Mountain Bikes

INA201

7 minutes ago, INA201 said:

Thinking of buying a couple of mountain bikes.  Will these suckers fit in the back of my J with the rear seat removed?  Just curious.  I don't want a folding bike at this point just regular mountain bikes.  Thanks

A Mooney owner here routinely flies with mountain bikes. They are folding kind. Montag? Or something like that. He needs to take the front wheel off, but I have seen him get them into his 80 J.

I fit two high end 29er high end mountain bikes into the back of mine, along with luggage for week get away. Wheels and seats come off and the frames go into bags and the wheels go into wheel bags which go on top of the bikes. A bit of a hassle but being serious about our single track mountain biking I wouldn't even consider a folding bike. We've flown them as far away as Alpine Tx from Southern Cal to ride by Big Bend in the winter. There are a few other threads on this that include pictures.

Edited by kortopates

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

I fit two high end 29er high end mountain bikes into the back of mine, along with luggage for week get away. Wheels and seats come off and the frames go into bags and the wheels go into wheel bags which go on top of the bikes. A bit of a hassle but being serious about our single track mountain biking I wouldn't even consider a folding bike. We've flown them as far away as Alpine Tx from Southern Cal to ride by Big Bend in the winter. There are a few other threads on this that include pictures.

Thanks

I found the previous thread after posting this. Most bikes the front wheels come off pretty easily which may be adequate. I'm not looking for high end bikes but mostly reliable for general use and trail riding.  Gonna go by the bike shop tomorrow and see what transpires.

9 hours ago, INA201 said:

Thinking of buying a couple of mountain bikes.  Will these suckers fit in the back of my J with the rear seat removed?  Just curious.  I don't want a folding bike at this point just regular mountain bikes.  Thanks

They will, but I'd recommend learning how to take apart a bike. as in take the forks off. its super easy once you do it a couple times.

• Like 1

I have one of these.  It is a full sized mountain bike and you can actually even ride it off trail with no excuses if you buy the better one with a quality shock.

https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/paratrooper/

AND if folds instantly and if you take both wheels off the frame can be put into the airplane through the baggage door - and I put the wheels in a wheel bag (to keep the plane clean) and they go through the door very easily.  One bike can be carried with the rear seats in place.

Wheel bag: https://www.amazon.com/Padded-Double-Wheels-Separate-Compartments/dp/B005P9RA2M/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1513737613&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=bike+wheel+bag+double&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I took my full size mountain bike to BurningMan with me. I took off the front wheel, seat, and peddles. It all went fine through the door into my 252 with the back seats removed.

right - I have gotten my standard 29er in my plane, and my road bike and my tt bike - and they all go in with some struggle from the front door partially disassembled.

But if you do it a lot then the Montague bike goes in a lot easier as I said and through the baggage door.

• Like 1

I love my Brompton. It’s not a mountain bike but it fits behind the back seat of my M20C perfectly. It folds up much smaller than the Montague and it folds and unfolds in just a few seconds. My local bike shop sells a number of brands including the Brompton and Montague. The shop owner talked me out of the Montague in favor of the Brompton, for what I was looking for in a bike. With the 6 speed version it will climb very steep grades with ease. It’s great on streets and dirt roads but for real off road mountain biking, not so much. It’s great if you are at a small airport and want to ride a few miles into town or go sightseeing. Just my  giving you my two cents.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AZM20C said:

I love my Brompton. It’s not a mountain bike but it fits behind the back seat of my M20C perfectly. It folds up much smaller than the Montague and it folds and unfolds in just a few seconds. My local bike shop sells a number of brands including the Brompton and Montague. The shop owner talked me out of the Montague in favor of the Brompton, for what I was looking for in a bike. With the 6 speed version it will climb very steep grades with ease. It’s great on streets and dirt roads but for real off road mountain biking, not so much. It’s great if you are at a small airport and want to ride a few miles into town or go sightseeing. Just my  giving you my two cents.

If ridden those - (borrowed) and they are fantastic as a folder and as a noodle around bike.  But a Montague is lets you do real mountain bike riding off road. And a road bike of course is what you want if you want to go somewhere and ride a lot of miles.  For my road bike I just put the whole thing in the back, wheels and seat post off.