Fly Q

DonMuncy

I'm still looking at Fly Q. Can I load their 30 day free trial in my IPad without disturbing my Foreflight operation? Will my Stratux work for Fly Q. Does anyone have any concerns about Fly Q's longevity ? I know that their lifetime subscription will pay for itself in a couple of years, but it they were to go belly-up a year from now, it would not be a good deal. For those of you who have used BOTH Fly Q and Foreflight, which do you prefer. 

Don--

I tried Foreflight and didn't particularly like it. I use WingX Pro but recently went all out for FlyQ and find it the best for me. You can use it concurrently (I do with WingX) with any other program you're using without interference. It is intuitive, contains a wealth of features, and the company is sound as far as I can tell. They respond almost immediately to questions you have. I don't think they will offer the lifetime subscription again, but I'm not sure.

Their FlyQ Online is pretty nice, too.

11 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I'm still looking at Fly Q. Can I load their 30 day free trial in my IPad without disturbing my Foreflight operation? Will my Stratux work for Fly Q. Does anyone have any concerns about Fly Q's longevity ? I know that their lifetime subscription will pay for itself in a couple of years, but it they were to go belly-up a year from now, it would not be a good deal. For those of you who have used BOTH Fly Q and Foreflight, which do you prefer. 

It doesnt connect to garmin devices eg gxp345 if that means anything to you. 

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Thanks Turtle. I would only plan on using it on IPad via Stratux. I'm not very sharp on this stuff, so I'm having to do some asking.

will work great with stratux.  Personally I love foreflight and before I got my GXP345 would test out the others from time to time but always went back to FF.

Just now, TheTurtle said:

will work great with stratux.  Personally I love foreflight and before I got my GXP345 would test out the others from time to time but always went back to FF.

Is it just a "format" type thing, or is there something Foreflight does that Fly Q doesn't. Or vice versa.

Its just the format.  They all basically do the same stuff.  Garmin Pilot and Foreflight are the top 2 as far as features but wingx, flyq and theres one other I cant remember the name of now are pretty close.  But with garmin being the 800lb gorilla not being able to connect to their stuff kind of kicks the other ones down the list for a lot of people.

I always thought wingx was cool but the UI is just so bad.  Big ugly blocks for buttons.  very square looking and 90's feel.  Cool they give it for free to cfis though.

edit:  Avare was the other one I was thinking of.

Edited by TheTurtle

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Also try AeroVie. That has become my "go to" app recently and I've tried them all. It has come a long way in the  last year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

FlyQ by far.  I didn't see anything that I was missing by not going with FF and or GP.

Yes - you can load the trial with no impact to other apps.  Only limiting factor is storage capacity on your iPad.  Eats up space if you download a lot of the data.  You can select only the states you want to save space.

Yes - Stratux will work with FlyQ but AHRS is not supported.

Longevity - Seattle Avionics does a lot more than just FlyQ.  I have no worries about them going under anytime soon.  They are the number 3 app out there and gaining.

FlyQ will not connect with Garmin, well, because Garmin is being that 800 pound gorilla and will not allow them to connect.  The Stratus 2S systems are the same way. 

Here's the ADSB devices that are supported: https://seattleavionics.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/230164448-FlyQ-EFB-Supported-Devices

I also like Aerovie and FltPln Go, but FlyQ is still my #1 app because I bought the lifetime subscription about 4 years ago.  No more price increases unlike some others that continue to raise their prices almost yearly.... 

I went with the Lynx NGT-9000 transponder because they played nice with all brands.  ;)

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Is it just a "format" type thing, or is there something Foreflight does that Fly Q doesn't. Or vice versa.

I have a dozen EFBs divided more or less evenly between iOS and Android. Here's the scoop from my perspective:

85-90% of what they do is the same.  Most the differences are about how they do the 85-90%.

In both cases, it's about us, not the app.  

That 10-15%? ForeFlight's route advisor is just one example. If you want to plan an IFR route, FF will let you pull up recent ATC clearances which increase the likelihood the route you file is the route you get. FlyQ still doesn't do that. Some people don't care. Some do. Some live where the never get what they expect.   And there's a workaround if you do care. There are plenty of other examples.

