bradp

Amazing backcountry flying video

Recommended Posts

Not mooney but something I came across on the youtubes that was just some gorgeous air to air (and ? drone) videography.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

I would be quite happy with something like the Mackey SQ2.  It just looks like too much fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Skates97 said:

Wow, very cool!

I saw this one recently.

 

I would like to see some fishing line attached to the tail tie down ring.  It would be great to see a couple of trout dangling when the 182 departs out of the river.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing... the plane is registered in Costa Rica... interesting. That is a VERY GA unfriendly country from what I understand. But may be some of you do know...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a second plane it would be a super cub.

If I had a third plane it would be a Gulf Stream.

If I had a fourth plane it would be a P51.

If I had a fifth "plane" it would be a balloon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The videos are very cool but that leads to an important question.  I know landing on a well manicured grass strip is no problem for our birds but where is the line?  I have property that had an old rough gravel runway on it and have considered looking into making it function again.  Anyone land there Mooney's on gravel?  What Lengths would be the most comfortable? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a program here in MN called Fly Minnesota, where you get a leather jacket if you land at 135 of our 138 public use airports.  Quite a few are grass.  I was concerned about doing that with the Mooney, so another pilot and I rented a Skyhawk and did several in one day.  After that, it was so easy, I did the rest of the grass strips in my Mooney (except for one, I didn’t like the patch of swamp grass in the middle of it).  I learned several things.  First, the public use grass strips in our area are generally well maintained.  I never tried one immediately after a rain storm, but I did not find any of them to be soft or muddy or to have the proverbial gopher hole that you could theoretically drop a tire into and strike the prop.  That was just not a problem.  Another interesting thing is that you don’t need much runway on grass, either landing or taking off.  Landing, you can immediately feel the significant friction of grass, it slows the plane down quickly and without using much runway.  On takeoff, if you use good soft field technique, you are off the runway and in ground effect fairly quickly.  After that, it does not matter what the ground is like or even if you are still on a strip,  all you need is good ground without bushes and trees to pick up the speed needed to climb out.  Overall, it was fun, but probably a little harder on the gear over time.  Have not done a grass strip in quite awhile, but would not hesitate.  I wouldn’t like the idea of gravel though, the prop would be sucking up rocks and since I pay for the prop, that would bother me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2017 at 7:48 AM, jlunseth said:

We have a program here in MN called Fly Minnesota, where you get a leather jacket if you land at 135 of our 138 public use airports.  Quite a few are grass.  I was concerned about doing that with the Mooney, so another pilot and I rented a Skyhawk and did several in one day.  After that, it was so easy, I did the rest of the grass strips in my Mooney (except for one, I didn’t like the patch of swamp grass in the middle of it).  I learned several things.  First, the public use grass strips in our area are generally well maintained.  I never tried one immediately after a rain storm, but I did not find any of them to be soft or muddy or to have the proverbial gopher hole that you could theoretically drop a tire into and strike the prop.  That was just not a problem.  Another interesting thing is that you don’t need much runway on grass, either landing or taking off.  Landing, you can immediately feel the significant friction of grass, it slows the plane down quickly and without using much runway.  On takeoff, if you use good soft field technique, you are off the runway and in ground effect fairly quickly.  After that, it does not matter what the ground is like or even if you are still on a strip,  all you need is good ground without bushes and trees to pick up the speed needed to climb out.  Overall, it was fun, but probably a little harder on the gear over time.  Have not done a grass strip in quite awhile, but would not hesitate.  I wouldn’t like the idea of gravel though, the prop would be sucking up rocks and since I pay for the prop, that would bother me.  

I've landed plenty of retracts on the grass at crookston, it's all fine until you have to cross the hard surface runway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I have that problem at KFCM believe it or not.  When they rebuilt the runways a few years ago they put a significant crown in 18-36.  The most commonly used runway for me is 28R.  I get to the crown of intersecting RWY 18 just a little too soon.  The plane gets catapulted but is not ready to fly.  I solve it by rolling the first 400-500 feet before applying takeoff power, but you can't always do that.  Depends on the runway set up.  The runways at KFCM are all very good asphalt, but that intersection is not great.  I have been to Crookston several times, but don't recall whether I have done the grass up there. I remember that Washkish was the biggest "adventure," it is on the shore of Red Lake and the grass grows too well.  You just use good soft field technique, keep the yoke back and the gear up and it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I landed my Mooney on several grass and gravel runways. Key is to know where you are flying into. On some other occasions I was told that the strip was not in a good state and I did not go there. So be careful and selective. Our birds have a low clearance and you have to be careful.

The only time I got some gravel hit my prop, was on a major international airport... go figure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For back country Mooney flying, Find Bryan. His M20C has landed on many unimproved surfaces. It is more pilot skill than airplane skill.

He has YouTube video to show it.

The small tires and heavier weight of the Mooney does make it a much greater challenge. The risk of damage and expensive repairs keeps most Mooney flyers from experimenting...

Keep in mind, Well cared for grass is pretty far from unimproved surfaces.

Many Mooneys live on grass strips.

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carusoam said:

For back country Mooney flying, Find Bryan. His M20C has landed on many unimproved surfaces. It is more pilot skill than airplane skill.

He has YouTube video to show it.

Search here and youtube for piperpainter. Absolutely amazing watching him fly his Mooney into unimproved back country fields, often the only nose dragger and the only one without ginormous tundra tires.

Bryan, you still around? @piperpainter ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you believe some of his skill can transfer through his plane to you now is your chance!  I watch those videos and think that looks like a lot of fun but it doesn’t leave much room for error. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tailwheel plane and I've practice my share of landings on back country strips.  I think I'd make better landings in my Mooney vs. My tailwheel.  I would take my Mooney but I don't want to nick up my 8K top prop I bought 3 years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite as extreme as the backcountry flying video but lots of fun.  Got to take my Duce out today on Red Clay Lake in NW Arizona.  Felt like summer.  Sorry to rub it in for all you Mooniacs  in the cold parts of the country.  Red Clay lake would make a nice Mooney runway.

IMG_0448 red clay lake.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 9:21 PM, Hank said:

Search here and youtube for piperpainter. Absolutely amazing watching him fly his Mooney into unimproved back country fields, often the only nose dragger and the only one without ginormous tundra tires.

Bryan, you still around? @piperpainter ?

yep! Plane is for sale! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now