Repaint Cost

rpcc

Has anyone painted an ovation/eagle in the last couple years?  What shops did you use and what were the costs?  The example I'm looking at is a bit rough.  Currently has spray can treatment on spots.   I can't imagine this plane needing anything less than a complete strip and repaint.   

Thanks for all your help.

No need to guess. I am on the schedule for new paint for next March. I requested quotes from 3 shops via their web sites and all 3 provided a quote within 24 hours which stated what was included, what would add to the cost, etc.

But if you just want a round number estimate I'd say $15,000 for a quality job. Perhaps the long body will be slightly more... The Scheme Design web site has a list of shops they can recommend that includes shops all over the country. 

• Like 2

There's a highly regarded paint shop on the field at KGGG... which has the advantage of being just across the runway from Don 'the Oracle' Maxwell's shop.  I've seen some of their work and they are painting all the Ultra's for the factory.

They quoted me $18K for a top of the line paint job including taking out any dings, bumps, etc...  And that was after pulling my 252 into the shop and going over it. So I'm sure it's pretty accurate.

Reese Brothers In NJ painted my O, and has done some follow up work as well.

The paint work was originally done by the prior owner decades ago....

Really nice work, and the follow up work is perfectly matched...

Reese also painted an AOPA Mooney, back in the day...

Hope that helps...

Best regards,

-a-

There's a highly regarded paint shop on the field at KGGG... which has the advantage of being just across the runway from Don 'the Oracle' Maxwell's shop.  I've seen some of their work and they are painting all the Ultra's for the factory.
They quoted me $18K for a top of the line paint job including taking out any dings, bumps, etc...  And that was after pulling my 252 into the shop and going over it. So I'm sure it's pretty accurate.

What was their wait time? Texas is aways away from be but probably well worth it if they do the factory’s paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

What was their wait time? Texas is aways away from be but probably well worth it if they do the factory’s paint.

They said I could get in within a couple of weeks. I'm not even close to ready for paint though. I will most certainly paint my 252 at some point as I'd like to bring it back to like new condition. But paint is the very last step and I've got a few steps ahead of it first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Check out Art Craft Paint in Santa Maria CA. There are at least a couple of satisfied customers here.

http://artcraftpaint.com/

• Like 5

Check out Art Craft Paint in Santa Maria CA. There are at least a couple of satisfied customers here.
  http://artcraftpaint.com/

Thanks, that was going to be my next question what shops were reputable on the west coast.

Call Joe at Hawk in Tampa.  He is tremendous and he will be under 12k.  Full strip, all new hardware, and he does body work.  There is no one in the country that does as good a job for the money.  I have pics of the entire process as he did mine this last summer.

ED7D2A14-7055-4557-86C6-B0DBEFEABFCF.jpeg

06306035-FD9A-4665-842C-6AEEAE678FA7.jpeg

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Check in with Jolie... she has sent a few Mooneys towards Artcraft...

I think one NJ Mooniac may have had his J painted there...  probably a record of that long Xcountry around here somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

I had Teresa give me a quote and seriously considered taking the plane there. Nice lady with a great American success through hard work story. In addition to doing a great job she has been a big booster of GA and Mooneys. She was at MAPA convention a few years ago and I talked with here again at KOSH. I don't know anything about other West Coast paint shop but if I were closer I'd be visiting there for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 82Mike said:

Call Joe at Hawk in Tampa.  He is tremendous and he will be under 12k.  Full strip, all new hardware, and he does body work.  There is no one in the country that does as good a job for the money.  I have pics of the entire process as he did mine this last summer.

I am on Joe's schedule for March. The current cost is $12,500. This is for a base and 2 trim colors with a defined amount of body work, etc. for my short body M20E. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hawk will do the same job for 12 something. 

• Like 3

Thanks, that was going to be my next question what shops were reputable on the west coast.

ArtCraft in Santa Maria has painted quite a few Mooney’s whose owners are MS members. In my case they did an absolutely outstanding job in multi metallic colors (stripes) and also did some amazing airbrush work. They did the work several years ago, but you would think it was done yesterday. The folks there are easy to work with, but be sure you allocate a reasonable time for a full strip and paint. Good work takes a great deal of prep time. 917953d0ca029d747b719bd0bbfd4c3b.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bennett said:

ArtCraft in Santa Maria has painted quite a few Mooney’s whose owners are MS members. In my case they did an absolutely outstanding job in multi metallic colors (stripes) and also did some amazing airbrush work. They did the work several years ago, but you would think it was done yesterday. The folks there are easy to work with, but be sure you allocate a reasonable time for a full strip and paint. Good work takes a great deal of prep time.

I can vouch for the quality of Bennett's paint job having seen it myself.

• Like 3

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Mike, thanks, I did pick Hawk and am on his schedule for mid March.

Let me know when you take it Bob I will come up and show you mine maybe grab some lunch?  It is a quick flight for me from Naples.  You won’t be disappointed Joe is the best!

• Like 2