Fuel boost pump and gear warning issue

NotarPilot

Need a little help diagnosing this panel issue... While flying I turn on the boost pump and the gear warning system comes on intermittently but at High frequency.  I turn the boost pump off and it stops.  On the ground the beeping is solid and the “GEAR UNSAFE” light comes on.  I had a light installed about 2 years ago to indicate that the boost pump is on because I sometimes forgot to turn it off. This issue started about a week ago so I doubt they’re related.  I’m posting a couple videos on the issue.  One in flight and one on the ground.  Any ideas what the problem could be?  

I checked the micro lever switch to the throttle by getting under the panel.  No obvious problems.  However, the other day I was on short final with the throttle all the way back to the stop.  The intermittent beeping continued with the boost pump on.  I pulled a little harder on the throttle and the beeping briefly stopped but I only tried this once.

F19D1593-BD73-4F96-A4C1-45D13703F935.MOV

C79AD47C-4C4A-4DF4-BE4D-8F1186BBC29E.MOV

Edit: Adding YouTube links in flight and on the ground...

Videos unavailable to iPad user.  Post in YouTube, for wider audience...

Something has to be draining power through the warning system to make that happen.  Expect a stuck switch to be responsible...

gear switch, throttle switch, Stall switch?

Does the beeping sound  like a gear warning, or stall warning or neither? Tone, alternating or steady?

Got a wiring diagram for all of that? Including the mod for the fuel pump light?

PP thoughts as usual... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Need a little help diagnosing this panel issue... While flying I turn on the boost pump and the gear warning system comes on intermittently but at High frequency.  I turn the boost pump off and it stops.  On the ground the beeping is solid and the “GEAR UNSAFE” light comes on.  I had a light installed about 2 years ago to indicate that the boost pump is on because I sometimes forgot to turn it off. This issue started about a week ago so I doubt they’re related.  I’m posting a couple videos on the issue.  One in flight and one on the ground.  Any ideas what the problem could be?  
I checked the micro lever switch to the throttle by getting under the panel.  No obvious problems.  However, the other day I was on short final with the throttle all the way back to the stop.  The intermittent beeping continued with the boost pump on.  I pulled a little harder on the throttle and the beeping briefly stopped but I only tried this once.
F19D1593-BD73-4F96-A4C1-45D13703F935.MOV
C79AD47C-4C4A-4DF4-BE4D-8F1186BBC29E.MOV

Edit: Adding YouTube links in flight and on the ground...
[/url]  

Sounds like Morse code for “you spent too much on this Mooney”.

Check the attachment screws for the power and ground on the boost switch.

Pull the gear warning breaker and repeat to see if it is still there. Had a weird one with power being fed even when the breaker was pulled. We can discuss the next time we see each other over a cold one and under the glow of our expensive LEDs.

See if the Sonalert is grounded properly. Either swap the Sonalert with the stall or another one if you have one to see if the problem is isolated to the gear warning Sonalert.

Why did you install the blue light when you have an annunicator that comes on with the boost pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I tried pulling the gear warning breaker and it still did it.
I don’t have a boost pump annunciator which was why I has a blue light installed.  

What is the light that comes on in your annunciator panel when you turn on the boost pump? Gear unsafe?

It does sound like something is shorting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

What is the light that comes on in your annunciator panel when you turn on the boost pump? Gear unsafe?

It does sound like something is shorting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, the red flickering light is “Gear unsafe.”

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I think you have a short. There is tool that you can connect to the wires and trace the signal to figure out where it travels. I have never use one but if they work it would come in handy for this problem.

I’m going to have to see if my A&P has one of these.

12 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Yes, the red flickering light is “Gear unsafe.”

I’m going to have to see if my A&P has one of these.

Often called a 'fox and hound' set, or a 'wire tracker'.   I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-ET64220-Installers-Must-Have/dp/B00279JLBQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513619505&sr=1-2&keywords=sperry+wire+tracker

I've not used it on the airplane, but on cars and other things it can be very handy and also very disappointing.   If you can't keep the sensor close the relevant wire or bundle you can lose track of the trace pretty easily.   It's very good if you are tracing which wire on one end of a harness goes to which pin or wire on the other end.   So in my experience it's a good tool to have around but can't be 100% relied on to trace a circuit.   When it works, though, it can be a time saver.

• Like 1