Why Pilots Matter

7 minutes ago, 201er said:

" Despite the unpredictable nature of flying, there has not been a fatal commercial airline accident the United States since February 2009."

Asiana Airlines Flight 214, July 6, 2013, 3 fatalities

Poor writing. He probably meant no US airlines had fatal accidents while flying in the US . . . . Gotta remember to keep expectations low when dealing with the media!  ;)  "Journalists" sure aren't what they used to be. 

30 minutes ago, Hank said:

Poor writing. He probably meant no US airlines had fatal accidents while flying in the US . . . . Gotta remember to keep expectations low when dealing with the media!  ;)  "Journalists" sure aren't what they used to be. 

Maybe we just need more automated journalists

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  Yep its meant to say US flagged carrier.  Corrected.  And I'm not a lobbyist:-)

Sorry, George--I didn't follow the link, just extrapolated from the quote above my reply.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

There have been no fatal accidents on US certificated airlines since 2009 either in or outside the US.

Look, any way you cut it US airline transportation is the safest way to travel ever invented by anyone.  If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that drones are ready for prime time.  Whether they ever will be is debatable, since ma nature, passengers, and the occasion mechanical hiccup can throw a wrench in the works the bot just can't overcome.  A flummoxed pilot will at least guess and might even get it right. Machines don't do very well when things move beyond their parameters.

• Like 2