What the 430 can do that the iPad can't

201er

Unusual to find something the 430 can do that the iPad can't. Using my iPhone for car navigation, it bugs the heck out of me that you can't get a north-up map for navigating. It always goes into a forward up display even when going south. Happened to be at the Apple Store and I asked them how to fix his and they said you can't or get google maps. So there, the 430 can display maps oriented the proper way!

IMG_1778.JPG.28b20e1eebd6fa9b07732ee97d88c8fa.JPG

• Like 1

Unusual to find something the 430 can do that the iPad can't. Using my iPhone for car navigation, it bugs the heck out of me that you can't get a north-up map for navigating. It always goes into a forward up display even when going south. Happened to be at the Apple Store and I asked them how to fix his and they said you can't or get google maps. So there, the 430 can display maps oriented the proper way!
IMG_1778.JPG.28b20e1eebd6fa9b07732ee97d88c8fa.JPG

The iPad in ForeFlight does north up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are kidding.  My 430 AW is connected via GPSS to my autopilot.  It can fly me from Minneapolis to Denver, and then couple to an ILS or LPV at Denver and fly the entire procedure down to the DA. On the RNAV/LPV it computes a glideslope, which is then communicated to the HSI and the AP, and flies right down the slope.  All this requires me to manage the engine, gear, flaps, etc, but the 430 manages the course and course changes.  Can your iPad do that?  I also use it to display and compute a “required VSI” which changes on the fly during a descent, so I know how far out I have to start down.  It can do this if, for example, ATC gives me instructions to be “at and maintain 5,000 feet,” “at or before 35 miles west of KFCM.”. I can also rapidly dial up a METAR or TAF because I have it connected to a GDL69.  So if I am not receiving ATIS/ASOS/AWOS yet, I can just dial it up on the 430.  You can do pretty much the same with an iPad now, provided you are ADSB out equipped, but if you fly cross countries that are several hundred miles, as I do, you still can’t look ahead and get that information when you are more than a hundred miles from your destination, because of the ADSB “puck.”  I have done that, on long trips, and sped up or slowed down to avoid encroaching weather at the destination airport.  During an approach or departure, I can rapidly switch to a different leg of the approach and fly that, using the DIRECT DIRECT feature, and I mean have the 430 fly it because all I have to do is input the DIRECT DIRECT instruction, it does all the course management. 

Oh, and I can actually use the 430 to legally fly an approach, any approach, including automatically flying the procedure turns and holds, and any course changes in the procedure.  I will grant that you could illegally use the iPad for almost the same functions by following a course line, but not safely.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Foreflight on my iPad.  I had to do an emergency landing in the dark coming out of IMC in Canada at a completely unfamiliar airport, back in the paper chart days.  I had the charts and plates, but in the back seat, in the dark, with me trying to keep the engine alive, they were not much help.  The iPad is a lifesaver.  But the 430 is the most robust and versatile navigation system I have in the aircraft.  And unlike the iPad, it is legal for approaches.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

You are kidding.  

[snip]

And unlike the iPad, it is legal for approaches.

LOL!

I'm not sure exactly what all that was in response to. Of course a 430 (and any IFR certified GPS) can do all sorts of things tablet apps can't (and vice versa).

...but displaying a map North up, the subject of the discussion,, isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gsengle said:

Not this again. Track up folks, track up!

Our company aircraft with Proline 21+ can display either track up, or north up.  It is individually selectable on each side, so each pilot gets what he likes.  I would say that north up is rarely, if ever selected.  When it is, it is done by the PM (pilot monitoring). 

I've seen people use North-up on their EFB displays, but personally, it gives me vertigo unless I'm headed north!  :lol:

Our company aircraft with Proline 21+ can display either track up, or north up.  It is individually selectable on each side, so each pilot gets what he likes.  I would say that north up is rarely, if ever selected.  When it is, it is done by the PM (pilot monitoring). 
I've seen people use North-up on their EFB displays, but personally, it gives me vertigo unless I'm headed north!  :lol:

I actually fly with both modes. My Aspen MFD is set up for track up but I prefer the iPad app to be oriented on north. I suspect it all depends on how you are wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I actually fly with both modes. My Aspen MFD is set up for track up but I prefer the iPad app to be oriented on north. I suspect it all depends on how you are wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do the same, track up on the 750 and North up on my iPad.  I find it a bit difficult to read a sectional or low altitude chart when the words are upside down... :P

Brian

Edited by flight2000
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

My dad, who was both a navigator and a pilot in the USAF, says that navigators prefer North up and pilots prefer track up. We both prefer North up, FWIW, but I do think that that is somewhat unusual.  

Jim

I'm a North up guy, too.   I don't think it's that rare.

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I'm a North up guy, too.   I don't think it's that rare.

Track up. Don't have to think about which way to turn when the pink line heads off in another direction. Line bends left, airplane goes left, every time. With north up, sometimes you have to turn right when the line on the screen moves towards the left.

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Track up. Don't have to think about which way to turn when the pink line heads off in another direction. Line bends left, airplane goes left, every time. With north up, sometimes you have to turn right when the line on the screen moves towards the left.

I'm ambi-uptus (new word alert). I learned to turn my paper sectionals track up as a student pilot for the reason you mention, but went north up on IFR enroute charts to make them easier to read. I can't even imagine trying to read an approach plate track up.  Moving into the GPS world, I prefer track up. On my tablet apps, it's north up, consistent with my IFR chart practice.

So, I'm basically track up in the certified box and north up on the tablet. Strangely enough, I have a lousy sense of direction but the system has actually helped.

• Like 2