Looking for a M20R Ovation New Owner Checkout in PA/MD Area

Mike Bletsch

Hi,

I'm closing on an M20R Ovation and needing a CFI checkout in it.  My insurance is requiring 10 hours dual with a CFI that has 25 hours in type.  The aircraft is located in Lancaster, PA currently.  

If you are a CFI in the area or have a recommendation on where to find someone please let me know.  I'm ~500 hour PPL soon to be IFR pilot.  We could do something on a day rate of do the check out from PA to Houston where I live and will base the plane.  I called Kerville, Mooney plant that I'm 1 hour flight from in my Tiger and they only offer training to brand new A/C owners unfortunately,  

Thanks for any help.  Mike Bletsch 832-367-4867

Edited by Mike Bletsch

9 minutes ago, Mike Bletsch said:

Hi,

I'm closing on an M20R Ovation and needing a CFI checkout in it.  My insurance is requiring 10 hours dual with a CFI that has 25 hours in type.  The aircraft is located in Lancaster, PA currently.  

If you are a CFI in the area or have a recommendation on where to find someone please let me know.  I'm ~500 hour PPL soon to be IFR pilot.  We could do something on a day rate of do the check out from PA to Houston where I live and will base the plane.  I called Kerville, Mooney plant that I'm 1 hour flight from in my Tiger and they only offer training to brand new A/C owners unfortunately,  

If you can get Bob Cabe from San Antonio to fly up there and fly back with you you will be ready to go with your new Mooney. He does this for the factory from time to time with new Mooney pilots and is excellent. You'll find him and a lot of other Mooney instructors across the country on the pdf below.

MOONEY INSTRUCTORS.pdf

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Bletsch said:

Hi,

Welcome Mike!

My recommendation is to contact Ralph Semb at the Mooney Safety Foundation. There are a few instructors in the NE region who may be able to help you. I have personal experience with Ralph and also with Ted Corsones. Great instructors. I also recommend you register for a Mooney proficiency seminar given by the MSF. Excellent way to learn your Mooney and become as proficient as possble. 

http://www.mapasafety.com/home

Welcome aboard, Mike!

Bob Cabe assisted bringing my O from San Antonio to NJ.  He lives in that area... he has been a Mooney Factory flight trainer in the past, with endless Mooney experience...

Your needs sound like they may be the same only in reverse...

Only problem you may run into... is the O is so fast, you won't get the ten hours you want... :)

Bob can help you get some great IFR experience in your new 2 U plane's delivery flight... real IFR in a real IR plane!

I also did Transition training with Bob.  The first day was all about flying 101 and traffic pattern speed control, mixed in with E procedures.

The time flys by so fast...

If your plane is O3 powered... you will be really impressed with shortness of T/O, Speed of Climb, and rate of emergency descent...  it will only take a small tail wind and your GPS will be showing 200+ ground speeds in level cruise...

Another great CFII that I studied under, is @Cris also an MSer From way back... Cris is from the Atlantic City area, his usual ride is a Screamin' Eagle...  not far from Lancaster in Mooney minutes.

Let me know if you need contact info for these people...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, Mike Bletsch said:

Hi,

Mike, I sent you a PM with contact info for a couple of Houston area guys but I had forgotten about Stephen Masters, former Mooney factory pilot and I believe he resides in Delaware.  His name should pop up on Google.  He used to live in the Woodlands.  He did my transition in my first Mooney years ago and does this sort of thing all the time.

Russ

I am a CFI-I who has over 2,300 hours in an 1995 Ovation and over 4,200 hours total time.  If you want to do some local work up here I might be able to help you.   I don't think flying to Houston on auto-pilot to simply gain hours is in your or your our families best interests. 

Norm

N995K  M20R