Best Headset?

Candy man

I bought my first aviation headset a few months ago right after I bought our Mooney.  I did a lot of reading on the forums and in the end I chose the Clarity Alofts.  I've been wearing them ever since and really like them. 

At the end for me it was between the Halos and the Clarity Alofts.  I ended up going with the latter because the speaker elements were in the ear, vs. remote as with the Halos (I was a music engineer in a previous life and I've stayed picky about audio frequency response in my listening devices).

There are so many great choices out there these days!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SkyTrekker said:

I bought my first aviation headset a few months ago right after I bought our Mooney.  I did a lot of reading on the forums and in the end I chose the Clarity Alofts.  I've been wearing them ever since and really like them. 

At the end for me it was between the Halos and the Clarity Alofts.  I ended up going with the latter because the speaker elements were in the ear, vs. remote as with the Halos (I was a music engineer in a previous life and I've stayed picky about audio frequency response in my listening devices).

There are so many great choices out there these days!

you can get the clarity with bluetooth now too, which is cool

5 hours ago, Candy man said:

I couldn't resist!!

i can't stand earbuds so I'm not sure the halos are for me. I can wear my old D.C.,'s for 3 hours or so no problem. For me it's really between the Lightspeed and the Bose. The lightspeed are $250 cheaper but the Bose seem to be the non halo crowd favorite. Anyone else want to comment on the Lightspeed, I heard they were really generous with the silent auction items and that means a lot to me. Just not as much as comfort.

Lawrence 

Ear buds hurt my ears. And I don't like foam earplugs. Fortunately Halos come with silicone plugs that are so comfortable that even after seven years, I still sometimes forget I'm wearing them and try to get out of the plane . . . It's embarrassing when I'm not alone!  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I use a Lightspeed Zulu2.  5 hour flights are OK, there is some discomfort by the end, but I don't think it's worth spending another $500+ on another headset.

Halos would be perfect for you, they're only ~$350!!

Never had any discomfort other than yanking them off my head because I forgot to remove them before trying to get out of the plane. 

5 hours ago, Candy man said:

I couldn't resist!!

i can't stand earbuds so I'm not sure the halos are for me. I can wear my old D.C.,'s for 3 hours or so no problem. For me it's really between the Lightspeed and the Bose. The lightspeed are $250 cheaper but the Bose seem to be the non halo crowd favorite. Anyone else want to comment on the Lightspeed, I heard they were really generous with the silent auction items and that means a lot to me. Just not as much as comfort.

Lawrence 

I'm obviously in the Halo camp. But prior to the Halo's I went back and forth between Bose and Lightspeed. I ended up with the Zulu2's and still think they are better than the Bose. My brother, a Southwest Captain wears Bose because they are TSO'd. But after cross country flight in my Mooney and switching between the two, he wishes he could wear the Lightspeeds at work.

1 hour ago, Danb said:

Skyt how does the clarity aloft compare to the halo's

I haven't tried the Halos, so can't say 100%.  But I would think that the Alofts' frequency response is flatter and I would guess that the low end probably extends out further than the Halos.  Not a huge deal if you are just listening to spoken/ATC, but if you want hifi music, too, it might make a difference if you're an audiophile/pilot :-)  

Just now, SkyTrekker said:

I haven't tried the Halos, so can't say 100%.  But I would think that the Alofts' frequency response is flatter and I would guess that the low end probably extends out further than the Halos.  Not a huge deal if you are just listening to spoken/ATC, but if you want hifi music, too, it might make a difference if you're an audiophile/pilot :-)  

I'm not even close to being an audiophile.  Picked Halo over Aloft for the simplicity of repair should a sound tube require replacement.

• Like 2

Halo is supposed to be lighter on the ears than clarity because it's just ear plugs and not speakers hanging in th ears. Also supposed to be less noise because the ear plugs are simpler and with less surface without the speakers being there.

Also I wouldn't worry about hifi music audio in any case because it's a combination of being busy, still some noise pouring in, limitations of audio panel, ignition noise, alternator noise, strobe noise, radio static, 121.5 jokesters, ADSB squitter noise, etc. The audio quality of the headset cannot be appreciated in such a noisy (both audible and electronic) environment.

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Halos would be perfect for you, they're only ~$350!!

Never had any discomfort other than yanking them off my head because I forgot to remove them before trying to get out of the plane. 

I'd love to try them, but when I called, they weren't even taking a wait list for orders...

I have the Clarity Aloft for two years now and am very happy with them. It's easy with sunglasses and oxygen and far more comfy! The bluetooth module I don't actualy use, only when flying as a passenger to listen to music or make a call. During flying it's only a distraction. I bought a set for my dad too and he wishes he had them sooner.

