single band vs dual band Stratux

DonMuncy

I built a Stratux a couple of years ago. In my typical manner, I went cheapo and got a single band. (I think I had questions about my ability to put one together at all).  What am I missing, and is it possible to convert it to a dual band. Where might I find the stuff to convert.

18 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I built a Stratux a couple of years ago. In my typical manner, I went cheapo and got a single band. (I think I had questions about my ability to put one together at all).  What am I missing, and is it possible to convert it to a dual band. Where might I find the stuff to convert.

I see stuff every day I fly on my dual band portable that isn't shown on my single band, built in, legal ADS-B.

The second band would be for 1090Mhz ADS-B air-to-air traffic.  You'd pick up traffic directly from their Mode-ES transponders.

You'd still see this traffic if you were close enough to a radar station.  They'd pick up the Mode-ES traffic, and then transmit it to you via TIS-B (ground rebroadcast of ATC radar), unless you're not near a radar station or if the ADS-B ground signal was blocked/weak.

• So with single-band (978MHz), you will pick up all UAT-equipped traffic around you directly.  You will pick up ALL traffic via TIS-B if available.
  • With dual-band, you will pick up all ADS-B Out (UAT and Mode-ES) traffic around you directly.  You will pick up ALL traffic via TIS-B if available.

Practically, that means in an area where ADS-B coverage is sparse (either poor tower signal or poor ATC radar coverage), dual-band will pick up more traffic that is equipped (but will still miss non-equipped traffic).  In areas where ADS-B coverage is good, there may not be much of an advantage, since TIS-B will fill you in on all the other visible traffic anyway.

I operate out of a fringe ADS-B area and I noticed that my NGT-9000 equipped ship does not pickup the regular Skywest CRJ700’s (the only regular traffic besides cargo Caravan’s). I figured that the CRJ’s Mode-S would trigger my NGT-9000 but it doesn’t. More the reason to upgrade to Active Traffic. Any Skywest CRJ/ERJ drivers here that can confirm if they are ADS-B out equipped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

I don't know if they sell it any more but I bought a dual band EFB  -Ping dongle from uAvionix.  Stratux supported and works very well.  I get both 1090 and 978.  I think they make the new receiver for Foreflight tho so you may have to try to find one used.

Pardon my ignorance. Is the dongle the only part (other than another antenna) needed that would convert it to dual band?

49 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Pardon my ignorance. Is the dongle the only part (other than another antenna) needed that would convert it to dual band?

Yes, the second USB SDR radio module as well as a corresponding antenna for it.  The software will recognize it's presence automatically.

iain

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Yes.   Just be aware that most of the Stratux dongles are frequency specific, so get the one that you're missing.   I see that the antennas are often labelled specifically, too, and if they're tuned for a particular band and you use it in the other it may degrade performance.

47 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I really hate groping around in areas where I am clearly deficient, bugging people who have the requisite knowledge.

Don, I don't think you should worry about this at all.  I cannot remember a single post of yours that wasn't well received.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Don, let me know if I can be of any assistance. I've built many of them. 

If you don't want to order two radios, you could buy just one and program it via .ssh function (if you are computer savvy). If not, send it to me and I can turn it around in a day. You can plug it in and good to go.

PM sent

On 12/26/2017 at 7:43 PM, DonMuncy said:

FWIW, if you have two antennas plugged into two USB ports, the Stratux software should recognize it.  If not, you can connect to the Stratux at 192.168.1.1 and configure it to use both.  I also used two antennas off of an old iLink ISA PC card.  Worked okay.

You can buy prepared antennas on Amazon:  http://a.co/evTxgN5

From the responses received, and some googling and digging, it appears that getting each or these would be the most economical way to get what I am looking for. Does this seem right?

1.  FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter

Builds on the popular Pro Stick by adding a built-in 1090 MHz bandpass filter

Increases range 10-20% over a Pro Stick in environments where filtering is beneficial

·                                  

2. NooElec ADS-B Discovery 3dBi Antenna Bundle - 1090MHz & 978MHz  

Antenna Bundle for SMA and MCX-Connected Software Defined Radios  

(SDRs)

Kit contains a 1090MHz SMA antenna, a 978MHz SMA antenna, and 2 male MCX to female SMA pigtail cables

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

From the responses received, and some googling and digging, it appears that getting each or these would be the most economical way to get what I am looking for. Does this seem right?

