Monroy Longrange Tank installation

Emmet

14 hours ago, Piloto said:

The tank kit parts are installed in the wing through the existing bottom inspection panels. No special tools or skills (except riveting) are required. After the parts are installed the cavity is sealed the same way as the main tanks. There is no fuel pump required thus no wiring involved. For plane with speed brakes there is barrier installed at the speed brakes area to contain the fuel.

José

The only change to the main tanks are the addition of AN fittings to allow the fuel transfer from the aux. to the mains. On the M20C, F and J the fittings can be installed through the filler hole so no access panel need to be removed.

José

Doesn't it also involve sealing the original fuel vents and adding new outboard ones?

And don't forget the most important thing, placards and POH supplement!

• 4 months later...

@Piloto, resurrecting this thread just to make sure I read through the thread correctly for the M20K with speed brakes. My mission changed over the last 6 months.  Virginia Beach used to be my home base to fly to Boston, Central Florida and Chicago.  I am now based out of X35 in Florida so I need legs to get up to Boston plus I see vacations out west for my wife and I in the future so looking at the LRT's.

- I understand all about accessing the outer panels for installation (riveting) and putting the barrier in for the speed brakes. I don't think I have any questions IRT installation

- Confirm I lose 6 gallons total with the LRT compared to non speed brakes so as I understand it I will have 94 total gallons useable vice 100 gal

- For the K, I will not need additional vents put in

- For the K, they will have to use a lower access panel to install the fitting between the LRT's and the main tanks.

- Aproximately what is the required hours/down time to install 

I just want to make sure I have understood correctly.  I will probably go back to Edison for the install.  He did my reseal two years ago.

Thanks for the help 

29 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

@Piloto, resurrecting this thread just to make sure I read through the thread correctly for the M20K with speed brakes. My mission changed over the last 6 months.  Virginia Beach used to be my home base to fly to Boston, Central Florida and Chicago.  I am now based out of X35 in Florida so I need legs to get up to Boston plus I see vacations out west for my wife and I in the future so looking at the LRT's.

- I understand all about accessing the outer panels for installation (riveting) and putting the barrier in for the speed brakes. I don't think I have any questions IRT installation

- Confirm I lose 6 gallons total with the LRT compared to non speed brakes so as I understand it I will have 94 total gallons useable vice 100 gal  Correct

- For the K, I will not need additional vents put in   Correct

- For the K, they will have to use a lower access panel to install the fitting between the LRT's and the main tanks. Same as on M20C, M20J and M20K

- Aproximately what is the required hours/down time to install  About 60 man-hours

I just want to make sure I have understood correctly.  I will probably go back to Edison for the install.  He did my reseal two years ago. Good choice.

Thanks for the help  

Don't forget to add a pilot relief tube when adding the LRT. It will make the trip more enjoyable!!

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Haha 1