Traffic plus weather in Canada

Vlakvark

Not sure if this is the right column. Im trying to see what I can use for traffic and weather on Foreflight or on a GTN650 in Canada. I use a stratusS2 plus looking at a GDL 52. But I cant see if the GDL works with Foreflight nor does the Stratus work up here in Canada. Both devices works great in the States. Any suggestion to get traffic up here.

JT

I use a Stratux and foreflight in BC and get local traffic only when in the zone of another plane that has ADS-B. I don't have it yet.

Since I don't have ADSB out, I don't get any towers so presume that is why I don't get weather or FIS (TIS? ) radar traffic also.

I am not sure if it is a Canada thing or no ADS-B out thing to be honest. We are close to the border and pick up US signals easily.

Do you have ADS-B out?  Curious to see if others know more. Might prompt by transponder upgrade timeline.

iain

I have the same problem when flying outside the US. I have the Garmin Pilot application on my Samsung S7 smart phone for weather and it works on most populated areas. Weather is mostly satellite view. I also have Stormscope which is a must over the Amazon. For traffic I have the Traffic-Watch ATD-300 connected to the GNS 530W which works anywhere there is ATC radar coverage. 

In Latin America and other countries they are waiting for the americans to come over and install the UAT ground stations at the expense of the US taxpayer. These countries see no benefits on ADS-B/UAT since airlines are weather radar and TCAS equipped. And revenues from small planes is practically none.

José

10 hours ago, milotron said:

I use a Stratux and foreflight in BC and get local traffic only when in the zone of another plane that has ADS-B. I don't have it yet.

Since I don't have ADSB out, I don't get any towers so presume that is why I don't get weather or FIS (TIS? ) radar traffic also.

I am not sure if it is a Canada thing or no ADS-B out thing to be honest. We are close to the border and pick up US signals easily.

Do you have ADS-B out?  Curious to see if others know more. Might prompt by transponder upgrade timeline.

iain

In the US as long as you're within range of a tower that's transmitting FIS-B (to anybody) you'll get it.   I don't have ADS-B out yet but I get weather, winds aloft, etc., on my tablet from the Stratux.  

In my area, Montreal QC, you have to be really close to the border (+/- 10nm) to get the ADS-B in signal that will provide you with the WX and traffic. As said earlier, you have to be  close to an ADS-B tower to get the benefit of ADS-B in.

I'll be soon installing an ADS-B transponder, it might change, but I'm not counting on it.

Another option for  is XM satellite weather.  There is a good setup to foreflight for in flight weather.   I use stratux and XM that has me covered.  How long are your flights? 

Edited by Marek7
  • Like 1