Toy Mooney? Hot wings?

Seth

I’ve noticed I can’t find a small die cast or toy Mooney for my daughter.

She calls many airplanes Mooney right now, but I’d love to find one for her in the future.

Do we all contact Hot Wings and ask them to make a Mooney?  Anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction?

I know someone built an R/C Mooney a few years ago but I’m thinking smaller Hot Wings (3-4 inch) Mooney.

Thanks!

-Seth

• Like 1

Seth, contact Rob Dutton at the factory. They had made some cute little Mooney models that they were giving out to people who took a tour. They may still have some. The purpose was to demonstrate some of their new precision cutting machinery, as I recall, but with some fine-bristle brushes and a steady hand you could paint it up nice. It’s pretty small...maybe 3-4” tip to tail, so not sure if that’s what you’re looking for.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Seth, contact Rob Dutton at the factory. They had made some cute little Mooney models that they were giving out to people who took a tour. They may still have some. The purpose was to demonstrate some of their new precision cutting machinery, as I recall, but with some fine-bristle brushes and a steady hand you could paint it up nice. It’s pretty small...maybe 3-4” tip to tail, so not sure if that’s what you’re looking for.

They should sell these every time they have a booth up at an event! I'd love a couple. Maybe authorize someone to make an RC kit, too! New customers must hear of Mooney somewhere before shopping for one . . . .

Anyone have a good contact at the factory to pass the word along to???

• Like 1

I would contact either Rob Dutton or Lance Phillips at the factory.  I saw in the latest AOPA mag they had listed Lance as the CEO...not sure if that's really his title now but he's a good guy, as is Rob. Either would be happy to take the suggestion.

And just so you can see it, I've posted a pic of the one they gave me in June. You'll notice that I'm no artist so I haven't tried to embellish it with any paint, but I think it would be possible. It's been cut out of some type of laminate plastic, so you'd probably have to use oil paint. I know it's hard to get scale, with it flying gracefully over the wood grain of my kitchen table, but it's about four inches long as I said earlier.

Mooney Model Plane.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the(an) RC Mooney.  She's a big one.  80"+ wingspan.

Bought her second hand from an older guy who wasn't/couldn't fly RC anymore.  Got it all fixed up and then I never flew it either.  It's a shame.  She is a beautiful plane, but I started focusing on full scale and haven't flown any of my RC stuff in a pretty long while. 

I guess it was foreshadowing that one day I would be a Mooney driver.QXmR32s.jpgGHs3XbV.jpgvGz2eao.jpgeHtjhyq.jpgikLGgtz.jpg

• Like 10

I know what you mean, Bob. My transmitters are now a generation or two behind, and I have two planes "under construction" since I started full scale lessons in 2006. The airport advertised RC demo and Plane rides--I was fairly new in town, went hoping to meet RC pilots and find the flying fields. Instead, I took a ride and signed up for lessons starting three days later . . . .

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2017 at 7:26 AM, bob865 said:

I have the(an) RC Mooney.  She's a big one.  80"+ wingspan.

Bought her second hand from an older guy who wasn't/couldn't fly RC anymore.  Got it all fixed up and then I never flew it either.  It's a shame.  She is a beautiful plane, but I started focusing on full scale and haven't flown any of my RC stuff in a pretty long while. 

I guess it was foreshadowing that one day I would be a Mooney driver.QXmR32s.jpgGHs3XbV.jpgvGz2eao.jpgeHtjhyq.jpgikLGgtz.jpg

Has it been resealed or does it have bladders? 

24 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Has it been resealed or does it have bladders? 

Funny that you ask.  I just recently sold it when I moved and first question the guy asked was about access to the fuel tank to work on it.  :lol::D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Only slightly off topic, does anyone know of a source for Mooney model planes?

I've looked--plastic, die cast, balsa, RC--and come up dry. If you find a source, let me know! 

Just now, Hank said:

I've looked--plastic, die cast, balsa, RC--and come up dry. If you find a source, let me know! 

This looks like a good opportunity for someone with more talent than me.

• Haha 1

Not a toy or RC but James Avery (jewelry company) headquarters is in kerrville Texas.   They produced a line of airplane pendants that had the tail on the proper way.  Some have been converted into tie tack - earnings etc.  I have the hat pin on my flight bag - earrings and pendant for my daughter when she gets older.  The current production is of more generic airplane so you have to find the Mooneys on eBay etc now.  I know this doesn’t answer the OP question but I was happy to find them.

You can get them with J bar  -  bladders. - LOP/ROP  all the same if you can find them. 

75756255-9922-4680-A152-0C9A7E627FE7.png

• Haha 1