Best Headset?

Candy man

13 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I don't even know what you mean by this.

I can probably figure out which side of the mic to talk into in 30 seconds by trial and error since no one has been helpful in looking at theirs to see if its the side with the round holes or the slotted holes.  It will just require another 40 minute drive to and from the airport in order to complete that 30 seconds of testing.

After that, I'll have to determine which set of earplugs will work best.  The foam ones work great when I tried them at Phil's booth in Hangar D or at home, but my plane is a LOT louder than Hangar D or the sounds around the house.  At work, the foam ones work the best, so I'm not too optimistic about the others, but I'll give them a try.  I really don't want to switch them out while in flight, so this will require 2-3 more flights for testing.  If you can complete a test flight in 30 seconds, your Mooney is a lot faster than mine! :)

Really...?

How stressed out are you over a low cost, simple headset?

My mike didn’t work, I rotated it, it worked great... I shared the detail, no drive to the airport needed...

unable to describe in great detail, I did the best I could with what I have...

When it comes to the ear plugs... same thing... try them at home... go with the ones that feel the most comfortable...

You won’t decide on what is best for you for a long time.

Its clearly not your fault... you are a pro pilot with a headset at work?

Phil didn’t set you up for failure.

Sometimes you just have to be nice... :)

complaints usually net experimental humor at the complainer’s cost...

Paul said it would take thirty seconds to experiment....

I outlined three ten second steps in great detail...

how much assistance do you need? Flat spots and mike looking circles... i’d Go with the mike looking circles...

All in good fun... friend.

You might still find the Bose are better at sound reduction... the Halos deliver the sound you want, past the sound you don’t want, at a price that is more than affordable...

get a set of Bose sound reducing headsets that the college kids use... put them over your Halos... (just an idea)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Cheap headset???  I paid $50 for the most expensive of the 3 headsets I currently have, although I did add the Headsets Inc. ANR kit to the set I traded away a bottle of rum for.  These Halo's cost me the equivalent of 4 months hangar rent!

I did some more experimenting with the headset today.  The mic picks up on the side with the round holes, not the slotted holes.  Strange thing though, the mic picked up well when using the PTT, but very poorly when using the intercom.  I don't have this issue with any of my other headsets.  I was able to make it acceptably work by turning the squelch way up, but I'm concerned whether it will play nice with the other headsets at that setting.  Since I was flying solo, I couldn't really check out how the multiple headsets work together.

The black ear pieces seemed to work the best in the plane for noise attenuation, though they were still pretty loud.  Oddly, the yellow ones were the quietest when trying them on at home.

55 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you don't like the Halo's you'll sell them quick here or on Beechtalk. Phil can't seem to make enough of them to keep up with demand.

I've rarely seen a pair last an hour, even at full price. But if selling them is too much trouble, Phil takes returns, too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I did some more experimenting with the headset today.  The mic picks up on the side with the round holes, not the slotted holes.  Strange thing though, the mic picked up well when using the PTT, but very poorly when using the intercom.  

I don't have this issue with any of my other headsets.  I was able to make it acceptably work by turning the squelch way up, but I'm concerned whether it will play nice with the other headsets at that setting.  

I edited SDB’s post for brevity and clarity...

This is a description of a typical wiring issue I have encountered with planes that have old intercoms added on top of old navcoms... on top of old headsets...

The Halos are pretty simple devices... if they work on the radio, they work the same when on the intercom...

Why it is so challenging to get everything to work... radios, intercom, and PTT is a simple mystery... that I haven’t figured out...

my system works perfectly... except one detail... it fails to deliver Sic’s voice to the pilot’s headset, when Sic hits the PTT... independent of the headset...

There are multiple settings and grounds that are responsible for this mystery, that probably require knowledge from a radio technician... to review and identify... or read a few manuals and check a few wires...

We probably need a thread on audio system integration... I bet grounding of the plugs is a major snafu... simple to fix...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Strange thing though, the mic picked up well when using the PTT, but very poorly when using the intercom.  I don't have this issue with any of my other headsets.  I was able to make it acceptably work by turning the squelch way up, but I'm concerned whether it will play nice with the other headsets at that setting.  Since I was flying solo, I couldn't really check out how the multiple headsets work together.

I'm having similar problems with my Halos in my current plane.  I had a GMA 340 in my last plane and the Halos integrated perfectly.  This plane has an old PS engineering intercom, my Bose and Telex work great, but not so much for the Halos.  When using the Halos the side tone (Hearing myself) is nearly gone when I transmit and it is very weak when using the intercom.  My passengers and other aircraft claim to hear me just fine.  The strange thing is the audio is much louder with the halos. The combination makes me feel like I have a head cold.  And for some reason the audio from the rear seats though the intercom is extremely loud with the halos. If I turn the intercom volume down to a comfortable level I can no longer hear my co pilot (usually wife)  That can be bad....

Non of these problems exist if I use my Bose.  The halos work well when in other aircraft with modern audio panels/intercoms.  The whole thing confuses me.  I guess I'm need an avionics upgrade:D.

Cheers,

Dan

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you don't like the Halo's you'll sell them quick here or on Beechtalk.

I'm well aware of how quick they sell and how hard they are to find, so I'm not overly concerned about the issues.  Their stellar reputation is why I found Phil Monday morning at Oshkosh before he ran out.  I like the light feel and not having my head in a vice, so I'd rather figure out how to make them work well rather than sell them, but that's always an option.

11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Have you tried flipping the stereo/mono switch on the Halos?

I have and it seems to make no difference, other than I can make one ear louder than the other that way.

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

If I turn the intercom volume down to a comfortable level I can no longer hear my co pilot (usually wife)

I can think of multiple scenarios where that would be preferable or at least a good excuse.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:29 AM, teejayevans said:

What’s your longest trip? I’ve worn my Bose for 12 hours with a short break for fuel, no headache or discomfort.

A blip-in-time by that timescale; ~4hours.    My partner gifted his A20s to me and I just replaced the ear seals using the refurb kit.   Maybe it's time to try them....

A blip-in-time by that timescale; ~4hours.    My partner gifted his A20s to me and I just replaced the ear seals using the refurb kit.   Maybe it's time to try them....

That’s my biggest gripe, the ear cushions last 2 years, the plastic starts peel off. Prefer cloth, but I’m guessing it would not seal as well and let noise in.

1 minute ago, teejayevans said:

That’s my biggest gripe, the ear cushions last 2 years, the plastic starts peel off. Prefer cloth, but I’m guessing it would not seal as well and let noise in.

Yeah, that's his gripe, too, among others.   (...that, and he now works for DC)

• 4 weeks later...

I realize this is a pretty old string but I wanted to ask those that have the Halo headset for a little guidance.  

My wife hates wearing headsets and not because of the bad hair day, she just can't stand the squeeze feeling and the inability to nap comfortably.  I read a lot of comments about not liking things in their ears and I am definitely one of those people, sold a pair of Clarity Aloft a year ago just for that reason.  

Never crossed my mind to have her try them before I sold them...duh!!

If I am going to invest in another pair of in-ear headsets and if the Halo is superior to the Clarity Aloft...I would appreciate your experience between the two.  I am a little concerned with some of the lack of quality comments made around the volume control box, length of the cord, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rick

I've never tried the Clarity Aloft but have had a set of Halo's for a couple years now and have been very happy with them. I bought my wife a set earlier this year and she is very happy with them too, wishes we had gotten them sooner. (Disclaimer, both of us have been wearing earbuds with phones, music, etc... for years).

Not sure about the quality comments you are referring to. I haven't had any issues with the volume control box. The cord is a little too long for me but I just coiled it up and put a small zip tie on it and it is perfect.

5 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I've never tried the Clarity Aloft but have had a set of Halo's for a couple years now and have been very happy with them. I bought my wife a set earlier this year and she is very happy with them too, wishes we had gotten them sooner. (Disclaimer, both of us have been wearing earbuds with phones, music, etc... for years).

Not sure about the quality comments you are referring to. I haven't had any issues with the volume control box. The cord is a little too long for me but I just coiled it up and put a small zip tie on it and it is perfect.

Thanks for the feedback Skates.  

Since you've never owned Clarity Aloft it would be unfair to ask for a comparison of the two or what makes Halo superior or it is economics?  

My wife wears ear buds all the time too so she will not have the same issue of "somethings in my ear" syndrome like I do.

I've had my Halos for seven or eight years, all original except I replaced the silicone tips with a spare pair that came with it. I hate fiam earplugs--they are hot, and if you don't roll them and insert them just right, they ooze out. So I wear the silicone plugs that come with them, and I wear silicone earplugs at work instead of the foamies there, too.

On the other hand, earbuds hurt when I eear them for any length of time (more than a few minutes). The Halo speakers are on thenwire band behind your head; Clarity Aloft uses earbuds with additional soundproofing around tbem to reduce ambient noise.

For durability, I wore the Halos while driving a tractor mowing beside the runway for a couple of years, and also swveral days while cleaning and repajnting the runway numbers. My handheld was in the cargo pocket on my pants. There is still some white paint on the cord. Yes, the cord looks thin and weak, but in addition to the above, I have tried to exit the pkane several times (many times?) While still wearing them, which snatches them sideways off of my head. Ain't had no problems yet . . .

I'd let her test mine (I bought additional spare silicon tips for $3/pair), but I gave away all of the foam tips in two sizes that came with them. Is SUS close to Lower Alabama? No, we are out of the path of Tropical Storm Gordon tonight. 

2 hours ago, Zulee said:

Thanks for the feedback Skates.  

Since you've never owned Clarity Aloft it would be unfair to ask for a comparison of the two or what makes Halo superior or it is economics?  

My wife wears ear buds all the time too so she will not have the same issue of "somethings in my ear" syndrome like I do.

No, I can't give any comparison, only that I am happy enough with the Halo's that I don't see any reason to try something different. "If it ain't broke..."

• 4 weeks later...
email Phil and ask.  Maybe he has a wait list. 
pmccandless@protonmail.com

Phil when I spoke to him last was still having difficulties finding qualified people to make them. That was last year. Sounds like he still is having the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The one reliable way of buying a set, has been to buy them at Oshkosh. So this year I bought a spare set... just in case. But it didn't last very long and I was convinced to sell it to a friend trying to get a set for his wife... I'll get a spare set next year at Oshkosh for sure....

Maybe I should buy 10 sets at Oshkosh next year and then mark them up a little to resell throughout the year??? Hmmmmmm...