Best Headset?

Candy man

The wife is telling me to go Clarity aloft and while this may sound a bit pompous...this is not about saving money, its about "when momma's happy".  

So while I know you guys are happy with your Halo's, are you saying it is superior to Clarity Aloft or are you saying, for the money it's just as good?

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The one reliable way of buying a set, has been to buy them at Oshkosh. So this year I bought a spare set... just in case. But it didn't last very long and I was convinced to sell it to a friend trying to get a set for his wife... I'll get a spare set next year at Oshkosh for sure....

Maybe I should buy 10 sets at Oshkosh next year and then mark them up a little to resell throughout the year??? Hmmmmmm...

I had no idea they sold them at Oshkosh but I wasn't looking for them either...live and learn.  Thanks for the heads up!! 

27 minutes ago, Zulee said:

The wife is telling me to go Clarity aloft and while this may sound a bit pompous...this is not about saving money, its about "when momma's happy".  

So while I know you guys are happy with your Halo's, are you saying it is superior to Clarity Aloft or are you saying, for the money it's just as good?

It's very subjective to the wearer.

Halos use earplugs, and come with several sizes each of silicone and foam. The speakers are behind your head and the sound travels through tubes that penetrate the earplugs.

Clarity uses earbuds, where the actual speaker is in your ear. I've never tried Claritys, because every earbud I've ever used has been acutely painful in about 20 minutes . . . . .

1 minute ago, Hank said:

It's very subjective to the wearer.

Halos use earplugs, and come with several sizes each of silicone and foam. The speakers are behind your head and the sound travels through tubes that penetrate the earplugs.

Clarity uses earbuds, where the actual speaker is in your ear. I've never tried Claritys, because every earbud I've ever used has been acutely painful in about 20 minutes . . . . .

Hank, you made me laugh with your "acutely painful in 20 minutes" comment.  

I am just like you when it comes to putting something in my ear, it drives me nuts and makes my ear itch.  But the wifey uses earbuds all the time, including when she sleeps at night...so the Halo or Clarity is right up her alley.

42 minutes ago, Zulee said:

I'll say they're better than the Clarity's. Two reasons, first and most importantly they're more durable and secondly they're much cheaper. I would also argue the sound is better with the Halos's and the noise isolation better as well. But those last two reasons are very subjective so I'd discount them.

On the first point, the design is just much more durable and less likely to have problems. With the Clarity, since the speaker is in the ear bud, there are very small/fine wires going from the head band to the ear bud. Those wires are constantly subject to rolling up, kinking, folding, etc, in what can be a very harsh environment in the cockpit (especially if they're left in the airplane). The Halos on the other hand, have the speaker in the headband securely wrapped with shrink tubing so it can't move. From the speaker are just simple rubber tubes to the ear buds. There is really nothing to break, wear out, short, etc. I've been using the same set of Halos for over four years now without any problems. Meanwhile my Zulu 2's have been back for warrantee work once already.

Also because of the simplicity of the design, you can try lots of different ear buds to get some that are most comfortable for you. I even had some custom molds made at my local audiologist shop to fit the same rubber tubes. 

Needless to say, I'm a very happy customer for the Halo's... as is my wife.

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'll say they're better than the Clarity's. Two reasons, first and most importantly they're more durable and secondly they're much cheaper. I would also argue the sound is better with the Halos's and the noise isolation better as well. But those last two reasons are very subjective so I'd discount them.

On the first point, the design is just much more durable and less likely to have problems. With the Clarity, since the speaker is in the ear bud, there are very small/fine wires going from the head band to the ear bud. Those wires are constantly subject to rolling up, kinking, folding, etc, in what can be a very harsh environment in the cockpit (especially if they're left in the airplane). The Halos on the other hand, have the speaker in the headband securely wrapped with shrink tubing so it can't move. From the speaker are just simple rubber tubes to the ear buds. There is really nothing to break, wear out, short, etc. I've been using the same set of Halos for over four years now without any problems. Meanwhile my Zulu 2's have been back for warrantee work once already.

Also because of the simplicity of the design, you can try lots of different ear buds to get some that are most comfortable for you. I even had some custom molds made at my local audiologist shop to fit the same rubber tubes. 

Needless to say, I'm a very happy customer for the Halo's... as is my wife.

Thanks for the PIREP, greatly appreciated and not unlike other responses I've received.  It is just really weird when someone has such a sought after product and buyers, but no product...not a good business model.

Oh well, I guess I tell her to deal with the light speeds until Oshkosh 2019...don't seem to have any other alternatives.

Thanks again,

Rick

26 minutes ago, Zulee said:

Hank, you made me laugh with your "acutely painful in 20 minutes" comment.  

I am just like you when it comes to putting something in my ear, it drives me nuts and makes my ear itch.  But the wifey uses earbuds all the time, including when she sleeps at night...so the Halo or Clarity is right up her alley.

No, no, no! Halos are great! Been wearing mine for almost 8 troublefree years. Even my "altitude headaches" stopped when I started using the Halos. They are durable enough that I put my handheld radio in my cargo pocket, Halos on my head and mowed beside the runway for a couple of years. 

Earplugs, good. Foam earplugs, bad. Earbuds, very bad! Go Halo!

• Like 1

I'd send the email and keep sending, letting Phil know you've got money burning a whole in your pocket... they're for your wife.... she won't fly until she gets a good headset... etc.

Also monitor Beechtalk. They sometimes come up for sale on there. They usually don't last more than a day before someone buys them.

