Unfortunate Auto Accident

TWinter

This past week our FBO Manager sent a morning email notifying all of the local pilots that our local CFI was involved in a fatal single car accident. He was the CFI that got me back in the saddle 8 years ago after a long 20+ year layoff from flying. Duane Patterson was 78 years old and kept most everyone in the local area up to speed and current. He was going to be my "go to" CFI to start my IFR right after the upcoming holidays. His health had been going down hill over the past few years and was limited to flight review currency check rides or working with guys that already had PPL.

It appears he had a heart-attack or seizure of some sort while driving and veered off the road resulting in a severe head injury ending in a fatality.    

While it saddens our local pilot community, we can only look at the other side and be thankful that it did not occur while he was in the air and the end result being much more tragic.

I have really been working on my IFR ground prep and ready to start air work after the first of the year..He would have been my CFI for my next venture in flying.

Duane had been a CFI in west Tn for a long time. I think there may have been a few guys on MS that knew him.. Just thought I pass on the information.

He was a character...One of those old crusty, grouchy CFIs that you learned to like only after you got to know him..

I remember just shortly after I met him and while getting my Mooney dual with him we were landing one time. I was in transition and still learning the feel for the landings. I landed pretty hard and for some reason I let the pressure off the nose early and we kind of "plopped" down hard on the runway. After I got stopped he tipped his head down and looked at me eye to eye over his old man glasses and in a grouchy old tone with a seriously agitated voice said, "What hell did you do that for?" , I thought who is this guy yelling at me. I wanted to say...get the heck out my airplane..lol   As time moved on he became a good friend and my CFI. Some people you just need time to get to know..He was one of those folks.    

RIP  Duane.

-Tom

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Very sorry to hear this. Sounds like he was able to spread his passion for aviation for many years.  I lost a CFI many years ago to a motorcycle accident. He was just starting his career at age 22 but was not able to avoid an SUV that pulled out right in front of him. 

• Like 2