Bluetooth in the headset never made any sense to me. I've got it with my Zulu 2's and never use it.  However, bluetooth to the audio panel is actually very useful. I have the PMA450a in my panel and the bluetooth is super easy to use and works beautifully. I've been on the phone in the climb with full power on and the person on the other end of the line couldn't tell I was in the airplane. It's also nice for streaming entertainment off the phone or ipad in flight. 

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Bluetooth in the headset never made any sense to me. I've got it with my Zulu 2's and never use it.  However, bluetooth to the audio panel is actually very useful. I have the PMA450a in my panel and the bluetooth is super easy to use and works beautifully. I've been on the phone in the climb with full power on and the person on the other end of the line couldn't tell I was in the airplane. It's also nice for streaming entertainment off the phone or ipad in flight. 

The RCO at my base just came back online after several months OTS, and I found it invaluable to be able to call for IFR clearance on the run-up pad. 

• Like 1

The RCO at my base just came back online after several months OTS, and I found it invaluable to be able to call for IFR clearance on the run-up pad. 

Same here. I have the Philly approach number and used the Bluetooth capability on my Zulus to pick up a clearance. Now that I have the Bluetooth built into the audio panel, I still have that and can share the music with everyone, whether they like it or not. Come on Lawrence Welk, let’s do that polka!
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I have XM on the g1000 system, but I still need to make phone calls occasionally or someone can listen to whatever they want and not have to share.

1 hour ago, neilpilot said:

Same here. When I moved from Denver to North Carolina, it also meant a move from a towered to a nontowered base and more use of IFR. I purchased a bluetooth capable headset specifically so I could call for clearances after engine start.  It's going to become even more valuable as the FAA continues its move to publishing clearance delivery phone numbers  which connect you directly to TRACONs and Centers.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Same here. I have the Philly approach number and used the Bluetooth capability on my Zulus to pick up a clearance. Now that I have the Bluetooth built into the audio panel, I still have that and can share the music with everyone, whether they like it or not. Come on Lawrence Welk, let’s do that polka!

I'm guessing Arthur Godfrey's 'Too Fat Polka' is not on your playlist.  ;)

• Like 1

I went from a passive DC to a Zulu 3 headset not too long ago.  So far I love the Zulus 

With regard to glasses - I’ve been wearing them since 4 years old.  The last sets of frames I got i chose specifically flat temple pieces for both my eyeglasses and sunglasses - no issues with pain from over the ear headsets and it maintains the seal much better.  I get enough ear plugs in my ears at work - prefer the over the ear headsets. 

Everybody is different.  It would be nice to go to a pilot shop and try a few headsets to see which is most comfortable.  Kinda old fashioned but that’s better than buying something expensive sight unseen and deciding later whether you love it or hate it.  

1 hour ago, bradp said:

Everybody is different.  It would be nice to go to a pilot shop and try a few headsets to see which is most comfortable.  Kinda old fashioned but that’s better than buying something expensive sight unseen and deciding later whether you love it or hate it.  

Fly up to Sportys at I69 and you can do that with many of the headsets that they carry. Then there's always Sun n Fun and Oshkosh . . . . Should be vendor booths with samples at some of the other large airshows around the country, too. 

Pacific Coast Avionics in Aurora, OR has a pilot headset station with everything they sell.  They also have demo stations for all the big avionics and instruments too.  Way to easy to break the bank in there....:);)

Imagine a lot of the big avionics shops would be the same. 

Cheers,

Brian

• 7 months later...

I stopped at the lightspeed booth and asked about the rubberized “soft touch “ coating on the control box that was turning sticky   They said that it was a bad decision on that model   They had me bring them to their techs and replaced them free of charge!!   Another reason to come to Oshkosh!

• Like 1

Flew with my brother in law to Oshkosh this year in his Cherokee 6. I was wearing my Zulu 3’s and he a set of Bose A20’s. I needed to buy another headset for a spare and we swapped headsets in flight so I could try the A20’s. Without a question, the ANR in the Bose headset was noticeably better that the Zulu’s. Both of us clearly noted the difference. I did not notice much of a difference in comfort level but was sold with how much quieter the Bose headset was. Bought one for the return trip! Still love my Zulu 3’s but I have to give a clear edge to the A20’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have Halo,s, which I like a lot, a pain in the butt when using O2, I also have Bose and Zulu’3 in the plane. I had the custom inserts made yesterday at Osh, once I get used to putting them in that will be great. Without the noise  canceling  on the Zulus are quieter when turned on the Bose are quieter. A big problem with in halos are the mic, I occasionally get your coming in garbled. Luckily we have numerous choices, many outlets provide 30 day return policy, for those on the fence go that route.