m20k 231 TIT probe

Aspen2013

My TIT (ships gauge) was acting eratic. When my mechanic went to replace it the part he received was wrong. he had already removed it and I guess that was enough tinkering to break it. Having difficulty finding correct part. The wires are red and yellow and the battery switch must be on to get a reading.  When looking at the  wiring it appears that the shielding from the white wire is soldered to a ground. The wire is about 30" long and the probe is small in diameter (I believe fast response type).  Did not measure clamp diameter but it is at least 2". 

In summary:

red/yellow

grounded

clamp style

I am going to call KS avionics todayIMG_4229.jpg.404e85ad473e282679253a2db10d14f2.jpg

If you go to Aircraft Spruce and read the review on this probe (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/alcor86310.php?clickkey=56459) a Mooney owner chimes in and says it worked perfectly for his '88 (must be n M20K 252 since that was the only turbocharged airplane Mooney made in '88.) But the specs say this one is ungrounded.

2 hours ago, Aspen2013 said:

Talked to KS Avionics. They say they have the exact TIT probe I need. It is specially made for the 231 mooney with factory gauge. I ordered it overnight and will get installed and let you all know.

Clamp style, red/yellow wire,  30" wire, ungrounded.

How much?

$190.00. It worked perfect.  Discovered the mechanic hooked it up backwards. Black wire goes to red lead on probe.  Also wires to gauge are special. I had to add wire length on white wire. Resistance may have changed. Will calibrate at next annnual. During flight it seems a little lower reading than what it used to

Use caution on wire extensions for thermocouples...

They need to stay with the same wire types, or there is induced voltage that is unaccounted for at the connections.

Your TIT is there to protect the turbo vanes from meltdown.

So... get the proper expensive TIT and extensions to save the more expensive turbo vanes...

A mechanic should be able to help with this.  If not, find an instrument tech.  It’s more instrument 101....

Best regards,

-a-