O3 low oil tmps and winterization/baffle kits

Robert C.

My O3 usually has rather low oil temps, especially in the winter. They run typically between 160-170F.

I've been told that this is too low to cook off moisture and that a "winterization/baffle kit" from Mooney might be the thing to get. Couple of things make me nervous.

1) The baffle (in the left/port cowl opening before the oil cooler) should only be in when the temps are below 30F on the ground. Here in New York Tri-State area there are plenty of winter days where it is slightly above freezing. So that implies a constant dance getting that sliding baffle in and out. E.g. today it was about 35F and at altitude the OilTemp never got above 165F.

2) The kit comes with instructions and material to cut another door in the cowl to make it easier to slide the baffle in and out. $450 for the kit and 2-3 hrs of installation time.

Anyone here have experience with such a winterization kit? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Robert

I have not found the need for it here in Georgia, but it is seldom sub-freezing during the day. I have the plate that came with the plane but didn’t realize you could install a separate access panel in the top cowling to facilitate its use. That would make sense for northern flyers...but I would worry that it destroys the beautiful clean lines of the Ovation cowling. If you do install it, please post pictures!

• Like 1

Here in the Great White North, I install my oil cooler cover in October and leave it in place until April or so. Winter variation in temps between -30C and +10C. Frankly, the baffle doesn't do a lot for oil temps - maybe 10ºF on a good day? - so I've never had a concern leaving it in place until we are back in the +teens. Major PITA to take off the cowl to pull it out/put it in, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to cut a hole in the cowling to fix what for me is a twice/year event coinciding with oil changes.

• Like 2

I too live / fly in the Great White North and simply install the plate in the late fall / remove it in the early spring.  The only time I go to the effort of taking it out during the winter is if I do a trip to the southern US (yes please!).  I often see OAT's of -20C at altitude during the winter but this is from a trip to Kapuskasing (north western Ontario) a couple of weeks ago....  -23C on the ground at midday....so far at least, thats the coldest I have personally experienced.  But as BorealOne points out, it can and does get much colder....Merry Christmas everybody I'm off to throw another log on the fire....  

IMG_8264.thumb.JPG.128cf9b66eb046d9dbb29585a6c8848a.JPG

• Like 2

I just had my oil cooler block put in for the winter.  It is a couple of pieces of open cell foam taped together that one of my mechanics made for me a few years ago.  Cowling has to come off to do it.  It helps a little.  You can also help the engine by running it a little hot.  My typical LOP setting puts some of the cylinders in the high 200s which is fine, but number 2 sits in the cowl opening and gets quite alot of cooling.  So on a given day I might run ROP just to keep #2 warm.  I sure like the extra lift on cold days.

5 hours ago, Seefuture said:

I too live / fly in the Great White North and simply install the plate in the late fall / remove it in the early spring.  The only time I go to the effort of taking it out during the winter is if I do a trip to the southern US (yes please!).  I often see OAT's of -20C at altitude during the winter but this is from a trip to Kapuskasing (north western Ontario) a couple of weeks ago....  -23C on the ground at midday....so far at least, thats the coldest I have personally experienced.  But as BorealOne points out, it can and does get much colder....Merry Christmas everybody I'm off to throw another log on the fire....  

IMG_8264.thumb.JPG.128cf9b66eb046d9dbb29585a6c8848a.JPG

Stop rubbing it in, you’re in Florida right now aren’t you?

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...
On December 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM, Robert C. said:

My O3 usually has rather low oil temps, especially in the winter. They run typically between 160-170F.

I've been told that this is too low to cook off moisture and that a "winterization/baffle kit" from Mooney might be the thing to get. Couple of things make me nervous.

1) The baffle (in the left/port cowl opening before the oil cooler) should only be in when the temps are below 30F on the ground. Here in New York Tri-State area there are plenty of winter days where it is slightly above freezing. So that implies a constant dance getting that sliding baffle in and out. E.g. today it was about 35F and at altitude the OilTemp never got above 165F.

2) The kit comes with instructions and material to cut another door in the cowl to make it easier to slide the baffle in and out. $450 for the kit and 2-3 hrs of installation time.

Anyone here have experience with such a winterization kit? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Robert

I am not sure what you refer to in #1...... The IO550 oil cooler is at the rear of the engine. My "winterization" plate slides into a slot in front of the oil cooler.

Is there another baffle that closes off the port cowl opening at the front of the engine behind the propeller?

On 12/21/2017 at 10:07 PM, Robert C. said:

Robert, I think Jeff summarized it well.  To help keep temps in check during this time of year, the bracket and plate for the front of the oil cooler is an invaluable asset, and highly recommended.  Agree it’s a pain to keep removing the top cowling to slide the plate in and out depending on field temps on a given day.  I would certainly go for a second small door with a couple of latches in the cowling to aid in insertion and removal.  Happy to take a couple of pics and post, and if you want to drop into ISP (or I could drop into Danbury), glad to show it to you.

Steve

On 12/24/2017 at 11:09 AM, jlunseth said:

I just had my oil cooler block put in for the winter.  It is a couple of pieces of open cell foam taped together that one of my mechanics made for me a few years ago.  Cowling has to come off to do it.  It helps a little.  You can also help the engine by running it a little hot.  My typical LOP setting puts some of the cylinders in the high 200s which is fine, but number 2 sits in the cowl opening and gets quite alot of cooling.  So on a given day I might run ROP just to keep #2 warm.  I sure like the extra lift on cold days.

@jlunseth,

If I'm not mistaken, your #2 cylinder is the rearmost cylinder on the left bank putting #6 in the cowl opening on that side #5 on the other side.  My #2 also runs the coolest though, but not sure how to explain it.  It's the back cylinder and it's closest to the oil cooler so expectation would be the opposite from reality.

Ron

On 1/1/2018 at 11:24 PM, StevenL757 said:

Robert, I think Jeff summarized it well.  To help keep temps in check during this time of year, the bracket and plate for the front of the oil cooler is an invaluable asset, and highly recommended.  Agree it’s a pain to keep removing the top cowling to slide the plate in and out depending on field temps on a given day.  I would certainly go for a second small door with a couple of latches in the cowling to aid in insertion and removal.  Happy to take a couple of pics and post, and if you want to drop into ISP (or I could drop into Danbury), glad to show it to you.

Steve

Thanks Steve, would love to see it, and we should aim to meet up anyway and have lunch somewhere. Let's see when the cold wave ends and make some plans!

• Like 1