GoPro Hero 6

MARZ

40 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

does it come with a waterproof type plastic case?  reason I ask is it looks like the camera is  exposed to the elements, wonder if you'd want to protect it in a case if you're going to mount it outside.

The camera is waterproof. It doesn’t come with a case. 

Stole an idea from here on the forum - took a RAM mount, drilled and tapped a thread for a 5/16 18 piece of all thread rod.  That screws into the tie down location on the wing. I put a thin piece of rubber insulator in place to act as a "lock washer" 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike Ropers said:

Stole an idea from here on the forum - took a RAM mount, drilled and tapped a thread for a 5/16 18 piece of all thread rod.  That screws into the tie down location on the wing. I put a thin piece of rubber insulator in place to act as a "lock washer" 

Be careful, by that definition it needs a logbook entry. I've read threads over on Facebook on a guy getting dinged on a ramp inspection because of a "permanent" drill method.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:31 PM, Baxsie said:

Nice video. With that stabilization, I think that it would be cool if you could mount it on the tail, looking over the plane. Kind of a 3rd person view. 

Like this?
15724997_10154884141249640_2789841947660

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Be careful, by that definition it needs a logbook entry. I've read threads over on Facebook on a guy getting dinged on a ramp inspection because of a "permanent" drill method.

It's not permanent... just reach under the wing and unscrew the mount and camera from the tie down / hoist point... easy day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Do you make a log book entry every time you install or remove your tie down rings? It's exactly the same thing. I had the same set up on my C and went through a ramp check without any issues.

6 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I would think using the tie down attachment would be a great way to do it.  Looks like a ram mount is going under the knife this weekend. 

I used the GoPro tripod mount. That and a piece of all-thread, a couple of nuts, and you're good to go.

But the truth is the GoPro sticky mounts are just too easy. So they're all I use anymore.

8 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I've been debating using a sticky mount on top of the wing to get a cockpit view, however I'm wondering how much that would affect the airflow.  A go pro on a mount isn't much smaller than my speed brakes.   Thoughts?

I've got ~40 hours of flying with GoPros all over. Doesnt affect my speed one bit.

5 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I've been debating using a sticky mount on top of the wing to get a cockpit view, however I'm wondering how much that would affect the airflow.  A go pro on a mount isn't much smaller than my speed brakes.   Thoughts?

We use this mount from nflightcam on the wingtip. Easy to install and considered a minor alteration https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/frontpage/products/nflightcam-ball-head-exterior-mount

A7826086-BAF0-444C-B646-389939EE111F.thumb.jpeg.a6076fc7be1e5c79179685256484bfb1.jpeg

MooneyMan...

had you considered hiding the camera behind one of the many forward looking light lense areas?

This comes to mind with all the modernization of LED lights and recog light options...

The advantage would be the aerodynamics, and safety for the camera itself.

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

had you considered hiding the camera behind one of the many forward looking light lense areas?

This comes to mind with all the modernization of LED lights and recog light options...

That would really only work if the camera lens was on the end of a long fiber cable of some sort so the camera its self could be in the cockpit. It would work to put the lens into a light fixture, but the camera needs to be accessible for power, batteries, changing setting, accessing the memory card, etc. You wouldn't want to be pulling the wingtip lenses off the plane every time you use the camera.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

MooneyMan...

Best regards,

-a-

I had not considered positioning the camera in the light lense area. It is an interesting idea but in addition to Rocket's comments above, you would only get a forward facing view and would likely lose some picture clarity. I was never keen on mounting something on the wing but I think in reality the aerodynamic impact is minimal. This Nflighcam mount is very sturdy and secure. It was just a matter of swithcing out for a 1/2 inch longer screw.  We also like the view looking back at the plane. We have a forward facing camera with prop filter mounted inside on the glareshield.

• Like 1