How to on ground check the gear and stall horns

nels

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

if you want to actually test the stall horn in a real world stall. put a towel over the stall vent and suck on it.

If you can do that on your Mooney, it's a Cessna.

And you're also on more intimate terms with your airplane than I am with mine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

if you want to actually test the stall horn in a real world stall. put a towel over the stall vent and suck on it.

Yeah, that won't work. Just lift the tab with the master switch on, it'll squall loudly. 

No idea about testing the gear horn on the ground, unless you want to crawl under the wing and press the microswitch. Now which main gear leg is it on???

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

If you can do that on your Mooney, it's a Cessna.

And you're also on more intimate terms with your airplane than I am with mine.

Whoops. Was thinking about the cessna when i said that. I dont dont do that. My instructor said if you ever want to try do that. I politely told him ill pass.

• Like 1

You really need jacks to test the gear horn since it’s tested with the gear up. There is also a airspeed switch or squat switch to test that prevents the gear from being raised while on the ground as well as a bypass switch on the modern birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, kortopates said:

You really need jacks to test the gear horn since it’s tested with the gear up. There is also a airspeed switch or squat switch to test that prevents the gear from being raised while on the ground as well as a bypass switch on the modern birds.

In many Mooneys the horn is tested during every preflight by pushing the test button.

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

In many Mooneys the horn is tested during every preflight by pushing the test button.

-Robert

You were the first to educate me on this. But it seems to be limited to just the last couple years of the F model production (from others that have also said they have one). But that is speculation on my part - and you have seen more of them than I have (zero for me!).

I can't tell, but do these models with the push button test also have a Gear Safety Bypass switch too?

Looking at kpaul's photo, his test switch is on the panel for his 75F, and he has fewer annunciator lights. I can get out to my bird on Friday and get a few photos to post up. Maybe you can post a pic of your panel and we can take a look?

1 hour ago, nels said:

Sean. I went out to the hangar today. Tested my stall horn and it worked fine. I looked all over the panel for the gear horn but found nothing. I have a 78 J model.

On my 77J it's the annunciator test button.   The annunciator lights come on and the horn beeps.   

On my 77J it's the annunciator test button.   The annunciator lights come on and the horn beeps.   

Wow- that's another one I have never seen and I am in an early J every week. I'll have try to see we what I can find in the early J POH.
Thanks for sharing.

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yep, I have that. It makes all the little warning lights come on, and jolts both CDIs. No horns, though, that I remember. It's high kn the left, pst the panel light dimmer.

47 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Whats the white thing next to your gear knob (to the right)?  Im not familiar with this.

As far as I know, it's just protection against accidental movement of the switch. It must be deflected right before moving the gear selector, and is spring-loaded to the left. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nels said:

While I was at the hangar looking for the test button I did press the annnciator test button....all lights lit up but no sound from the landing gear horn. Again, I've got a 78 J model.

The wiring to the gear horn for test is different than the wiring during flight. There should be 2 sets of wires on the sonalert. One probably broke at the connector. The test is simple, it just adds voltage to the sonatlert.

Also, when they sonalert goes bad it will not pulse but either churp or be solid (like the stall horn). Both are bad. Fortunately sonalerts are ridiculously cheap and used in industrial and marine applications. My boat has the same ones for oil pressure warning, transmission  oil level, steering warning, etc.

-Robert