Canadian tank reseal

pkofman

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Exactly - I used to live in Minnesota- I was North of some parts of Canada. Now I live in Texas and I’m South of some parts of Mecico. 

Geography does mess with people at times.

Clarence

7 hours ago, pkofman said:

Anyone know who does tank sealing in ( Toronto) eastern Canada. Is there a shop up in the eastern side of Canada that does this type of work 

peter

None in Canada as the market is simply too small.  It leaves shops in the US to select from.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

Hi Peter,

I am not aware of any Canadian shops that do this but I just got my 252 back from Weep No More in Willmar MN this week and would rate them a 10 out of 10! It was a six month wait to get it in, but if you want it done right, it is the place to go. I stopped in Sault Ste. Marie (US side) for customs and then direct to Willmar. Paul Beck and his team were very helpful and friendly and arranged to drive me to and from KMSP. Plan to leave your plane for 3-4 weeks.

The experience is a bit like getting a new roof on your house. It costs a lot of money and your house looks exactly the same afterwards, but you have the peace of mind knowing that it won't leak for another 20 years! And no fuel smell in the cockpit! 

Dont go cheap on this. You will just end up doing it again in a couple of years. One word of warning : No tax payable on the job in Minnesota but Canada Customs will ding you for full HST when you bring it home. I am still steaming about that, but you can't fight them. 

If you want more details I can PM you my email address.

Cheers,

Mark

2 minutes ago, squeaky.stow said:

Hi Peter,

I am not aware of any Canadian shops that do this but I just got my 252 back from Weep No More in Willmar MN this week and would rate them a 10 out of 10! It was a six month wait to get it in, but if you want it done right, it is the place to go. I stopped in Sault Ste. Marie (US side) for customs and then direct to Willmar. Paul Beck and his team were very helpful and friendly and arranged to drive me to and from KMSP. Plan to leave your plane for 3-4 weeks.

The experience is a bit like getting a new roof on your house. It costs a lot of money and your house looks exactly the same afterwards, but you have the peace of mind knowing that it won't leak for another 20 years! And no fuel smell in the cockpit! 

Dont go cheap on this. You will just end up doing it again in a couple of years. One word of warning : No tax payable on the job in Minnesota but Canada Customs will ding you for full HST when you bring it home. I am still steaming about that, but you can't fight them. 

If you want more details I can PM you my email address.

Cheers,

Mark

Umm . .  weren't you going to visit long lost friends in Willmar, MN? It's not like you brought back something tangible over the border. The reason it's not taxable in Minnesota is that it's labor, which Minnesota doesn't tax. (One of the very few things that the Land of 10,000 Taxes doesn't tax .. lol)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Umm . .  weren't you going to visit long lost friends in Willmar, MN? It's not like you brought back something tangible over the border. The reason it's not taxable in Minnesota is that it's labor, which Minnesota doesn't tax. (One of the very few things that the Land of 10,000 Taxes doesn't tax .. lol)

The log book entry would make it hard to deny the work was done.  Forfeiting ones airplane for tax avoidance is more expensive than paying the 13 tax.

Clarence 

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Ah the tax people don't peruse the logbooks down here.

Canadian airplanes use a journey log book which details our flights as well as all maintenance, so it’s hard to deny the event took place.

The customs folks are also the ones who will collect the taxes as you re-enter the country, there are tax exemptions based on days out of the country but the value of a tank re-seal is too high.

Of course if you have a poker face you can try avoid the tax.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

TAX!  Hate taxes, but hard to avoid. I really do not need the aggravation at the border. They can be tough and difficult 

What I was trying to achieve with this post was to find someone locally to do a little work on this  over the next few months as the weather is very Canadian at the moment ( which puts a damper on my flying)

Thanks for all the hints, and I've talked to Weep No More and I hear they do a great job

Pete