J

GaryP1007

I would extremely happy if they would find a way to economically resume manufacturing the 78 J with whatever safety related service bulletins applied (ram air removed, fuel selector between the seats). I am perfectly happy with my steam gauges, HSI, dual 430s and ForeFlight for under $95k.

Somebody is doing a re-manufacturing program for the 152 and I would like to think there might be a market for remanufactured Moonies.

I would extremely happy if they would find a way to economically resume manufacturing the 78 J with whatever safety related service bulletins applied (ram air removed, fuel selector between the seats). I am perfectly happy with my steam gauges, HSI, dual 430s and ForeFlight for under $95k.

Somebody is doing a re-manufacturing program for the 152 and I would like to think there might be a market for remanufactured Moonies.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little different thought on the best J. I've posted this idea before in a different context.  In my opinion an idle factory or idle space in a factory is inefficient. Idle employees are inefficient. The J model was and still is one of the best all around planes ever produced.  The tooling, factory, and employees are in place as we speak. I think the best J would be a kit built J with an owner assisted build by an experienced EAA builder. The plane would be lighter, faster, have a BRS, all modern experimental avionics(certified gps), carbon fiber where applicable, electronic ignition/mag, balanced engine, avoids high costs of labor, avoids high costs of liability, avoids all of the crazy certification standards, and be under $150,000.  Parts would be produced just like they are now at the factory.  The FAA only requires 51% of an experimental to be manufactured by the builder so the steel cage, wings, and gear could be premade so to speak. The factory would be producing more. Wouldn't compete with current Mooney offerings. This would be virtually separate from the current "Certified," aircraft being produced. Think of the 2020EAA Oshkosh award winner being a kit built Mooney 220J made with all certified parts. You Vans RV guys take note haha.  Not a lot of risk with at least allowing a couple to be built and see where it goes. Free Press to boot if done correctly.

Heck, A good EAA builder would probably pay to have this option and be the first so not a ton of costs involved.

Sorry for the lengthy post but that's my best J along with the one in the hangar.

• Like 1

actually I would talk with someone like All American Aircraft Sales or http://aircraftownershipsolutions.com/pages/home/1 to determine what it is you really think will be the "BEST J" for you (if you buy from them or not).

Again someone like...... I am certainly not endorsing anyone or endorsing any of the aircraft or websites in the prior post.

I think this is a pretty simple question to answer. The best J would be one of the later years, with a fully upgraded panel, decent interior and paint. A while back All American was  selling one of the M20J 205's. It had a nice panel, mid time engine and no damage history. I think it's pretty safe to say it was the best J to come up on the market in the last year. 

The best J will be one with the higher useful load, all the Lo Presti speed mods of the later models, a panel that the seller is losing a lot of money on, mid time engine, good paint and interior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

But the 205s were made at least 10 years before J production ended, Paul.  And who wants to have to haul around 2900 pounds if you can get the same useful load or more out of an earlier 2740 pound gross weight bird?  I think the issues are more complex and harder to answer, especially for someone else, than that. 

I wasn't aware of that with regards to the 205's. 

But the 205s were made at least 10 years before J production ended, Paul.  And who wants to have to haul around 2900 pounds if you can get the same useful load or more out of an earlier 2740 pound gross weight bird?  I think the issues are more complex and harder to answer, especially for someone else, than that. 

I was looking at that posting. I hadn’t known about those mods previously. Pretty attractive.

2 hours ago, GaryP1007 said:

I was looking at that posting. I hadn’t known about those mods previously. Pretty attractive.

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wasn't aware of that with regards to the 205's. 

The 2900# Gross Weight Increase is available to add to the M20J back to serial number -2000 if I recall right. That would be on the first 205's

Caution:  Mooney heresy follows:

Personally, I think the best J, may be an RV-10.

When you think about the reduced cost of ownership, the plethora of non-certified avionics available and the low time air-frames, I'm not sure why anyone would consider a J.

The biggest problem with an RV-10 is availability.  They don't stay on the market long.

• Like 1

My dream J is actually something like the one that Jimmy has listed right now on AAA.

If my current bird was my "forever" plane I'd do the following and never sell.

Start with 1000+ lb useful load J airframe.

Add TKS for northeast winter get out of jail traveling.  Ditch the vaccum and add a second alternator. 

Add a turbo-normalizer to maintain my goldilocks fuel efficiency vs power up in the oxygen levels

(Oh wait - that's a 231...  

But then you can have a M20M with the FIKI get out of jail card...

Oh my here we go again...)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I took off in my 2740 pound gross J a month or so ago right at gross and was reminded of how long it takes to accelerate it at gross. Once accelerated, though, it climbed reasonably well. I'd have to imagine that the 2900 pound gross Js are the same, but worse. 

Coming out of Centennial(KAPA) a few months ago right near gross on my 2900 lb J was certainly a slow experience... But I had deliberately taken on full fuel so I could play the dodge the thunderstorm game as long as I needed to on my route home. In reality I don't think I even used 30 minutes extra and even just to the tabs would have left me well above my personal and legal reserves but I was still glad to have the option.

Start with 1000+ lb useful load J airframe.
Add TKS for northeast winter get out of jail traveling.  Ditch the vaccum and add a second alternator. 
Add a turbo-normalizer to maintain my goldilocks fuel efficiency vs power up in the oxygen levels
P

With all that weight you just added, you turned your 1000 UL into 850 UL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1