How reasonable are these estimates?

flyboy0681

40 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The reported altitude display is also nice since I fly under the Phx Class B frequently.

I'm not sure if that is really all that helpful?  The vertical limits of airspace is true altitude, but the "reported" altitude is pressure altitude (corrected to 29.92).  ATC computers correct your reported altitude based on the local altimeter setting.

Transponders...

I'm in the run it to failure swap out with the used KT76C...

nice push button display that doesn't interrupt your cognition process by turning knobs in reverse direction...

Then upgrade to KT74 for ADSB out compliance over the next two years...

See @Alan Fox for used transponders and things like this...

Best regards,

-a-

Just had a tire replaced and had my GTN750 updated. My 750 was two updates behind. It took all of about 15 minutes to update. No charge (but they had done all my avionics prior so I'm sure they've made it back over the years).

-Tom

I had two iterations of software for the GNS and an update for the GDl-69 and the shop charges me a total of an hour.  Logbook entries took longer than the software loads. They said they do updates for pretty much free if they have the cards and the installation was performed there. 

On 12/23/2017 at 8:38 AM, LANCECASPER said:

The Trig TT31, the King KT74 and the Avidyne AXP340 are all the same transponders made by Trig, just with difference faces on them.. I have the AXP340 version and am well satisfied. The King and Avidyne versions have direct enter number buttons which makes it a little easier. The face on the King probably looks the best in my opinion, although some people have mentioned that it is not bright enough if viewed at an angle. All three have the same functions - just different button pushes to get there.

Trig

5a3e6b7230d87_TrigTT31.jpg.b224bdb31f4cb78e7e67bdc65a35c48e.jpg

King

KT-74.jpg.50941b7534e76e837cf7ab48624d3bfd.jpg

Avidyne

AXP340-front-450.jpg.128e5502057dfdba1620281424f88e80.jpg

I have the KT-74 and like it except for one minor detail. The STC does NOT apply to the Avidyne IFD series of navigators, so if I am going to swap my 430W for a 440, I will have to swap out the KT-74 as well. :(

On 12/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, Andy95W said:

I'm not sure if that is really all that helpful?  The vertical limits of airspace is true altitude, but the "reported" altitude is pressure altitude (corrected to 29.92).  ATC computers correct your reported altitude based on the local altimeter setting.

Since there's always variation in what is the 'local altimeter setting', and especially what might actually be set in the Kollsman windows of a population of airplanes flying in a region, it's informative to me to see what the transponder is actually reporting.   It goes back to the reason of why the transponder reports pressure altitude rather than what your altimeter is reporting to you on its display.

While I appreciate all of the replies,  a lot of you are losing sight of one thing.. the plane is already ADS-B compliant and all I am looking for a very low cost transponder. A lot of the replies here point out state-of-the art units that cost thousands. My goal is to install a late model unit, which are now plentiful on the used market due to all of the ADS-B installs going on.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

While I appreciate all of the replies,  a lot of you are losing sight of one thing.. the plane is already ADS-B compliant and all I am looking for a very low cost transponder. A lot of the replies here point out state-of-the art units that cost thousands. My goal is to install a late model unit, which are now plentiful on the used market due to all of the ADS-B installs going on.

Buy an adaptor that's compatible with the KT76 and slide in a Garmin GTX320. They are super cheap used and reliable. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=garmin+gtx320&_sacat=0

5a401137afbd0_ScreenShot2017-12-24at2_36_31PM.png.692d1cc970ee71c34bcd8685f853ae30.png