Repaint Cost

rpcc

• 11 months later...

Hate to bring up an old post - but I’m gonna - lol. 

I have a 64 C model - going Into weap mo more in May for a strip and reseal. I’ll use it for the summer - then possibly take it in for paint end of year (if I can afford it after the tank reseal). 

Im liking the quality and price of joes work! I PMd to see if his prices are still comparable. 

Great reading everyone! Thanks for all the help!

On 12/20/2017 at 10:17 PM, gsxrpilot said:

They said I could get in within a couple of weeks. I'm not even close to ready for paint though. I will most certainly paint my 252 at some point as I'd like to bring it back to like new condition. But paint is the very last step and I've got a few steps ahead of it first.

Your plane is already very nice. What's next?  New interior?

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

Your plane is already very nice. What's next?  New interior?

Thank you, but I've got a ways yet to go and a list I'm working through.

This is subject to change...

1. Aspen MAX upgrade (Jan 2019)
  2. Engine overhaul and upgrade to SB model (August 2019)
  3. Encore conversion (August 2019)
  4. Autopilot upgrade, Aspen MFD
  5. AeroComfort Interior
  6. Paint
  • Like 4

Hank’s A-Team van would have be equipped with a limited slip differential and a thick torsion bar, that would allow for...

• flatter cornering, to not allow unweighting of the inside wheel when going around a corner....
  • Not Spinning the unweighted drive wheel, while trying to accelerate....

Guessing the TV producers weren’t thinking about realism as a high priority for this program.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/16/2018 at 10:25 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Thank you, but I've got a ways yet to go and a list I'm working through.

This is subject to change...

1. Aspen MAX upgrade (Jan 2019)
  2. Engine overhaul and upgrade to SB model (August 2019)
  3. Encore conversion (August 2019)
  4. Autopilot upgrade, Aspen MFD
  5. AeroComfort Interior
  6. Paint

1 Aspen MAX upgrade

2. STEC 3100 upgrade

3. Quit:rolleyes:

20181217_115305-1.jpg

• Like 3

I have painted a few aircraft over my time....  Do not kid yourself, a quality job on a small plane, single engine aircraft is 15K.  If its not, question the shop on what products they will use and exactly what steps they will follow before topcoat.  If your preference is red, hold on tight as its the most expensive on the color chart.  If you want a modern polyurethane, with a brand name like Imron brace yourself.  If would want an elaborate paint scheme, sit down before you see the estimate.

I am responding to this because so many people ask me to paint or to do blend work who do not understand how time consuming and labor intensive it is to do a complete paint job on an aircraft.  Just try getting the paint off yourself and the 15K will seem cheap!

This is not like wet sanding a car with a color coat clear coat!

Rick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Releew said:

I have painted a few aircraft over my time....  Do not kid yourself, a quality job on a small plane, single engine aircraft is 15K.  If its not, question the shop on what products they will use and exactly what steps they will follow before topcoat.  If your preference is red, hold on tight as its the most expensive on the color chart.  If you want a modern polyurethane, with a brand name like Imron brace yourself.  If would want an elaborate paint scheme, sit down before you see the estimate.

I am responding to this because so many people ask me to paint or to do blend work who do not understand how time consuming and labor intensive it is to do a complete paint job on an aircraft.  Just try getting the paint off yourself and the 15K will seem cheap!

This is not like wet sanding a car with a color coat clear coat!

Rick

Rick, Hawk (Tampa FL) is below $15k. Joe only uses Imron. Price includes complete strip, prime, fill. All control surfaces and removable panels are painted off the plane. In my case 4 metallic trim colors - the principle trim is Ruby Red 748889. New ss hardware.

IMG_20180710_142657343_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Same here. I want to six different paint shops before we used hawk. and you know what a couple of them are comparable with Hawk’s quality and maybe Slightly better but they were over $20,000, at a time when  Joe was half that. Do you wanna see what a quality paint job looks like check and see if they drilled the data plate off and then riveted it back on after it’s done. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Do you wanna see what a quality paint job looks like check and see if they drilled the data plate off and then riveted it back on after it’s done. 

I'll have to check mine. 

(I'm in the @AGL Aviation frequently where a lot of Mooneys come for annuals an PPI. Most of them were painted with the covers over the tail hinge in place!) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'll have to check mine. 

(I'm in the @AGL Aviation frequently where a lot of Mooneys come for annuals an PPI. Most of them were painted with the covers over the tail hinge in place!) 

Wow, did they take it to MAACO, where they include antenna, windows & weatherstripping in the paint job?

1650277826_ScreenShot2018-12-20at5_22_03PM.png.f5d3bf3e751c120b0b9436fe71671de8.png

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I may be the only guy who went into Joe’s paint booth and painted part of the airplane while it was there. But I’m telling you I was heavily involved in this project.  And I’ve learned a lot about aircraft painting 

BE48B363-3CEF-4DA0-B98A-D5433F2D4020.jpeg

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I may be the only guy who went into Joe’s paint booth and painted part of the airplane while it was there. But I’m telling you I was heavily involved in this project.  And I’ve learned a lot about aircraft painting 

It's my favorite paint scheme for sure. And a huge part of that is how well Joe did the work.

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

That is awesome!  What an amazing opportunity... I would have loved to have stepped into the booth a few months back when my bird was painted!!!! I came down and saw it after etching, and once base coats were applied... but didn’t think to ask about going into the booth for shooting.

Man, I wish I’d asked those questions (“hey, mind if I come down and help out?”).  I’ve done that with annuals, but never even thought to do it with the paint.  

Here’s the learning point for me...... always ask the questions, even if I think I already know the answer.  The only thing that can really happen is that I’m surprised in a positive way.

• Like 1

In my case, the watermark checkerboard was just a little bit too much for Joe and the crew.  The process is a little bit unusual. It’s all masked up if you see that. The checkerboard is basically the base red it but it’s tinted very slightly darker with the same Black that used to make the red to begin with. Take several iterations of Add Black, put in a cup, spray on a test panel, force dry then view, to get it right. 

Then me and his man Sean got to work.   He would spray the base red over the front third of the airfoil. Then  I would spray tinted red from the trailing edge forward and at the demarcation line for the gun away back and fade it and ghost it onto the already wet base red to get that faded in look. We did pull it off, I think.  

DF366B68-46DB-4CD2-9EF0-969BB7F37E47.jpeg

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, jetdriven said:

Do you wanna see what a quality paint job looks like check and see if they drilled the data plate off and then riveted it back on after it’s done. 

Sure enough my data plate was removed to allow painting under it!

• Like 1