Britain turn coordinator question

SkyTrekker

Is the turn coordinator from Britain on our positive control equipped Mooney’s primary electric with a vaccine backup, or vice versa?  

The poh says the turn coordinator is electro-vacuum, but doesn’t speak to failover specs or assumptions. Getting ready for practical test soon and want to make sure I have the real deal re: what fails/works when there is either a electrical or vacuum system failure. 

Thoughts?  

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, SkyTrekker said:

@N201MKTurbo That is what I thought!  But I can't find anything in the POH or on Brittain's website that explicitly states it that way.  Is that referenced anywhere authoritatively, or is it just common knowledge?

From the web site:

The PC system was upgraded in 1967 to utilize the Brittain TC100EVS autopilot turn coordinator gyro. The TC100EVS provides visual indication of wing leveling in addition to operating as the gyro sense element for the PC system.  Roll trim capabilities exist on the gyro unit but all other facets of the install remain the same.  The TC100EVS turn coordinator gyro operates from vacuum or electric power sources, either or both, for an added measure of safety.

• Like 1

Just now, takair said:

From the web site:

The PC system was upgraded in 1967 to utilize the Brittain TC100EVS autopilot turn coordinator gyro. The TC100EVS provides visual indication of wing leveling in addition to operating as the gyro sense element for the PC system.  Roll trim capabilities exist on the gyro unit but all other facets of the install remain the same.  The TC100EVS turn coordinator gyro operates from vacuum or electric power sources, either or both, for an added measure of safety.

Thanks takair.  I guess I didn't read the site carefully enough.

The phrase "if it'd been a snake..." comes to mind :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

On a related note, can someone tell me what vacuum air filters should be installed on the Brittain TC100EVS?   While I've got the panel off, I want to change them, and what is there doesn't look right.  Thanks.

If it looks like an automotive gas filter, then it is probably correct.  I suspect there is a commercial version, but have not found one yet.

Yeah, I cannot find a PMA'd one either. The Rapco filters use 0.5 micron filter media.   The best Bosch gas filter I can find is 3 micron, I think that the little clear plastic things that I pulled out scare me.   I want to baby that TC100EVS.   I was thinking about a Rapco RA1J10-1  which has two 3/8" connectors, I could connect each of the two hoses to one end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

Since it can also run on electric any idea if that means that the vacuum system can be removed to install dual G5's?

That's kind of a moot point because vacuum is still needed to power the Brittain servos.

• Sad 1