Opinions on This M20R

Niko182

I'm really looking at this 97 Ovation, and so far am really liking it.

I'm just curious if theres anything you see that would make you steer

clear of this? I already asked for the logs, and am currently waiting.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/22934371/1997-mooney-m20r-ovation

-Nik-

I'm really looking at this 97 Ovation, and so far am really liking it.
I'm just curious if theres anything you see that would make you steer
clear of this? I already asked for the logs, and am currently waiting.
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/22934371/1997-mooney-m20r-ovation
-Nik-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not seeing total hours on the plane.

I don't see which prop it has.  TopProp would be nicer...

Nothing to steer away from, just questions for the pricing discussion...

new A/C unit

no built in O2?

no FIKI?

These are the three big options that get chosen while spec'ing out an O... or lead blocks...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

I'm not seeing total hours on the plane.

I don't see which prop it has.  TopProp would be nicer...

Nothing to steer away from, just questions for the pricing discussion...

new A/C unit

no built in O2?

no FIKI?

These are the three big options that get chosen while spec'ing out an O... or lead blocks...

Best regards,

-a-

It does have the top prop and the 310 STC.

I like the panel too. Aspen 1000 and a GNS 530/430 is def a pro for me.

I personally didn't want AC, FIKI, or O2 as it would be something I would rarely

use and I would value the increase in useful load more, but the useful load is good enough

for my mission so i can't complain.

-Nik-

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

How do the aspens compare to a g500 txi?

To me it's an apples to oranges comparison.  Once you've flown the G500 (the G500TXi isn't out yet) you wouldn't want to fly anything else, but those with dual Aspens might say differently.  Since my airplane is stuffed full of  Garmin stuff, I'm a little biased.

The paint job on that airplane has me confused.  Why did they go back to an early paint scheme?  At first I didn't think it was an Ovation, but it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I personally didn't want AC, FIKI, or O2 as it would be something I would rarely

use and I would value the increase in useful load more, but the useful load is good enough

for my mission so i can't complain.

-Nik-

Believe me...even after only ~2000 hours in Ovations and Acclaims, you will use TKS and oxygen more than you think.  Without them, your long-range missions...especially into Canada...are very limited.  I grew up in the Pacific NW, and these two pieces of equipment are absolute staples.  Air conditioning isn’t necessary.

Obviously your choice, but if I were you, I’d forego this Ovation.  Installing a known-ice TKS system these days is just north of $60k.  Get yourself into a nice Ovation with O2 and TKS already installed and forget about what the cockpit looks like...it will fall into line.  The earlier Ovations up to 2004 models have the widest range of upgrade possibilities...they are really blank slates.  PM me if I can help with anything.

Steve

• Like 3

With the Long bodies..

You get your choice...

• Useful things in the back like A/C, Fiki equipment, O2...

-or-

• Dead Charlie weights

It isn't a pure trade for more UL.

Also look into which TopProp comes with that...

• thick blades
  • thin blades
  • composite blades

Weight and balance can be important.  The TopProp moves the Cg forwards a bit.  It would be advantageous to know how the WnB was handled...

For some great eye candy see Don K's remote mounted boxes on the shelf in the back. He artfully traded lead blocks for ultimate Mooney capabilities....

With the long body you are buying a ton of flexibility and capability.... not so much extra UL.

my O has the lead bricks. I would gladly trade them for installed nice things.  

The one time you have to get these things at a great price, is the day you buy the plane with it all installed...  :)

PPIs are still important no matter who owned it or who did the maintenance.  PPIs are for the protection of your wallet... and they aren't perfect either...

Go Long Body!

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I'll be doing my IFR ticket in this. I plan to do long XC trips.

currently in Orange county, and plan to go to Canada at least twice a year. Travel in general

with 2 - 4 people, and log hours.

If you are planning on doing long X-C trips you'll want O2 for sure as you'll want to spend time above 10,000ft on a regular basis. It allows you to take advantage of the winds and to lower the Fuel Flow. O2 also reduces fatigue on long, high, flights. Fly at night? O2 above 6-7000ft is pretty darn helpful for night vision.

FIKI is more of a question mark. If you plan on skipping IFR in the winter you're fine without, but if you want long X-C flights in wintertime and someplace cooler than California you'll find it very helpful :)

Good luck finding your dream ride!

Robert