Fly Q

DonMuncy

8 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

It works with Stratux.

It also worked with the Stratus at one time. Has anyone tried it lately? I no longer have a working copy of FlyQ to check myself.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Disregard, I found it on the FlyQ FAQ page. https://www.seattleavionics.com/FlyQEFBFaq.aspx

Appareo/ForeFlight/Sportys are called out for modifying the Stratus firmware specifically to make it incompatible with any EFB other than ForeFlight. I'm going to have to think about that one, it doesn't sit very well with me.

Cheers,
Rick

Edited by Junkman
added detail

6 minutes ago, Junkman said:

It also worked with the Stratus at one time. Has anyone tried it lately? I no longer have a working copy of FlyQ to check myself.

Cheers,
Rick

I just looked at one of the FlyQ tutorials, and they said it worked with Stratus.

Just now, Junkman said:

I edited my previous post Don, take a look at the FlyQ FAQ page. It only works if you have a Stratus 1 or 2 that has firmware previous to 2.X. :angry:

They didn't tell me that! Is it that Stratus intentionally changed their system to prevent FlyQ (or perhaps others) from using it?

15 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

They didn't tell me that! Is it that Stratus intentionally changed their system to prevent FlyQ (or perhaps others) from using it?

Here's a screen shot from the Appareo FAQ page for the Stratus. Their intention is to exclusively support Foreflight. I guess it's working for them, but I don't think I would buy into that scheme now if I had it to do over again. And they're working with Garmin now and becoming part of that proprietary group. Not an uncommon business move, but potentially limiting as more and more reasonably priced avionics come to market.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 5.22.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 5.33.27 PM.png

All that said, your Stratux won't have any problem with FlyQ.

Cheers,
Rick

Just now, Junkman said:

Here's a screen shot from the Appareo FAQ page for the Stratus. Their intention is to exclusively support Foreflight. I guess it's working for them, but I don't think I would buy into that scheme now if I had it to do over again. And they're working with Garmin now and becoming part of that proprietary group. Not an uncommon business move, but potentially limiting as more and more reasonably priced avionics come to market.

I really don't know why anyone would get a Stratus now. The Stratux is so much cheaper and it will work with Foreflight, FlyQ, and presumably most anything else. 

The FLYq folks a great.  If you have any questions, e-mail their support line.  I bet you you'll even receive a response over the holidays!

Don't worry about the ADSB.  These days, there are plenty of cheap alternate solutions, including their our stratux build (Merlin)

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Is it that Stratus intentionally changed their system to prevent FlyQ (or perhaps others) from using it?

Yes, Appareo deliberately closed the hole that Seattle Avionics was able to figure out.  Bad business model if you just limit yourself to one App if you ask me.  I had a Stratus 2 that worked with FlyQ and then sold it when cheaper stuff came out and I put in the Lynx NGT-9000 transponder that works with just about anything out there.  Garmin's GTX series does not work with anything accept Garmin Pilot - at least nothing else that I'm aware of anyway. 

Cheers,

Brian

16 hours ago, flight2000 said:

Yes, Appareo deliberately closed the hole that Seattle Avionics was able to figure out.  Bad business model if you just limit yourself to one App if you ask me.  I had a Stratus 2 that worked with FlyQ and then sold it when cheaper stuff came out and I put in the Lynx NGT-9000 transponder that works with just about anything out there.  Garmin's GTX series does not work with anything accept Garmin Pilot - at least nothing else that I'm aware of anyway. 

Cheers,

Brian

L-3 Lynx is winning the compatibility war this way.   Good on them.    Apparently Stratus/ForeFlight want a closed system.

20 hours ago, Junkman said:

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Disregard, I found it on the FlyQ FAQ page. https://www.seattleavionics.com/FlyQEFBFaq.aspx

Appareo/ForeFlight/Sportys are called out for modifying the Stratus firmware specifically to make it incompatible with any EFB other than ForeFlight. I'm going to have to think about that one, it doesn't sit very well with me.

Cheers,
Rick

I have a stratus II Fly Q works with Rick, but I haven't "updated" the firmware to get the proprietary feature

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

I have a stratus II Fly Q works with Rick, but I haven't "updated" the firmware to get the proprietary feature

I sold my Stratus 2 on eBay this past year. One of the questions I got was which firmware version I was running. The second question, from a different potential buyer, was, why did the first buyer ask that question.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve tried most of the EFBs, ran WingX and ForeFlight concurrently for years, but like others, I took exception to FF’s upcharges, and weary of what felt like needless complexity of WingX, requiring more heads-down time to get where I wanted to be. Many good features, though. Always looking for the best idea, I tried several others, got to FlyQ, and was charmed. It has all the bells and whistles I like best, and no more than two layers to get where I need to be, fast, intuitive, capable, and stable. And responsive. Bye, FF! The few times I’ve had a question, I have had an answer from SA within the hour. That’s customer service!. I bought the lifetime subscription, and a stratux, and all was well. Now I went and bought a Garmin-heavy airplane, and have grudgingly added Garmin Pilot to my iPad, to speak to the various Garmin boxes. Not a happy thing. Now I must plan my trip on two EFBs. Garmin is capable, but klunky. It usually gets the airplane stuff going, when it all decides to work, but FlyQ is loaded on my iPad and ready to go. I switch to it, promptly, especially when I need answers now. I MUCH prefer FlyQ, especially in busy airspace. Besides, FlyQ developers are busy, with new features every few months. That’s fun.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:40 PM, flight2000 said:

Cheers,

Brian

Garmin recently said that the GTX345 now works with Foreflight

Yes,  the latest release of FltPln Go does show Garmin as an ADS-B source.  I have a GTX-345 so, I’ll try to sync it up sometime in the future.  Home recovering from knee replacement so it will be a few months.

Ive been using FlyQ for 4 years and am quite happy with it.  I agree with previous posts that they are a stand up company and you will always get a response from them, often in just a few hours.  I spoke with Steve Podradchik, the President, at Sun n Fun last year.  He told me that Garmin just about refuses to work with them on integrating the GTX-345 or the GDL-39.  He claims that there is no way to reverse engineer Bluetooth connectivity so unless Garmin changes their stance then the issue is dead.