202 MPH in My D Model Yesterday

cliffy

719 MPH in my B Model Yesterday

OK OK it was ground speed BUT I did show 625 kts G/S for over 10 mins then it dropped to the 590's for the next hour or so.

ZHCC to RKSI at 31100.  BTW it was smooth flying too.

I've now got diarrhea! :-( The speed of kimchi!

Edited by Jim Peace

54 minutes ago, cliffy said:

OK OK It was ground speed BUT I did show 176 kts G/S for over 10 mins and then it dropped to the 160s for the next hour or so. 

KPGA to KTUS at 9500. BTW it was smooth flying too.

I've now got blistered paint! :-)  The speed of heat!

I've only seen that in the descent although I did once sustain 183 knots (Hey! That's 210 mph! Shoulda done the math years ago . . . ) headed south towards Charlotte. Need to use that SpeedView app on my phone more often, it gives a good MPH groundspeed readout.

OK OK It was ground speed BUT I did show 176 kts G/S for over 10 mins and then it dropped to the 160s for the next hour or so. 

That’s great! I clocked 165 knots sustained in a ‘67 C about a month ago at 9000’ across western Texas for about an hour, 27 knot tail wind. The great thing about our Mooney’s is that if there’s any tail wind out there, these planes will grab every bit of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

We made pretty decent time headed to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving. 3:31 hours, 644 nm. (184 kts average, chock to chock.)

Pictured: 207 kts cruise, sustained at 11,000 from about the more easterly turn at MRB; 218 kts in the descent.

This was LOP, cruise @ 62%, 8.2 gph.

But of course this is a Super 21, not a Mark 20. 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N943RW/history/20171121/1353Z/KMRN/6B6

IMG_20171121_115237646_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171121_122912569.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cliffy said:

Impressive. And just think, you did it with not much more money invested than you could have invested in a Cessna 150!

Cost of entry vs TAS mph   Try that formula with any other airplane you want to look at. The little C comes out on top. Only thing up from there is the ego factor :-)

"My plane is faster than yours" Start adding up the $$$$$$

Just like a wax job, Aspens can give up to 5 more knots just by being there :-)

Life is too short to fly an ugly panel? I'm guilty of the ugly panel but then I'm a dinosaur that started with a whistle stop tuner and a 10 crystal transmitter with venturi driven gyros in an IFR Cessna 140.  

21 hours ago, cliffy said:

You shoulda descended at Carson Speed--- It saves the paint...

• Haha 1

Polished spinners are good for 5 knots.   I did 206 knots in level cruise at 4500 feet headed south with a front blowing in last year.   I called the tower at 15 miles out.  They said call at 10 miles.  I paused about 30 seconds and called at 10 miles.  Things were happening fast.

I set up for the crosswind landing a 1/4 mile up wind of the runway and got blown down to the center line.

That was fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I've seen 212 knots sustained straight/level flight. I also saw sustained straight/level speeds of 109knots on the return flight the following day.  

That's nice! Your tailwind was stronger than the headwind. My own experience is the opposite . . . . . .

I've seen 212 knots sustained straight/level flight. I also saw sustained straight/level speeds of 109knots on the return flight the following day.  

Interestingly all of us will talk about the direction of flight where we had the great tailwind and leave out the part where we flew the opposite direction and encountered record groundspeeds of 100-110 knots!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tx_Aggie said:

Interestingly all of us will talk about the direction of flight where we had the great tailwind and leave out the part where we flew the opposite direction and encountered record groundspeeds of 100-110 knots!!

I've been much slower than that in my Mooney, in level cruise, WOT-/2500 . . . Just didn't take a picture, it was sunset at 10,000 msl.

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

How about .88M IAS sustained (727:-) We were late. Nothing but dino-juice $$$$$ to exhaust noise! 12,000#/hr

I know, here come the military guys to blow my doors off :-) like I was standing still. 

Neither you nor they count, unless you're paying the fuel bill (like John Revolta).  :P

I read somewhere that statistically it is slightly more probable that you will encounter headwinds than tailwinds. This is because even when the wind is at 90 degrees to your heading, you have to "crab" into the wind to maintain the proper track, and this results in a slight headwind component. 

I agree with cliffy that the wind always switches for my return flight, so that nasty headwind is never a good tailwind.

Opposite end of the spectrum .. Last month, "exploring the envelope" fooling around at 10,500 - rolling out of a "unusual attitude departure stall" I entered a 1 turn spin - recovery airspeed crossed 200mph just as I began to level out/pull out.  Not bad for a termite reinforced '59 vintage wing.  200mph came at a cost of 1500 ft -- I'm guessing 5 sec.s.  I find in thin air, a lot of speed is required to "rejuvenate" stalled control surfaces.  Anyway, GPS probably indicated 5kts.