Savannah,GA. KSAV

Browncbr1

Flew an Angel Flight patient to KSAV recently and dropped her off at Signature. They were very nice, and didn’t charge me a dime even though I didn’t get gas. Pretty fun to see all the Gulfstreams lined up on the other side of the runway.

I've been to KSAV awhile back, but usually park on Hilton Head.  When I'm looking for information on ramp fees and there's a choice of FBOs, after I read the reviews I usually just email or call the FBO(s) I'm considering and ask about fees.  One consideration is that Signature will often provide a significant weekend discount on 100LL.  If you plan on using them and will arrive before and/or depart after the weekend, be sure to ask for fuel service when that discount is in effect.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I've been to KSAV awhile back, but usually park on Hilton Head.  When I'm looking for information on ramp fees and there's a choice of FBOs, after I read the reviews I usually just email or call the FBO(s) I'm considering and ask about fees.  One consideration is that Signature will often provide a significant weekend discount on 100LL.  If you plan on using them and will arrive before and/or depart after the weekend, be sure to ask for fuel service when that discount is in effect.  

I saved $0.50 / gallon at Hilton Head by asking to be topped of on Saturday instead of the Friday afternoon that I arrived. Don't remember where I heard about it, but the lineman confirmed it.

Flew an Angel Flight patient to KSAV recently and dropped her off at Signature. They were very nice, and didn’t charge me a dime even though I didn’t get gas. Pretty fun to see all the Gulfstreams lined up on the other side of the runway.
I flew an Angel Flight mission to SAV earlier this year and went to Sheltair. As usual fees were waived since it was an Angel Flight mission.

Went there again, but just to drop off my wife for a conference she had in Savannah after we visited our daughter in Kentucky; I love flying private, "I'll just swing by Savannah and drop you off on the way home." :) The lady at the counter helped us get the Uber driver to that location. She said to call the driver after it was set and update them, happens all the time there. The Uber system would show the right location and the when you submitted the request it would then show it across the runway. Grrr. I was expecting to pay the fees, but the waived them. The lineman even cleaned my windshield; I tipped him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I saved $0.50 / gallon at Hilton Head by asking to be topped of on Saturday instead of the Friday afternoon that I arrived. Don't remember where I heard about it, but the lineman confirmed it.
Check on this option at any FBO. Epps at PDK does the same thing. Not all do it, but it's worth asking.

Several years ago 2011 and 2012 I was going to Savannah once a month.  I went to KSAV sometimes but would mostly fly to KLHW Fort Stewart.  Much cheaper fuel no tie down fees and I believe both Hertz and Enterprise would drop off the car for you before hand and you left it there upon leaving.  Extra 30 minutes to your drive but if you are already getting a car no problems.  The controllers at LHW were nice as were the ones  as SAV.  Much less traffic at LWH but I did get to see some F-22s :D taxing and taking off from SAV.

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

Several years ago 2011 and 2012 I was going to Savannah once a month.  I went to KSAV sometimes but would mostly fly to KLHW Fort Stewart.  Much cheaper fuel no tie down fees and I believe both Hertz and Enterprise would drop off the car for you before hand and you left it there upon leaving.  Extra 30 minutes to your drive but if you are already getting a car no problems.  The controllers at LHW were nice as were the ones  as SAV.  Much less traffic at LWH but I did get to see some F-22s :D taxing and taking off from SAV.

I didn't realize GA could go in there, as it's military...   I saw KSVN  is marked as private and needing permission, so I thought no.      I'm actually going to Tybee Island ... 

7 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

Check on this option at any FBO. Epps at PDK does the same thing. Not all do it, but it's worth asking.

Epps has a minimum (20 gallons maybe?).  I flew there last week, but only needed 10ish gallons.

Epps has a minimum (20 gallons maybe?).  I flew there last week, but only needed 10ish gallons.
It's a bummer when that happens. I'm based at PDK, so no minimums for me. Getting $0.50/gal off on the weekends is nice, but it's also high enough that I try to fill up elsewhere.

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

Happily, there's self-serve at the flight school next to Epps that's usually about a buck cheaper than Epps PDK.  Not well publicised,  but convenient.

4 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I didn't realize GA could go in there, as it's military...   I saw KSVN  is marked as private and needing permission, so I thought no.      I'm actually going to Tybee Island ... 

Correct, KSVN is Hunter Army Airfield which is home to the 3rd Infantry Division's Combat Aviation Brigade and 3rd Battalion - 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment.  Not getting in there unless you have prior approval.

Not sure when they opened KLHW (Wright Army Airfield/MidCoast Regional) to GA, but my guess is it was after the OH58D's were removed.  When I was stationed there from 2001-2004, it was military only.  Looks like a nice facility and they have new hangars there.  Cheap fuel too!

Cheers,

Brian

KLHW is a great little airport.  My son is stationed there at Ft Stewart so we have flown in.  Cheap gas, no tie down fees, very friendly FBO personnel.  Not sure about the rental car, if I recall it was a local company not a big national company.  We had the advantage of my son providing transportation.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kpaul said:

KLHW is a great little airport.  My son is stationed there at Ft Stewart so we have flown in.  Cheap gas, no tie down fees, very friendly FBO personnel.  Not sure about the rental car, if I recall it was a local company not a big national company.  We had the advantage of my son providing transportation.  

I flew in there to visit a buddy stationed at the fort. I agree with everything you said. 

I recall having to use SAV a couple of years ago on family vacation to SSI as our destination was weathered in with storms.  1) Sheltair all the way. 2) I was pleasantly surprised that my total bill was something approaching a reasonable per night tie down without a bunch of other fees tacked on even though I didn't take on fuel. 3) They found me a great rental car deal last min (as we had diverted for weather) and the line guys drove out so I could unload the plane on the ramp.  4) On the way back they were just as helpful and accommodating.  Always call ahead to ask what the fees are but I'd chose Sheltair over the Signature empire any day.  

I finished up my instrument training in Beaufort SC in 1995. Great little airport - they had an old pickup as the courtesy car, which they let me use all week. The fuel prices were fair - I remember we used a lot fo fuel that week. I even saw a small alligator on the taxiway.  http://airnav.com/airport/KARW

The examiner said that if I didn't make him spill his coffee I'd probably pass my checkride. I don't remember if he spilled his coffee in my 231, but I left with my IFR rating and a great feeling about this airport. I had an Argus 3000 in that Mooney and the examiner said that was almost like cheating. If I had to go back near Savannah, I'd go to Beaufort, which is just 33 nm away.

If all you want to do is get fuel, there is a self-serve pump at KSAV on the east side of runway 1 - 19 (next to the FedEx facility).  The fuel is significantly less expensive than Signature or Sheltair.  Having said that, fuel is even cheaper at the other airports mentioned in this string.