Mooney M20J glareshield overhaul

MooneyTunes

44 minutes ago, MooneyTunes said:

The folks at Aero Confort have done it again! My 1983 glareshield has been in need of a face lift for some time. I finally sent it to the folks at Aero Comfort for a makeover. What came back from their shop is nothing short of a masterpiece! 

See for yourselves.

3D062C78-C537-4482-9244-567006BE5E8A.jpeg

8F07D3A3-C55B-4927-911C-5EBCACB606F3.jpeg

3EF344B0-216E-4530-9DBB-4EB3032C40E2.jpeg

That is nice how much did they charge for the work I have they same glaresheild @ what was the time line getting it back

3 hours ago, MooneyTunes said:

Total cost was $575. This includes $75 to remove, clean and prep for covering. Mine had been poorly covered with cloth. If you have a plain Mooney glareshield the cost is $500.

I spoke with Hector to schedule mine for next year. They have raised the cost to $550 for 2018. Evidently the glareshields that get sent in are getting worse and worse...

iain

16 minutes ago, nels said:

Is a 201 glareshield difficult to remove?? I looked at removing mine in order to get to the A pillar trim for redying but wasn't sure how to proceed. 

Nice work on yours. Like the white stitching.

Two screws, one on each side on top and one in the middle that holds the cover piece for the down tube slot. A short tip 90° phillips screw driver helps. Space is tight there under the windshield especially the middle one. The glareshield lifts out with a little encouragement. Also need to disconnect the plug of glare shield lights. You'll see it as you lift the windshield a little.

I removed mine and refinished it when I did my interior plastics. Cleaned up nicely. Painted it with a nice flat SEM colorcoat black. Looks like brand new.

Just now, PTK said:

Two screws, one on each side on top and one in the middle that holds the cover piece for the down tube slot. Need a 90° phillips screw driver. Space is tight there under the windshield especially the middle one. The glareshield lifts out with a little encouragement. Also need to disconnect the plug of glare shield lights. You'll see it as you lift the windshield a little.

Thanks! 

I did my glareshield in leather with a french seam - it fits so snugly that those annoying side screws can be neglected and the glareshield is secure with just the middle. 

@MooneyTunes did hector use a layer of foam scrim under the leather?  He probably used headliner glue as the temperatures under that glareshield are impressive. Standard stuff doesn’t work well.  

I've had those sitting in my toolbox looking for an excuse to use them!

@MooneyTunes Have you reinstalled permanently? I don't see the 2 screws in your picture.   Just wondering if it was hard to re-align the holes as it looks like they are covered over.  Looks amazing btw!