The how? That's really dependent on  both how  you use and how long you have used an app.  I'll use myself as the example. If I were in the market today or a casual user who relied primarily on the moving map and not much, it probably would make no difference to me which one I used. But January will mark 7 years I've been using ForeFlight. I know my way around it I am very, very comfortable with the way it does things, how to get to the essential (to) me functions and I have even used some of its more esoteric capabilities. I go into one of the others and end up finding out it just doesn't do what I want or how I want it to. Not because one is better or worse, but because I am used to the way I've done it for years.

ForeFlight is the most expensive EFB I have. As a CFI, many are free to me and the rest (except Garmin Pilot which I don't have) deeply discounted.  But, even though I have a very close second choice, I don't see leaving ForeFlight so long as I am flying IFR (although that might depend a lot on the direction that second choice takes). 

• Like 1

I've decided to give FlyQ  a shot. I down loaded a 30 free trial. It looks like it may be something I want. I have read through the manual. A couple of things I can't locate (although they ought to be easy). How do you activate a flight plan, and how do you delete a flight plan. Details if you would please.

Don, I assume you mean "file," as is "enter it into the system," not "activate," as in "open." I don't know of any app so far which activates or closes flight plans,

When you are looking at the current flight plan, you will see three large tabs tabs jus above the table. "NavLog," which you are looking at, and "Wx Brief" and "ICAO Plan," which are greed out. Tap "ICAO Plan."  Above the Plan information list is the tappable word "File."

If by "delete" you mean delete a flight plan you previously filed from the ATC system, I don't think it has that capability (nice but not necessary; if not opened, it just times out). If you mean from the app's list of plans you have created, tap the "Edit" link at the top of the list.

6 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Don, I assume you mean "file," as is "enter it into the system," not "activate," as in "open." I don't know of any app so far which activates or closes flight plans,

When you are looking at the current flight plan, you will see three large tabs tabs jus above the table. "NavLog," which you are looking at, and "Wx Brief" and "ICAO Plan," which are greed out. Tap "ICAO Plan."  Above the Plan information list is the tappable word "File."

If by "delete" you mean delete a flight plan you previously filed from the ATC system, I don't think it has that capability (nice but not necessary; if not opened, it just times out). If you mean from the app's list of plans you have created, tap the "Edit" link at the top of the list.

Oops. Sorry for the terminology snafu. No. I am asking how you begin to use the flight plan after you have entered it into the IPad. After you get it in the IPad, and take off, what button(s) do you push to get it to show up, so you can follow the path.

When you no longer have a use for the flight plan, how do you get it off the list. When I get the list of flight plans showing, there is an edit button up near the top. Pushing it seems to make no difference. When I select a particular plan, it pops up that whole plan. There is then an edit button at the top of that plan. When I push it, it changes to "done", and the plan doesn't go away. There is also a clear button. If I push it, it asks if I really want to clear it. If I push yes, nothing happens. I have only put in about 3, testing my knowledge of the system, but if I can't delete (or erase) them, eventually I will have a terribly long list to sort through.

Thanks for the help. 

There are two ways to delete flight plans.  For each of these, you have to be on the first plans page (where you create a flight plan).  If you are on the second page that shows all of the way points for your flight, hit the ">Plans" button in the upper left corner to get back to the base page.  The page you want will have a "New Flight Plan" on the left and "Recent Flight Plans" on the right.  This is where you get delete plans in accordance with #1 and 2 below.

#1 is to hit the edit button in the upper right hand corner.  Doing this should show a red circle with a line through it to the left of each plan.  Hit the circle and it will ask you if you want to delete it. 

#2 is to simply swipe the plan you want to delete with your finger from right to left.  This will show a delete button to hit. 

After creating your flight plan, go to the maps page.  On the left hand side you'll see 5 buttons.  Push the top button to bring up the overlays.  You need to toggle the flight plan so it's highlighted.  You can only toggle one Base map -  but all of the others can be turned on/off so you can see what you want displayed and how much you want displayed. 

Lots of good tutorials on YouTube! :)

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000

9 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Oops. Sorry for the terminology snafu. No. I am asking how you begin to use the flight plan after you have entered it into the IPad. After you get it in the IPad, and take off, what button(s) do you push to get it to show up, so you can follow the path.

