Repaint Cost

rpcc

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Doesnt have a real paint booth, just spray and go. Hawk does. I spent a few days there since Im that kind of plane guy, and it was a lot of extra stuff.

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9638.jpg

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

My experience was just like yours as I live 2 hours away and work in Tampa 3 out of 4 weeks a month.   I have seen at least 20 planes in Naples/Ft. Myers/Marco that have been painted by Hawk over the last 10 years or so and not one has had any issue?  Joe is not fast it takes 3 months to get it done, but his work is second to none that I have seen?  Not sure where this other poster has seen issues, but I sure have not?  I tell you something else.  Joe actually does the work, so I am pretty sure any issue he would stand behind.  I already know Edison will have to reseal my tanks at some point in the future, and Joe has already said he will fix whatever gets messed up no worries at all.  If you can come to Tampa I just don’t think he can be beat?

Doesnt have a real paint booth, just spray and go. Hawk does. I spent a few days there since Im that kind of plane guy, and it was a lot of extra stuff.
IMG_9779.jpg.d3f2da4af95d583c1daba50e69ab3427.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg.0ffa2dd342378100892a5dd7ba5c1d8e.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg.d8e92efcc1943bf972203cce277975ee.jpg
IMG_9796.jpg.7786a414a0dea17f8d4bfb47d9bc49f9.jpg
IMG_9804.jpg.2d5725ffc550fdb64b1f462ab2be54df.jpg
IMG_9764.jpg.293ebbb4e21f11e351b8deb22eae4687.jpg
IMG_9377.jpg.b9ce67f732aa3b169f85ad6066cc7be5.jpg
IMG_9635.jpg.f564b460c55167fe9272bc59b39ab462.jpg
IMG_9638.jpg.a62f95742e0d3d89e0223fb578e85d95.jpg
IMG_9748.jpg.09a96f40168d0f876cfb6e48cc53dbb3.jpg
IMG_9339.jpg.c6733bcd327b1fd583d3359a752c380a.jpg
IMG_9612.jpg.a3600543982f911a3e92aa6071f874d7.jpg

Honestly I don’t see how anyone can see the quality in your paint job....;) just kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

Cheapest and best paint job is Manual Mora.  Full strip.  controls removed and balanced etc   phone 809 762 8581.  can paint at home or u5a3d28b7ed500_manualmora2.thumb.jpg.63369b95ba6041937505679d57924872.jpgsa  English perfect.  I have used him for over 20 years.     

manual mora 1.jpg

manual mora 3.jpg

Where is he based?  That area code is Dominican Republic. How much did he charge to do your mooney?

22 hours ago, philiplane said:

I have seen several Hawk paint jobs after 5-6 years, and they do seem to have issues peeling around lap joints and panels. I would ask what type of warranty they give, since peeling is not a wear issue, it's an application defect that may show up in one year or in five. 

Without names and/or tail numbers, I don't buy that story. Sorry, but I've been viewing Hawk paint jobs for twenty years, have spoken to 100's of owners and have never heard of one such complaint.

However, I have heard and read of ArtCarved issues right here on MS. Hopefully they were just growing pains.

You pays your $$, you takes your chances....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

IMG_1817.jpg

I love that picture - too funny - If you look at it sideways it looks like you were waxing so hard you fell into he mirror and you are looking back from the other side trapped hoping someone can figure how to bring you back into the real world.

Sort of the Tran of airplane paint jobs.

I just ferried a 182 to artcraft for touchups where it was flaking in a few places.  I dont know the details other than the paint was less than a year old.  The part that was flaking didnt look like there was a base coat under it but im not sure if thats standard or not.  Also damn its windy up there.

53 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I love that picture - too funny - If you look at it sideways it looks like you were waxing so hard you fell into he mirror and you are looking back from the other side trapped hoping someone can figure how to bring you back into the real world.

Sort of the Tran of airplane paint jobs.

I washed the belly. It was so reflective that’s me laying on a creeper. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fantom said:

Without names and/or tail numbers, I don't buy that story. Sorry, but I've been viewing Hawk paint jobs for twenty years, have spoken to 100's of owners and have never heard of one such complaint.

However, I have heard and read of ArtCarved issues right here on MS. Hopefully they were just growing pains.

You pays your $$, you takes your chances....

That is sort of where I was going.  I think that comment was really wrong with nothing to back it up.  Joe is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and his work is top notch.  I don’t have “a dog in the fight”, so I hate to call B.S.?  But I do.

If you check, the data plate was removed for repaint as well. I’ve never seen a shop do that. He couldn’t get my wing root fillets off, they were riveted and glued down, then the edges beveled and faired with more PRC glue. In fact all the fiberglass was done this way.  The nav light housings were removed and painted separately. I didn’t want the nav blades painted due to signal attenuation concerns but they ended up doing those as well, believe it or not they work fine. But yes everything that possibly could come off, did. 

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

If you check, the data plate was removed for repaint as well. I’ve never seen a shop do that. He couldn’t get my wing root fillets off, they were riveted and glued down, then the edges beveled and faired with more PRC glue. In fact all the fiberglass was done this way.  The nav light housings were removed and painted separately. I didn’t want the nav blades painted due to signal attenuation concerns but they ended up doing those as well, believe it or not they work fine. But yes everything that possibly could come off, did. 

Music to my ears. But I hope Joe is ready to start on mine when I get it to him in March. I want to be flying a lot this summer! 

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Music to my ears. But I hope Joe is ready to start on mine when I get it to him in March. I want to be flying a lot this summer! 

Bob,

count on 3 months.  Joe will say 2, but he is just simply busy.  I tried to keep the end goal in mind.  I wanted Best job I could afford.  A little extra time was worth it.  He will always answer the phone and he will send you pictures along the way.  Wait till you see your plane with all new hardware and fresh paint it is amazing!

• Like 1