Monroy Longrange Tank installation

Emmet

I am deeply impressed about how good this magic word works !

The question is how much and especially what kind of work is required ? 

I understand that the estimated total time is about 60 hours, but how does this split up?

Installation of fuel cap and reseal?

Any additional metal work when the plane has speed brakes?

The speed brakes take six? gallons away from each side becaise the breaks and associated hardware are in the same cavity the new tanks will use. The outward main tank rib is drilled for the fuel to gravity feed to the main tank. Fairly simple engineering. 

The long fliers love them. If you don't do long stints then you probably don' need them. 

@Piloto

@Emmet is asking some details about adding additional fuel capacity to his existing M20F fuel tanks...

@MIm20c asked about a detail for his M20C.

and David @Mcstealth added some additional technical detail...

I just like saying I like having 100+ gallons in my M20 Wing.... It is the best speed mod when it cuts out a stop for fuel...

The Power of the community of MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

@INA201 In this case...

Emmet didn’t mention bladders, so I assumed he still had the original, integral sealed wet wing tanks...

Emmet, Thanks for the correction... I knew I was supposed to check my work to make sure I had the correct model.  I got it fixed a few moments ago... the extra long nose in the avatar is a subtle Give-away...  :)

Piloto is our engineer with the STC for the extended tanks in many of our Mooney's wet wing tanks (I hope I have this correct).  He is always supplying great technical detail related to tanks and traffic detection...

We have threads that cover extending capacity and a new owner/vender for bladders.  There is some recent activity on this thread. Should be easy to find...

Hopefully I covered a few helpful things...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

I just like saying I like having 100+ gallons in my M20 Wing.... It is the best speed mod when it cuts out a stop for fuel...

Only if you actually use it. Loads of Mooneys don't come close to using their range even with standard tanks because of the fickle piece of ballast sitting inside. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mike,

I'm Pretty new to this extra long non-stop X-country thing...

I always used to stop after a few hours...

I never used to fly alone either...

Fickle piece of ballast...?  

I don't have no used Gatorade bottles, or special traveljohns, or pee bottles of any sort...  I am a fan of the disposable extruded polymer solution with fancy zippers..!   I'm a Ziploc kinda guy..!

Who Wants to blow chow into a used injection molded bottle? Or try to aim into a simple standard water bottle...?

Blow chow in a Ziploc, and everyone knows what you had for lunch! No lunch selfies required...

With such a wide opening, perfect aim isn't a requirement...

If needed, the zipper can tighten around whatever device is leaking... no girations trying to stand to pee...

Ziplocs can be used for several things... holding batteries, paper towels, any waste generated by small human beings, and just about anything including other Ziplocs...

I haven't gotten airsick, yet...

I yield the floor back to piloto and the vacuum tube...

201er, one day your back seater will be so proud to show you the Ziploc he/she just filled... you will be thrilled/proud that none of it got on the carpet!  :)

Real life Families and Mooneys... perfect for growing and flying together!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Emmet said:

I read everything about them what I could find, but the questions from above remain open. As the 60h for installation are the biggest part of the equation I would like to understand better how they are composed and what probably can be done under supervision....

http://www.monroyaero.com/lrupgad.pdf

Have someone do it that has done a lot of them. Edison at WetWingologists has probably done more than anyone except Jose Monroy himself. Jose did mine back in '97. Paul Beck up at Weep No More has done quite a few I understand also.

The speed brakes require an extra kit to close out the speed brakes. This is all sheet metal work followed by sealing the new fuel bay. What you would do under the supervision of your A&P is best addressed between the two of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, Emmet said:

I am deeply impressed about how good this magic word works !

The question is how much and especially what kind of work is required ? 

I understand that the estimated total time is about 60 hours, but how does this split up?

Installation of fuel cap and reseal?

Any additional metal work when the plane has speed brakes?

The tank kit parts are installed in the wing through the existing bottom inspection panels. No special tools or skills (except riveting) are required. After the parts are installed the cavity is sealed the same way as the main tanks. There is no fuel pump required thus no wiring involved. For plane with speed brakes there is barrier installed at the speed brakes area to contain the fuel.

José

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, MIm20c said:

So the main tanks can be left alone when the LR tanks are added?  I thought it had to be done when the tanks were resealed. 

The only change to the main tanks are the addition of AN fittings to allow the fuel transfer from the aux. to the mains. On the M20C, F and J the fittings can be installed through the filler hole so no access panel need to be removed.

José

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Mcstealth said:

The speed brakes take six? gallons away from each side becaise the breaks and associated hardware are in the same cavity the new tanks will use. The outward main tank rib is drilled for the fuel to gravity feed to the main tank. Fairly simple engineering. 

The long fliers love them. If you don't do long stints then you probably don' need them. 

It is actually 3 gallons per side for a total of six gallons less.

José

• Like 1