cross country hotel stop

Jerry Pressley

Anyone travel cross country  east/west along the I-40 route and have a suggestion for fuel/hotel stop.  For more years than I care to remember I have stopped at Gallup, NM where the hotel restaurant is a short 5 minute walk from the airport.  Always friendly helpful FBO with fuel trucks and mechanics if needed.  Some of the planes I move may need a mechanics help so is important.  Lately things have gone to pot there.  I stopped recently and lost a tire.  The current FBO now closes the doors at 5 according to the signs.  I was there well before 5 and no one around. there is a note on the door to call after hours in order to get thru the man gate to leave the airport.  The plane was off the runway so was safe till morning.  Next morning I arrived at the 7 opening time. No one showed up till after 8 and I learned it would be three days before a mechanic with a tire could arrive from the FBO's other office in Flagstaff.  Fuel has gone to over $6.  Thanks to another pilot based there I was able to borrow a tire capable of making the rest of the trip to Bakersfield.  On the return leg a few days later I was again able to arrive well before 5.  No one again. and this one no one answered the phone to permit  leaving ther airport. I called the local police department who were very helpful. So does anyone have a suggestion of a place with handy hotel and restaurant?

My last time westward I stopped in Amarillo Tx, a nice 2/3 way fro east to west.

Tunica Ms is a nice stop just south of Memphis depends on how long you want your legs to be.

Gosh Stnelson I didn't notice you recommended Amarillo 

Second AMA. Tac air isn't bad. Fairfield hotel  and Buffalo Wild Wings near airport, if you can stand that type of crowd. Bodi AIr at double eagle in ABQ.  Lake  Haveasu, mutiple random spots in Texas. Plainview TX between Lubbock an AMA is a good stop. Holidayinn express hangar and crew car. Glendale AZ has good maintenance still. Sedona is cool but I don't really like it as not much service. Santafe has a nice FBO and the restaurant is good. They will actually send a line guy to pick up catering in town! Grand junction is great, but it's weather and terrain dependent and a bit north. Anything east or west of those places and I can get where I'm going usually. KDNA near elpaso is a good stop, but have not ever spent the night there. I normally travel more South as the terrain and weather are better. It's pretty simple out west, not too many choices as the fuel stops are spread out usually. 

-Matt

My last time westward I stopped in Amarillo Tx, a nice 2/3 way fro east to west.
Tunica Ms is a nice stop just south of Memphis depends on how long you want your legs to be.
Gosh Stnelson I didn't notice you recommended Amarillo 

I didn’t recommend KAMA because they charge way to much for a small town.
The town between Ama and lubbock is Plainview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk