Annual Questions - ‘65 E

The pump pictured is a Dukes, best overhaul price is Aero Motors LLC in Wisconsin.  The Weldon is the even better version.  However if your Dukes still makes good pressure it may not need an overhaul.

Depending on which model of Dukes pump you have you may also have an Airmaze in line filter between the pump and the firewall in the same compartment as the pump.

Clarence

On 1/14/2018 at 10:22 PM, carusoam said:

Nice sharp detailed photo, PIC.

Looking forward to the other photos... :)

Looks like some timing lines marked on the starter gear.  You can even see the wear on the gear's teeth from when the starter engages and pushes it around...

Best regards,

-a-

That mark on the flywheel is actually where I started counting teeth to make sure it was the right number...I think it was 149 teeth.  At the time I verified it I knew but not sure now. 

On 1/14/2018 at 11:43 PM, M20Doc said:

The safety wire on the Inter-Av alternator mounting bolt is missing.

Clarence

Yep, I started to remove the alternator to get the starter off.  Yes, good eye. 

• Like 1

I’m ordering a new gascolator screen and gasket.  

The old one was pinched.  We are pulling the injectors so I’ll make sure if anything got past it they are not clogged but if I’m not mistaken there is another filter past the auxiliary fuel pump.

What micron is the screen?

Looks like the gasket is 2”x1/8”

Tim

50B6B846-B287-4459-8BDE-30BB2AA70F7F.jpeg

00CBA30A-C114-4299-B921-29E2F5D50C87.jpeg

That brings up another question.  The boot from the power boost into the fuel injection body has at least 1 hole.  Some guys are saying to patch it.  Do you guys have any experience with that?

LASAR was out but should have some more in for a few bills. 

1 hour ago, Pictreed said:

That brings up another question.  The boot from the power boost into the fuel injection body has at least 1 hole.  Some guys are saying to patch it.  Do you guys have any experience with that?

LASAR was out but should have some more in for a few bills. 

That boot is one of the weakest pieces of garbage in our airplanes... I am not an A&P or IA but "I have a friend" with a boot patched after holes developed in a new one quickly (use fuel tank sealant) and it has held up great.

• Like 1

if it has a mooney part number, it comes from Mooney...

If it has a Lasar part number, it comes from Lasar...

Asking Lasar directly has always gotten a direct reply with no surprises.  Some personnel changes have occurred with the retirement and change of ownership.  

But no changes in quality of parts and services have been noted...

PP thinking only, Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, Immelman said:

That boot is one of the weakest pieces of garbage in our airplanes... I am not an A&P or IA but "I have a friend" with a boot patched after holes developed in a new one quickly (use fuel tank sealant) and it has held up great.

While the intake boot is expensive and not of great quality, I would be worried about pieces of repair material being ingested by the engine or fuel servo.  An engine failure would cost significantly more than a new boot.

Clarence

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

While the intake boot is expensive and not of great quality, I would be worried about pieces of repair material being ingested by the engine or fuel servo.  An engine failure would cost significantly more than a new boot.

Clarence

I can understand that concern, but have you seen the inside of the boot when it begins to disintegrate? It flakes apart and those chunks of the smooth inner lining go straight into the servo and induction system.

Edited by Immelman

4 hours ago, Immelman said:

I can understand that concern, but have you seen the inside of the boot when it begins to disintegrate? It flakes apart and those chunks of the smooth inner lining go straight into the servo and induction system.

I‘I’ve seen the deterioration and have changed a few in my time.  The engine can ingest small flakes, but a chunk of PRC which is plugging a hole?

Clarence 

Hopefully the new boot will be in by Friday from LASAR with a new gascolator gasket and o-rings.  Someone didn’t have the proper gasket and shaved this one down...pic.

We found a cross threaded fuel injector line this weekend.  So hopefully fixing that clears up some minor back firing issues when the engine is started back up after fueling or such. 

image.jpg