAD file for my new panel. Take the CAD file to any metal shop with a water jet and get the panel cut. After paint, take it to a trophy shop for laser etching of all the labels required. This makes for a really clean, professional, looking panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

16 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

We used Solidworks CAD (free with EAA membership) to create the CAD file for my new panel. Take the CAD file to any metal shop with a water jet and get the panel cut. After paint, take it to a trophy shop for laser etching of all the labels required. This makes for a really clean, professional, looking panel.

Paul,

Did you start from scratch with the cad file or did you have a template of  a blank panel? If you used template, were did you find it?

I have one for 69-70 Mooney, is I would like one for a 79 K.  

Cheers,

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Paul,

Did you start from scratch with the cad file or did you have a template of  a blank panel? If you used template, were did you find it?

I have one for 69-70 Mooney, is I would like one for a 79 K.  

Cheers,

Dan

We started from scratch. And it was a fairly labor intensive process. @"Chocks" did all the work and has the file. But mine is an 87 K252 which is different than yours. We tried to use a file from a 231 and it was different enough that it was just easier to start from scratch.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 11:13 AM, teejayevans said:

I would get a PLB, cheaper and if you do any hiking, sailing, other airplanes, etc it works there too.

PLB is fine, but doesn't have the automatic activation on impact.  I'm not sharp enough to be confident I'd remember to activate my PLB in the heat of battle.  The fewer things I have to remember as I'm going down the better.

The Artex 345 has been very popular and is priced well.  Of course, installation is extra, but if you already have it torn apart you reduce that cost.

YMMV.  To each his own.  I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to think.  Merely sharing my experience, FWIW.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take your KNS-80 off your hands if you're removing for the upgrade. It's the best IFR direct capable value in GA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, David_H said:

In 10 years everyone will be talking about the need to update an antique GTN 750.

New US Satellites on new frequencies, ability to use the systems other countries are putting in orbit, return of Zombie E-LORAN, LAAS/GBAS. So, yes, that seems likely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect 20 years before the G boxes are called antiques... as were the last G boxes... GTN vs G530...

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 8:43 PM, nosky2high said:

I'll take your KNS-80 off your hands if you're removing for the upgrade. It's the best IFR direct capable value in GA. 

Really?   Again, I'm obviously not an avionics whiz, but how can that be better than all the new GPS tech available today (like the DIRECT to button)?  I'm curious....but I had planned on getting rid of it.  Just kind of figured I'd want all of the old stuff eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And an update for the GTN 750...  I passed on it.  I checked into the 8130 the guy showed with it and it had to have been faked or forged. I called the shop shown on it and spoke with the owner, that had signed it off. He said that work order number he signed off in 2015. The 8130 shown with his name and signature was dated Aug 27, 2017.   I asked to have him send it to another reputable avionics shop to be tested and a new 8130 issued, then once checked out, I'd wire him the money...and I'd pay for the testing and shipping, then the shop could send it to me once I paid for it...  He still wanted 50% cash down wired to him.

He also wouldn't give me the name of the shop that supposedly pulled it from his Piper Malibu for an upgrade to a G500, or the N number of his Malibu.   I called BS.

Back to searching for a 530W or better...    BTW, as an scam alert, it was listed on Planeboard/avionics.  Dont bother with the guy. Last name Nigel, location Traverse City MI (?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

Really?   Again, I'm obviously not an avionics whiz, but how can that be better than all the new GPS tech available today (like the DIRECT to button)?  I'm curious....but I had planned on getting rid of it.  Just kind of figured I'd want all of the old stuff eventually.

A simple cost benefit analysis of IFR direct avionics will easily show that the KNS-80 is the best value. Hence my comment and offer to take yours if available as a spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, nosky2high said:

I'll take your KNS-80 off your hands if you're removing for the upgrade. It's the best IFR direct capable value in GA. 

The KNS80 I pulled 5 years ago sold on EBAY for $460. I suspect they've depreciated from there. fat, heavy, and expensive to repair. And having that boat anchor in the panel probably means you have a KY 197 or some other talk box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

The KNS80 I pulled 5 years ago sold on EBAY for $460. I suspect they've depreciated from there. fat, heavy, and expensive to repair. And having that boat anchor in the panel probably means you have a KY 197 or some other talk box. 

I resemble that remark.  That's exactly what we have as nav/comm 2.  Here is a good reason for a KNS80.  Take a look at the only approach into Vancouver, WA (KVUO).  It's an LDA based off the localizer at PDX.  You won't find the approach in the GTN database so you can't load it and you can't legally load it by manually entering all the points.  With the KNS80 I have DME and can fly the approach quite easily.  While you could tune  up the localizer in the GTN, you don't have DME.  Assuming you put in KVUO as your destination, you could have distance from the airport, but that's not the same as distance to the threshold.  Or you could load PDX as your destination and have distance to PDX.  But again that's not the same as distance to the localizer.  So in either case you will need to do some math as you fly the approach.  Either that or cross tune all the way down final... if you have a second VOR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also noticed that real DME is helpful, particularly when being vectored in the terminal environment or for an ILS/DME approach.  We solved that by remote mounting an entire KN62A DME.  no panel space taken but DME remote tuned, its displayed on the Sandel.

Edited by jetdriven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I resemble that remark.  That's exactly what we have as nav/comm 2.  Here is a good reason for a KNS80.  Take a look at the only approach into Vancouver, WA (KVUO).  It's an LDA based off the localizer at PDX.  You won't find the approach in the GTN database so you can't load it and you can't legally load it by manually entering all the points.  With the KNS80 I have DME and can fly the approach quite easily.  While you could tune  up the localizer in the GTN, you don't have DME.  Assuming you put in KVUO as your destination, you could have distance from the airport, but that's not the same as distance to the threshold.  Or you could load PDX as your destination and have distance to PDX.  But again that's not the same as distance to the localizer.  So in either case you will need to do some math as you fly the approach.  Either that or cross tune all the way down final... if you have a second VOR.

I like the KNS80 too.  But if I few behind Bob's panel for 30 secs I would probably consider it a boat anchor.  

Currently I don't have a GPS in the panel but I do have a KNS80.  So it is quite valuable to me right now.  When I upgrade to a GTN or IFD it will probably come out.  Manly due to the physical space it takes up with a second comm.  

DUATS flight planer will still generate direct to coordinates for RNAV.  On my last trip from MN to TX I used this and keep plugging the numbers in the KNS80 while the autopilot tracked in Nav mode.  I was amazed how accurate the KNS80 was.  It stayed on course withing 1 mile of the iPad, usually much closer than that.  The ground speed never disagreed more than 2 or 3kts.  

When you can buy them on ebay for $400, who cares how expensive they are to repair.

Cheers,

Dan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

And an update for the GTN 750...  I passed on it.  I checked into the 8130 the guy showed with it and it had to have been faked or forged. I called the shop shown on it and spoke with the owner, that had signed it off. He said that work order number he signed off in 2015. The 8130 shown with his name and signature was dated Aug 27, 2017.   I asked to have him send it to another reputable avionics shop to be tested and a new 8130 issued, then once checked out, I'd wire him the money...and I'd pay for the testing and shipping, then the shop could send it to me once I paid for it...  He still wanted 50% cash down wired to him.

He also wouldn't give me the name of the shop that supposedly pulled it from his Piper Malibu for an upgrade to a G500, or the N number of his Malibu.   I called BS.

Back to searching for a 530W or better...    BTW, as an scam alert, it was listed on Planeboard/avionics.  Dont bother with the guy. Last name Nigel, location Traverse City MI (?)

I have stopped browsing Planeboard for this reason.  When I was searching for an airplane I called and emailed on two different airplanes for sale.  No responses from either. I also have noticed that there were always "too good to be true pricing" on the avionics listed. A friend of mine tried to buy a 530W that was listed, he bugged out when the seller claimed he was shipping it from the middle east.

Cheers,

Dan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Like this...

IMG_1083.jpg.935ac34054ad8872eab86adc26abb9f6.jpg

And this...

IMG_1084.jpg.f7b45fdefb60d2fdfe5eeba27e75fe0f.jpg

To this...

IMG_2503.jpg.8cf670d431cfea12faa361d366901126.jpg

Flush mounts are nice...

IMG_2511.jpg.bf014a459b9517496623b6018dfb0df4.jpg

Hi Paul,

What is the gauge on the upper left to the left of the ASI. Looks like a dual amp meter 

flush in best. Beautiful panel

jim

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 7:01 PM, jetdriven said:

You can remove the remote transponder controls and get your two data fields back. I have the 345r but I have a PMA8000Bt audio panel and thus I have those 4 data fields. 

@jetdriven, I'd be indebted to you if you told me how....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I resemble that remark.  That's exactly what we have as nav/comm 2.  Here is a good reason for a KNS80.  Take a look at the only approach into Vancouver, WA (KVUO).  It's an LDA based off the localizer at PDX.  You won't find the approach in the GTN database so you can't load it and you can't legally load it by manually entering all the points.  With the KNS80 I have DME and can fly the approach quite easily.  While you could tune  up the localizer in the GTN, you don't have DME.  Assuming you put in KVUO as your destination, you could have distance from the airport, but that's not the same as distance to the threshold.  Or you could load PDX as your destination and have distance to PDX.  But again that's not the same as distance to the localizer.  So in either case you will need to do some math as you fly the approach.  Either that or cross tune all the way down final... if you have a second VOR.

Last I saw, there were only 32 LDA approaches left, contrasted to 3900 LPV and many more GPS approaches. The KVUO LDA approach is special case though since most LDA's are in the database, but since this one uses the PDX localizer for 10L they can't also use the same facility with a different airport such as VUO. Ironically though both approaches of course have to use the same final approach course (since its localizer/LDA) and VUO approach waypoints are in common with the PDU 10L procedure except for the last 2 waypoints (min's and map). But I agree with you that we can still tune in the localizer, and although we don't have DME, we can load the waypoints in the GPS flightplan  (since they are GPS waypoints) and use these solely to identify the waypoints in lieu of DME and still fly the approach legally based on the localizer. I can't say with 100% certainty this is legal, as I would want to do some more research on this if I was local. But since we don't need a database procedure to fly a Localizer or LDA approach, it seems we only need a means of identifying the 4 fixes to fly it without DME. After all we could also fly it legally with our second radio set to BTG and watching the crossing of the identified radials, but I'd prefer the GPS waypoints. Have you considered this?

And the trump card on using the GTN is that you can still load the VUO LDA-A approach plate and see your geo-referenced position for the enhanced situational awareness. 

Thanks for sharing this rather unique LDA approach, its an interesting one!

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now