Converting To 6-Pin Headset Connector

pilot_jb

I intend to take advantage of the Bose cable upgrade rebate, which expires at the end of the year.  Currently, my front seats are setup for standard two-pin headsets, but have an additional third jack for power.  The last owner used David Clark ANR headsets.  Ideally, I would like to convert to a six-pin setup, so I can take advantage of the auto on/off function.  

Has anyone here converted their jacks to the six-pin setup with power?  As mentioned, the power is already there, so my thought is that it won’t be a big deal, but I can find little information online.  

On 12/26/2017 at 4:42 PM, jetdriven said:

I have a LEMO plug on my plane. It’s a got +12v, a ground, and audio and mic pins. YOu can  splice easily into existing wiring from the pilot side jack which is near. 

1485E046-4C99-4184-8DF7-DF05356AC839.jpeg

Great information!  Thanks!

I had not heard of this, and was interested until I read that we had to return our old cable.   Now... if Bose sold a unit that plugged into either the two-plug or 6-pin connectors, and then connected to my headset via bluetooth (essentially removing the cable from my headset to the aircraft), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  

45 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

I had not heard of this, and was interested until I read that we had to return our old cable.   Now... if Bose sold a unit that plugged into either the two-plug or 6-pin connectors, and then connected to my headset via bluetooth (essentially removing the cable from my headset to the aircraft), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  

Pretty sure they sell a lemo to 2 pin plug adapter. Bluetooth you'd have to get that light speed or whoever it was

59 minutes ago, peevee said:

Pretty sure they sell a lemo to 2 pin plug adapter. Bluetooth you'd have to get that light speed or whoever it was

Yep, I’ve got both the two plug and lemo in my aircraft.  But in order to minimize cables in the cockpit, I thought it was a good idea if Bose came up with a conversion kit that would provide Bluetooth connectivity to your comm system.  Wishful thinking.  I like my A20s too much to give them up though.

Bose does sell a LEMO to two pin adapter for $60. Sporty’s sell the same adapter for $30 or $40. Running out of time, as the rebate is only valid on purchases made on or before today. I’m 99% sure I’m going to convert to LEMO

1 hour ago, pilot_jb said:

Bose does sell a LEMO to two pin adapter for $60. Sporty’s sell the same adapter for $30 or $40. Running out of time, as the rebate is only valid on purchases made on or before today. I’m 99% sure I’m going to convert to LEMO

I refuse to pay 300 bucks for it or 200 after rebate. 

On 12/27/2017 at 1:41 PM, kortopates said:

You don't really want to convert as much as you want to add a LEMO plug right next to your standard 2 plug jacks. Your avionics shop should know exactly what to do - or can provide the supervision if you want to tackle this yourself.

Completely agree.  We did this when we went through the major upgrade recently.  You’ll spend more money and trouble trying to convert an existing 2-plug arrangement, and you’ll lose some flexibility with what type of headsets can be used.  With an added LEMO plug to hour existing 2-jack setup, your audio panel should be able to determine what type of headset is plugged in without a separate switch to indicate “Bose” or “Standard”.

I had two Bose plugs in the front seats, and standard only in the back.  Given we had the airplane interior apart and were running new wiring and removing old, my shop added two Bose plugs to each of the rear seats.  They charged me $60 each for the plugs, and did the wiring work at no charge, otherwise it would have been about 2 hours’ labor.

Steve