1.  FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter

Builds on the popular Pro Stick by adding a built-in 1090 MHz bandpass filter

Increases range 10-20% over a Pro Stick in environments where filtering is beneficial

·                                  

2. NooElec ADS-B Discovery 3dBi Antenna Bundle - 1090MHz & 978MHz  

Antenna Bundle for SMA and MCX-Connected Software Defined Radios  

(SDRs)

Kit contains a 1090MHz SMA antenna, a 978MHz SMA antenna, and 2 male MCX to female SMA pigtail cables

The Pro Stick is 1090 only (cursory read of the specs).  

You should have a software defined radio hooked up to the Stratux that looks something like this.  How many antenna connections does it have?

71lN17-MGHL._AC_SR201,266_.jpg

Or you may cast off the Mooney cheap b*****d moniker and pony up $36 for a new set of antennas and radios.

http://a.co/28lbVc7

I surely qualify as a first class CB, but I am not going to quibble over $10. I already have the 978 dongle, so I thought the Pro Stick (at about $25) and the 1090 antenna would fix me up. The cite you provided would give me both dongles and both antennas at virtually the same price. I would just have more parts to discard. I'm mostly trying to make sure I don't mess up and end up with a system that doesn't get both bands. I am pretty sure my original set-up has a place for two antennas, but I will run out to the hangar and get it to check.

I appreciate the help.

4 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

The Pro Stick is 1090 only (cursory read of the specs).  

You should have a software defined radio hooked up to the Stratux that looks something like this.  How many antenna connections does it have?

After looking, I'm still not sure how many antenna connections I have. It has 4 USB ports, one Phone? port, one HDMI port and one round hole with connector tabs inside (similar to what a microphone jack has).

SAM_1835.JPG

SAM_1834.JPG

I'm close to figuring out what to do, I think. It would appear that as long as I get a SDR/dongle that says 1090 on it and a 1090 antenna, I am good to go. (Unless you believe the FlightAware Pro Plus hype that says theirs has a filter that makes it better.)

I am still a little  confused about how I would hook up an antenna if I got one of the SDRs without the male fitting connector on it. I haven't seen an adapter that converts an antenna to USB. And I am not sure that you can just plug the antenna into a USB port anyway. 

Where is Raptor when I need him. Maybe he has a life outside Mooneyspace :) 

Each dongle should have an antenna connector on it.   If not, I think I'd just get the preconfigured dongles with antennas and call it a day.

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-Dual-Band-Foreflight-FlightAware-Applications/dp/B01K5K3858/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1514597849&sr=8-11&keywords=ads-b+sdr+usb

In this particular kit you can plug a micro coax cable (provided) into each dongle and then plug an antenna into each, matching the proper antenna to each dongle (they're marked).   Alternatively you can use the Y cable to connect to each dongle and use a single antenna with a broader bandwidth, but you'll lose some performance.

Or use this kit, which has just enough to make it work:

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-1090ES-UAT-Radios-Antennas/dp/B01M7NMWCD/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514598068&sr=1-13&keywords=stratux+case

Another issue is that you have a plain vanilla Raspberry Pi case rather than a Stratux case, the benefit of which is that it has places to mount each of the antennas.

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Case-Fan-White-ABS/dp/B072ND582W/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514598148&sr=1-3&keywords=stratux+case

If you get the regular case, you can also put a fan in it, an AHRS (for, like $15), and/or plug a WAAS gps antenna into it for another $35.

Edit:   An even better case for aviators, with cool diagrams and stuff showing how it all goes together:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V1KTYJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1

The mission creep is real with these, but at least it's cheap.

Edited by EricJ

The ProStick is absolutely better, but for in-flight use a bit on the serious overkill side. Mine with an external antenna at my house pulls in traffic from 200+ miles away.  I got the NooElec kit and used it for another project(desktop ADS-B receiver) and they work fine at the ranges you're interested in for traffic in-flight.

I think if I were considering a stratux I'd consider the newer NooElec kit with the new receivers though, they have heatsinks to get rid of some of the heat they produce and have a smaller case to better fit the USB ports. Although I don't know how they'd fit in one of the fancy pre-built stratux cases.  https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Nano-Bundle-Stratux/dp/B076GWF6FF