Good place to install an ADS-B transponder on the west coast?

Joe Zuffoletto

Speaking with Robert at Lake Aero  he mentioned that they are going to be really focusing on avionics upgrades in the near future. I know their avionics mech is really skilled and has even been flown overseas to do installations for their shop. 

3 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

I'm planning on installing a Garmin GTX-345R remote transponder in my Acclaim to meet the ADS-B requirement and am wondering which shop on the west coast y'all would recommend. Thanks.

Chief aircraft.  Great install, great rates.  I can’t recommend them enough.

I like Western Avionics.  They arent the cheapest and I cant say they havent pissed me off a couple times but they always make it right in the end.  Maggie is great in the front office and Scott will try to sell you the newest whizbang thing but when I beat him into letting me ownerassist fixing my ancient whatever he goes along with it.  They installed my 345 and waas antenna a few months ago.

Oh they are Leading Edge Avionics now.  @JohnB seems to have his plane there once a month so they must be doing something right.   Or I guess maybe something really wrong!!!  Can't wait to fly with him again he must have every glass thing you can get by now. :)

Edited by TheTurtle

I can recommend a shop to avoid, which is ASB Avionics at KMHV, Mojave.  Had a Lynx 9000, and a PS Engineering audio panel installed by that shop over three weeks this spring. The Lynx install worked fine, but audio started becoming intermittent and then COM 1 stopped working.  An avionics tech here found the audio panel rack was installed too far back and didn’t allow the rear connector to fully engage and my COM 1 rack was not fastened to the vertical stack support.  Couldn’t believe such shoddy, negligent work went out their door!

Terry

1 hour ago, TheTurtle said:

I like Western Avionics.  They arent the cheapest and I cant say they havent pissed me off a couple times but they always make it right in the end.  Maggie is great in the front office and Scott will try to sell you the newest whizbang thing but when I beat him into letting me ownerassist fixing my ancient whatever he goes along with it.  They installed my 345 and waas antenna a few months ago.

Oh they are Leading Edge Avionics now.  @JohnB seems to have his plane there once a month so they must be doing something right.   Or I guess maybe something really wrong!!!  Can't wait to fly with him again he must have every glass thing you can get by now. :)

+1 on Leading Edge Avionics, formerly Western Avionics at SNA. I have had very complex avionics installed by them, complex avionic issues, fair trade in values for old equipment, and previously mystery electronic issues completely solved by them, they are very thorough. If its something simple like a swap out, anyone can do it, but they get a lot of business from other avionics shops as a referral when they can't figure something out. Not cheap, and usually very busy (its best to schedule an appointment at least a month or two in advance for big upgrades)

Ha and yes @TheTurtle, they haven't installed everything yet, but Ill fix that next year! Yes lets go flying!

John

If you feel like going to Oregon I would highly recommend Barry Foote with Av-Com. He is a mobile shop but I doubt you would get him to come to Cali for a price you would want to pay. He did my ADSB install and will be installing a G5 and other goodies in January. And if you sign up to Flights Above The Pacific North West premium membership he’ll knock off 10% in labor. You can buy the equipment through him or through another dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk