Best Headset?

Candy man

When I fly with O2 or even just on long trips, I take the Halo frame off my head and let it sit around my neck. The tubes are long enough to still allow the ear buds to stay in the ears. This allows me to easily use a mask when I'm up high in the flight levels, and even easy with the cannula down lower.

It's like not wearing a headset at all. And on the rare occasions that ATC has something to say to me, I just pick up the mic and speak into it.

IMG_2928.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Sorry to hear that. Nancy would have bought it from you. :rolleyes: Hers is the older Pro-X model.

They have a 30 day money back guarantee I used. The new plane is so quiet it doesn't matter but the Bose anr is a bit better imo. Ive worn Clark's since I started flying but I just couldn't keep those.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

At some point, you gotta descend and land. Around here, half the year that's hot and sweaty . . . .

I have collaborators whom I work with at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville.  I have had go down there a couple of times.  When they say, come down in August - I laugh.  I say, see ya in January!

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

When I fly with O2 or even just on long trips, I take the Halo frame off my head and let it sit around my neck. The tubes are long enough to still allow the ear buds to stay in the ears. This allows me to easily use a mask when I'm up high in the flight levels, and even easy with the cannula down lower.

It's like not wearing a headset at all. And on the rare occasions that ATC has something to say to me, I just pick up the mic and speak into it.

IMG_2928.jpg

you plastic mustache people look silly!  Try the cool and chic oxyarm!

Seriously - it is more comfortable - it doesn't even need to touch your nose but can be set to position millimeters from your nose and the contact point is on your (real) headset and it moves with your head and no tugging of tubes on your nose. (I know I used to do it the old way).

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

you plastic mustache people look silly!  Try the cool and chic oxyarm!

Seriously - it is more comfortable - it doesn't even need to touch your nose but can be set to position millimeters from your nose and the contact point is on your (real) headset and it moves with your head and no tugging of tubes on your nose. (I know I used to do it the old way).

I need an oxyarm for the o2d2 I just have a hard time spending the hundred bucks for a 5 dollar part. I guess I should just do it.

4 minutes ago, peevee said:

I need an oxyarm for the o2d2 I just have a hard time spending the hundred bucks for a 5 dollar part.

I originally had the same opinion - so go online and you can buy medical oxyarms for like $10 bucks.  It is almost the same thing.  I cut off the head hoop thing from that (but you clarity aloft/quiet technology people can just use the medical oxyarm as is) and it works fine.  But then 2 years ago I saw the aviation oxyarm. and it was clearly more robust - and while way over priced at $100 for a hunk of plastic, it does improve quality and comfort so I got it and I enjoy it.

https://www.1800cpap.com/oxyarm-clear-head-band-with-nasal-cannula-arm-and-7ft-oxygen-tubing.aspx?gclid=eaiaiqobchmipdzvg-qx2aivlrxach1ydwofeaqyayabegk2apd_bwe

btw I use it with the o2d2 as well.  Fantastic setup. And I put the o2d2 on the ceiling between the two seats - slightly behind - so it is clean with the tubes - tank in the back set behind the copilot - tubes up to the o2d2, then tubes down to pilot and co pilot.  Clean and no tangles, and I can look up and see the o2d2 blinking and delivering o2.

Also nice about o2o2 - its easy up and down - so I set it up before I startup - on my helmet and test - then I flip up the arm out of the way for ground operations but headset on.  Then as I am flying up through say 8 or 9 k on my way up I flip the oxyarm into place and flip on the o2d2 and confirm o2 delivery before I get too high.  That take like a moment.  Then later on my descent I reverse the process

Edited by aviatoreb

I guess I'll order some.

It just annoys me how insanely overpriced everything O2 related is. The mic mask they sell for 500 bucks is a 30 dollar respirator with an extra home plugged and a 30 dollar mic installed.

Our o2d2 lives in the center console because there's a USB power adapter in there to power it. It's the best 1k I've spent in aviation, it doesn't save much money because we fill in the hangar but it sure saves a lot of hassle never needing O2 on the road.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

You can buy cloth covers for 0.01 AMU, no sweating and they save wear and tear on the ear muffs.

But that won't stop clamp-pressure headaches after 2-3 hours in the air. BTDT, took the Excedrin. Not a problem with my Halos, no pressure and no weight, glasses don't make them louder and they work with every hat I own.

• Thanks 1

The best headset is the one you can afford and can wear for 5+ hours a day without noticing its there. That's different for everyone. For me its the A20, I have logged close to 10hrs in a single day as PIC with it on and you actually forget you are wearing it. I think the Halos are awesome but I don't like the idea of something being stuck in my ear for long periods of time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The best headset is the one you can afford and can wear for 5+ hours a day without noticing its there. That's different for everyone. For me its the A20, I have logged close to 10hrs in a single day as PIC with it on and you actually forget you are wearing it. I think the Halos are awesome but I don't like the idea of something being stuck in my ear for long periods of time. 

It’s like flight bags, you need to find one that works for you. Like almost everyone else, I started with Clark passives, then bought the original Clark ANRs, only to find my noggin was being squashed like an overripe melon.

I moved to the original Telex ANR and wore them until they broke and couldn’t/wouldn’t be fixed by Telex. I took them up on their $300 towards a new pair of ANRs only to find a hated the fit. I then bought a pair of Lightspeed first generation Zulus, then a pair of Halos, then Clarity Alofts, only to find myself back to the Zulus unless it is really hot out.

Do you think this discussion is in the same category as women and their shoes? Sure feels the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2017 at 8:11 AM, bluehighwayflyer said:

Come on, let's all come to an agreement now about which one is most attractive!

I like my Halos but they lose miserably in this department.  They make you look like an aerobics instructor. :wacko:

I found the Halos difficult to get used to, once I did they are really comfortable.  Mike's Garth quote is spot on.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

As a longtime fan of Halos one of the features that I like most is that I can wear any pair of sunglasses in total comfort. A few weeks ago I took a ride in a friends Trinidad and used his Zulu2 while wearing sunglasses with a thick temple. The pain level after 20 minutes was intense. 

Might as well add 2 cents. I really love my DC pro X I am in the hate Puting plugs in my ears crowd and they aren't affected by glasses. Also only  weigh 7 ounces and fold up real compactly. ANR is very good in fact I leave off until in cruise since I really want to hear my engine during taxi run up and climb. They are so quiet that it took some getting used to. Super comfortable to wear and since they don't cover over my ears they don't make things sweaty when it's hot out. Also much less expensive than other brands.

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Might as well add 2 cents. I really love my DC pro X I am in the hate Puting plugs in my ears crowd and they aren't affected by glasses. Also only  weigh 7 ounces and fold up real compactly. ANR is very good in fact I leave off until in cruise since I really want to hear my engine during taxi run up and climb. They are so quiet that it took some getting used to. Super comfortable to wear and since they don't cover over my ears they don't make things sweaty when it's hot out. Also much less expensive than other brands.

I loved my PRO-X until I got the ONE-X. And Nancy loves the PRO-X which replaced Telex ANRs which came with the plane and which I'd sell cheap. (The infrequent back seat folks have very nice, reconditioned 30+ year old, passive DCs.) 

But that won't stop clamp-pressure headaches after 2-3 hours in the air. BTDT, took the Excedrin. Not a problem with my Halos, no pressure and no weight, glasses don't make them louder and they work with every hat I own.

Have you ever worn the Bose A20s? There is practically no pressure, no clamping, you can shake them off if you wanted. I’ve worn them for 9 hour cross country trips with only a short fuel stop, during the summer...no problems, no sweating, no headaches...my sunglasses are aviator types with thin temples which I bend slightly to make them flush so they don’t pry the muff away.
It simply comes down whether you like something stuck in your ears for hours. I even is used a normal headset with my iPod.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

I bend slightly to make them flush so they don’t pry the muff away.

I couldn't resist!!

i can't stand earbuds so I'm not sure the halos are for me. I can wear my old D.C.,'s for 3 hours or so no problem. For me it's really between the Lightspeed and the Bose. The lightspeed are $250 cheaper but the Bose seem to be the non halo crowd favorite. Anyone else want to comment on the Lightspeed, I heard they were really generous with the silent auction items and that means a lot to me. Just not as much as comfort.

Lawrence 

Edited by Candy man

35 minutes ago, Candy man said:

I couldn't resist!!

i can't stand earbuds so I'm not sure the halos are for me. I can wear my old D.C.,'s for 3 hours or so no problem. For me it's really between the Lightspeed and the Bose. The lightspeed are $250 cheaper but the Bose seem to be the non halo crowd favorite. Anyone else want to comment on the Lightspeed, I heard they were really generous with the silent auction items and that means a lot to me. Just not as much as comfort.

Lawrence 

I bought a Lightspeed Zulu3 recently and have been really enjoying it.   No complaints at all, hardly know it's there, it just works and lots of nice features (like auto-off to save the battery, etc.).