Ignition switch acting funny

10 minutes ago, Captnmack said:

A0899D9D-7A48-44DC-943D-B5FCE63A0889.jpeg

So, a $269 plus a $3,570 ignition module is an adequate replacement for even a $542 ignition switch?  "Installation of this STC requires the installation of either STC#SA02987CH or STC#SA03286CH (the Electroair Electronic Ignition System)"  (Which I would never pay that for the switch..., equivalent switches can be signed off by an IA or A&P any day of the week http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/igswitches.php?clickkey=5735)   The OP has brand new magnetos last year.  

I'd love the Electroair ignition, but not to help with an ignition switch problem.  Actually I'd prefer the E-Mag or P-mag system, but I don't think that they are Approved yet.

1 hour ago, Skmoore63 said:

I wish I could remember which switch I have. One is the Bendix and the other type is a ?????. My mechanic bought a rebuild kit and replaced all the worn components within the switch. I think the kit was $150 and his labor was around $150. Memory fading (it was a whole year and half ago), it has worked perfectly since. The rebuild could be an option depending on the brand of the switch?

ACS Gerdes, no Mooney’s are on the approved list for this series of switch.

Clarence

Thank you @M20Doc!  Found the problem.  AP found a wire not making contact with the retard points set.   Prop swings maybe 1 whole revolution and we have instant RPM.   Thank you for the Diagnostics. I am assuming the P lead was not grounding is what he is talking about.  Your instructions zeroed in on the problem in no time flat.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Thank you @M20Doc!  Found the problem.  AP found a wire not making contact with the retard points set.   Prop swings maybe 1 whole revolution and we have instant RPM.   Thank you for the Diagnostics. I am assuming the P lead was not grounding is what he is talking about.  Your instructions zeroed in on the problem in no time flat.  Thanks again.

I’m glad you found and fixed the problem.

Clarence