When you no longer have a use for the flight plan, how do you get it off the list. When I get the list of flight plans showing, there is an edit button up near the top. Pushing it seems to make no difference. When I select a particular plan, it pops up that whole plan. There is then an edit button at the top of that plan. When I push it, it changes to "done", and the plan doesn't go away. There is also a clear button. If I push it, it asks if I really want to clear it. If I push yes, nothing happens. I have only put in about 3, testing my knowledge of the system, but if I can't delete (or erase) them, eventually I will have a terribly long list to sort through.

Thanks for the help. 

When you press the Edit link at the top of the list of flight plans, you get this screen (the Edit button was in the same spot the Done button is in the photo). Just tap the red icons, and the Dekete prompt will come up.

BTW it's not really a FlyQ thing. It's a version of a fairly standard iOS methodology.

C64FEF20-4DDF-40B2-AB6E-39B94F1FF15B.png

Neat slider ^^^    Optimize For Best wind... :)

So many altitudes to select from, do the math, then make the decision...  too much work, with too little accuracy, to go through the effort, the old way...

Click a slider, then decide if it is worth any extra effort to look further...

Best regards,

-a-

+1 on the utility of FlyQ, high standard of the customer support and longevity of Seattle Avionics. 

Before ipads were "the thing", I was using their Windows based Voyager software on a touch screen Windows tablet.  I still use it on my desktop as it includes everything for flight planning.  I think FlyQ online will displace this over time.

I have the Fly Q app. I had to call about some billing the other day and they gave me a new heads-up about new stuff coming out in Jan/Feb and it will be included in the Fly Q subscription. Not sure if this is more useful or novelty, but looks pretty cool. FlyQ  Insight.

Side View Top Down View Fire-up FlyQ InSight on your iPhone or iPad and point it outside the window. Turn left, turn right. No matter where you aim, InSight shows the airports in that area. Blue airports have towers, magenta airports don't. The distance to each airport is shown below the ident. If the the airport is fairly close, a 'stick' extends from the marker showing to more clearly show where it is. If further away, InSight shows just the ident. Airports even further away, begin to fade out.

Tap the shutter button (circle in the middle of the screen), to take a quick picture. Use the Photos tab to browse your photos and, with a click, post to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

Tap an airport marker and see the details including runways, diagrams, weather, and fuel prices.

• Like 1

I have the FlyQ lifetime, Steve P and Seattle Avonics are going to be around for a while. There openness in both protocol and customer service is what will keep this happening. I agree with others that it really comes down to what you are used to, but it really gets my goat that Garmin and Stratus lock everybody else out just to protect their efb subscriptions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wasn't there a big dust-up a while ago about Seattle Avionics reverse engineering, or otherwise gleaning the Stratus protocol, and advertising that FlyQ would work with the Stratus? IIRCC, Appareo came out with a tersely worded release that stated that their system was only "proven" to work with ForeFlight, and that any other claims of compatibility were not supported by Appareo. I believe I downloaded FlyQ and it did indeed work with my Stratus 2. Has something been done by one of the players to make that not so anymore?

Back on topic, I agree that it depends on what you're used to and what works for you. Everyone tends to champion the EFB/airplane/car/phone service they have if it works for them and they're happy with it. OR if they've spent a lot of time or money on/with it... <_<  I've been using ForeFlight since it was first introduced, and dabbled with FlyQ a time and again. But I'm still using ForeFlight and, quite frankly, at this point I'm too lazy to put the time in to learning something different. If I were starting over again with so many options available I"m sure it would be a challenge to determine which one is "best". I agree that an open protocol would be a driver for my decision.

Cheers,
Rick

19 minutes ago, Junkman said:

Wasn't there a big dust-up a while ago about Seattle Avionics reverse engineering, or otherwise gleaning the Stratus protocol, and advertising that FlyQ would work with the Stratus? IIRCC, Appareo came out with a tersely worded release that stated that their system was only "proven" to work with ForeFlight, and that any other claims of compatibility were not supported by Appareo. 

It works with Stratux.