You can also call him. I lost an earplug, called to order more about 6 pm, and the good Doctor answered the phone himself! Even told me where on the website to find them. P.S.--Halos come with spare silicone earplugs, too.

1 hour ago, Zulee said:

Thanks for the PIREP, greatly appreciated and not unlike other responses I've received.  It is just really weird when someone has such a sought after product and buyers, but no product...not a good business model.

Oh well, I guess I tell her to deal with the light speeds until Oshkosh 2019...don't seem to have any other alternatives.

Thanks again,

Rick

I just bought some a couple of days ago but he said you have to call. They’re listed as “sold out” on the website.

Phil McCandless
Quiet Technologies, Inc.
122 Timbercrest Drive
Ridgeland, MS 39157
(601) 316-7160

I have both Halos and Clarity Alofts. I find I wear the Clarity more than the Halo. Simple reason is the wire band.

The only thing I don’t like is the way the tips attach. I carry a pair of fine needle nose pliers with me for those days when the tips come off in the ear canal. Makes for a funny Marauder moment watching him pull the tip out of the ear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Whether I'm in the flight levels with the mask on, or just on a cross country and only checking in with Center every 20 minutes or so, with the Halos, I take the wire band off my head and let it sit on my shoulders. When I have to check in with Center, just raise the mic to speak. 

The biggest problem people report with the Halos, is going to exit the airplane after landing and forgetting to remove the headset. 

IMG_1996.thumb.jpg.973fe856652b24e8ae9876e93040eb34.jpg

• Like 1

I had the Halo and used it for about 2 years and I liked it ok but I didn't love it.  I also have an A20 and I like that a lot more and over time I just started using it all the time.  So I know I am a minority but I sort of fell out of love with the halo entirely.  I mentioned it here a few years ago and someone pm'ed me and ask if I might sell it, and so I did.

• Like 1

I actually bought 2 sets of UflyMike, and Bose QC25 earphones second hand. $100 for the earphones, and $275 each for the uflymike. Tried them on a flight once, and I'd rank them right up there with my Bose A20 at a fraction of the cost. 

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I had the Halo and used it for about 2 years and I liked it ok but I didn't love it.  I also have an A20 and I like that a lot more and over time I just started using it all the time.  So I know I am a minority but I sort of fell out of love with the halo entirely.  I mentioned it here a few years ago and someone pm'ed me and ask if I might sell it, and so I did.

You’re not alone.  I traded mine for a pair of Zulu’s a few years ago.  I don’t miss them.

Clarence 

5 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

You’re not alone.  I traded mine for a pair of Zulu’s a few years ago.  I don’t miss them.

Clarence 

So one factor was that for several months of the year, if I left the headset in the airplane - its quite a jolt sticking 10F cold plastic or foam into your ear!  And if using the foam then it needs to warm up before it forms.  Which means sticking cold foam in my ear and waiting a few minutes with poor audio seal plus cold plugs in my ears.  I wonder if you "way up in Canada" had a similar experience.  In quotes way up....since you are south west of my position.

But really I didn't love it in the summer either.

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd send the email and keep sending, letting Phil know you've got money burning a whole in your pocket... they're for your wife.... she won't fly until she gets a good headset... etc.

Also monitor Beechtalk. They sometimes come up for sale on there. They usually don't last more than a day before someone buys them.

I will try calling and see if the wife won't fly will get me a sympathy pair.  ha!

Thanks

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Whether I'm in the flight levels with the mask on, or just on a cross country and only checking in with Center every 20 minutes or so, with the Halos, I take the wire band off my head and let it sit on my shoulders. When I have to check in with Center, just raise the mic to speak. 

The biggest problem people report with the Halos, is going to exit the airplane after landing and forgetting to remove the headset. 

IMG_1996.thumb.jpg.973fe856652b24e8ae9876e93040eb34.jpg

Even with traditional headsets is not a problem using the mask. The only limitation  I found with the mask vs cannula is for drinking and eating on long flights. Masks also makes you smell the food in your mouth.

José

DSC00426.JPG

• Like 2

I know this has mostly devolved into Halo vs Clarity, but I have a pair of Lightspeed Tangos and the wireless nature, along with the comfort, is fantastic. We got them because my wife thought they would be better for dealing with our son as he was only a year old when we started flying with him. She appreciated the lack of cables for him to grab. I tried them as well and found them to be very comfortable and used them on flights of up to six hours. The lack of cords is pretty freeing as well. You just have to be okay with keeping the batteries charged over night, but they lasted pretty long. 

Edited by Cooperd0g

Just recently purchased a Zulu 3 and absolutely love it. Have only flown a couple of times, so cannot speak to how it will hold up. I hesitated for quite a while, and read as many reviews as I could. I could not find any significant difference between the Zulu 3 and Bose, other than Lightspeed offers 7 year warranty. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $1000. The $850 for the Zulu 3 was as far as I could allow myself to go.

Again, based on very limited use so far, it is great. Only complaint is the length of the cord between plugs and the controller. They could have made it a little longer.

Just recently purchased a Zulu 3 and absolutely love it. Have only flown a couple of times, so cannot speak to how it will hold up. I hesitated for quite a while, and read as many reviews as I could. I could not find any significant difference between the Zulu 3 and Bose, other than Lightspeed offers 7 year warranty. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $1000. The $850 for the Zulu 3 was as far as I could allow myself to go.

Again, based on very limited use so far, it is great. Only complaint is the length of the cord between plugs and the controller. They could have made it a little longer.