Selling my Plane

Ron McBride

1 minute ago, N803RM said:

I am probably going to take my 69F to All American Aircraft to have them sell it.  Are there any suggestions of what I need to do prior to doing that.  The plane is in annual, all AD's are current etc. My biggest thought is insurance. Any others?

Ron

List it here for a week first.

If you have some skill and want to try to sell it yourself...

1) Need to get a proposed price for it...

2) Need to get some HD photos for it, inside and out...

3) need a list of all the things it comes with...

4) Copy all the logs, because the final buyer will want to see them before buying...

For examples, see the AAA web site, for how they do it...

When all else fails... contact Jimmy or David to see what else you can supply.

Definitely want to keep it insured and hangared while in shiny waxed condition...

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy yet...

Best regards,

-a- 

Make sure all of your documents are in order, log books, STC’s, 337’s, ICA’s, List of AD’s with tracking.  

Airplane should be spotless inside and out, belly, wheel wells, windows cleaned and polished, spinner polished etc.

Any obvious maintenance items corrected etc.

Yours has to be head and shoulders above the others on the market. Clean and organized sells.

Clarence

13 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I'm not sure....

There have been some pretty brutal reviews of prospective sales here.  However, if the seller has a good set of asbestos underwear go for it.

We just have a good understanding of the current value of these airplanes. So don't come on here and try to bullshit us about the value. Planes that are priced right, with owners who are honest about the condition, get sold quick on this site. I sold my C on this site in 2 weeks.

A seller looking for a sucker won't find one on this forum.

You still might want the fire suit. ;)

• Like 1

We just have a good understanding of the current value of these airplanes. So don't come on here and try to bullshit us about the value. Planes that are priced right, with owners who are honest about the condition, get sold quick on this site. I sold my C on this site in 2 weeks.
A seller looking for a sucker won't find one on this forum.
You still might want the fire suit. 

We have an understanding of the current value, the issue is that the potential buyer doesn’t.

When you do a vRef on my plane, the “value” shows $108k based on the equipment installed, hours on the engine, etc. The VRef also doesn’t take into consideration the value of enhancements people make. Like the $1500 plus labor to install LEDs or the $2150 for the CiES senders and the JPI 900 modification to work with them.

In reality, no one would offer me that kind of money (sans one desperate Cherokee owner on my field who wants to buy my plane for $100k). Everyone knows an F is at best a $55k plane, right?

This is why I tell people considering upgrading a plane, they better have long range plans on enjoying their investment. Because as Gus suggestions, if I said I want $100k for my F, the CB herd comes out to tell me why my HIGHLY modified F is only worth $55k.

Watch this. Any takers for my F for $102k?

9ff2ce2b0668e12d75a85affc9457642.jpg

dfafacb06d7e682c7da41777fb749050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Marauder said:

This is why I tell people considering upgrading a plane, they better have long range plans on enjoying their investment. Because as Gus suggestions, if I said I want $100k for my F, the CB herd comes out to tell me why my HIGHLY modified F is only worth $55k.

Watch this. Any takers for my F for $102k? emoji23.png

Sorry, 101 is my top offer!

Edited by 201er
  • Like 1

Pfft.   Doesn't even have carpet or a glare shield.

Without carpet it drops to 35K  :-)
In fact I'll pay 35K for the panel. You can keep the rest for beer cans :-)  
I'm making a joke OK?  :-) No flaming spears my way please. 

They are being ordered. Better select which one before I place the order! Which carpet do you think was selected by Mrs. Marauder? Seat leather in the middle of the samples.

9d171921203d6d9fb692eebdfe655189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A problem for sellers.  Often an aircraft isn't worth what the seller has into it.  A good case in point:

The VRef also doesn’t take into consideration the value of enhancements people make. Like the $1500 plus labor to install LEDs or the $2150 for the CiES senders and the JPI 900 modification to work with them. 

Now, if I don't give a rats ass about the franistans owner number 1 put in his aircraft all that money put in isn't going to make a damn bit of difference to me.  Another good example, I'm sinking a fair number of AMUs into my trusty old M20c.  If I wanted to sell it tomorrow I'd not get any of it back, at the end of the day its an old C and worth what its worth.

• Like 1

I have sold 2 Mooneys through All American and I would probably do it again. In general, Jimmy made the process as painless as possible and offered good service (once he started getting back to me due to their very high volume this year). I do have one caution about All American.  They consider the sale price the listed price and not the final purchase price.  Their contract is very clear on the subject and my bill of sale specifically stated the sale price as the final negotiated price but the closing document came in with the commission calculated on the listing price. While I felt Jimmy was angry at living up to the letter of the contract (and I feel it is the spirit also) Jimmy didn't argue about it too much. One other wrinkle on the subject had to do with allowance vs a reduction in price.  Jimmy suggest an allowance to the buyer and I wanted to reduce the price.  My reasoning is that I didn't want anything to do with the repairs or the new buyer's choice of or relationship with the shop doing the work. I have been on the other side of that as a buyer and it turned out to be a serious problem when the seller's shop did a lousy job and wouldn't help me as I wasn't the party with whom they dealt. Twice the revised selling document came in with allowance and I had to firmly state that I would not proceed under those circumstances.  I now wonder if that was to preserve the commission on the total sale price as an allowance wouldn't have shown up on the closing document as a revised price.  Whatever, it wasn't the largest issue, and, as I said, I would probably work with them again.

7 minutes ago, David Mazer said:

I have sold 2 Mooneys through All American and I would probably do it again.

I purchased through AAA and would also recommend.  I did everything remotely and bought the plane sight unseen (although I had a friend go out to complete the transaction and fly it back), and they followed up on all my requests and questions.

I'm not suggesting they should be entrusted with everything, they are essentially used car salesmen, so some amount of ickiness comes with the business that you have to exercise your due diligence.  On the other hand, they were responsive and did everything they promised to do.

The only caveat for my experience is that I was buying a plane that was actually _owned_ by AAA.  I think most of their business is sales by private owner, so that might have made them more motivated and responsive, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

+ (whatever number we're up to now) for Jimmy and David. They're a couple of stand up guys and they sell good airplanes.

Show me a plane that Jimmy and David have for sale, and that has the last two or three annuals from either Don Maxwell or SWTA, and that's a plane I'd buy without a pre-buy.