Yetti

Dynon Certified thread

Recommended Posts

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

22 hours ago, teejayevans said:

The 7” is greyed out, so I assume it’s not part of this STC.

hoping they will add it but it looks like the first AML to the STC will have to go with the $4K 10" top of the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two 7" screens in my RV.  Font is a little too small for my old eyes.  The 10" screens would cure that.  Also cure excess money in the checking account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those looking for simplified installation and retrofit to existing avionics and systems, you may want to take a look at the Approach Fast Stack avionics busses and wiring harnesses. http://www.approachfaststack.com

I have one of these in my CH2000, and its a pretty cool setup. It surely makes the wiring chore simpler, plug-n-play almost even. There is a separate harness/wire bundle that plugs into each radio/indicator/display in your panel, and each harness plugs into the appropriate connector on the avionics buss. Connect a few pigtails for power, ground, lighting, etc. All of the interconnections between all of the associated avionics are done in the circuitry inside the box, which you electronically configure for your specific installation. Some of the cons are potential added weight, finding a place to mount the buss, and I'm sure there are more. The buss box is relatively inexpensive, but some of the harnesses can get a bit pricey. 

At any rate, this may be what some of you are looking for as you consider how to take advantage of Dynon's installation approach. It provides a much easier upgrade path for folks who are doing incremental upgrades and replacements by eliminating most of the rewiring associated with incremental work.

Dynon has their own buss system, but I don't know if that will be part of the certified installation. It isn't listed in the STC so far as I can tell. And I don't know what non-Dynon gear it will talk with.

Cheers,
Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 5:07 PM, khedrei said:

That's sort of how I look at it.  I have a 430W.  Everything else I have is old.  My single axis Centry A/P rarely works and I wouldn't trust it in IMC even when it did happen to work.  I will need a 2020 xponder.  Friends have told me by the sound of my Turn Co-ordinator that it might have a year left.  I also only have a traditional DG and would like an HSI.  With the dual G5 and GFC500 autopilot (if it ever comes out) I am in for 12-13k plus install.  Add in 8k for a GTX-345 xponder.  Plus my second com is old and although it works fine, the display doesn't always...  I could also use a new audio panel.

 

Even if lets say I do everything and have to spend 30-40k to bring the panel completely into todays age it seems worth it to me considering just adding an auto pilot and transponder would run me in the low 20's.  Why not just do everything.  If not, what it my AI goes, or my vacuum pump goes.  2k here, 2k there.  Before I realize it I am spending the same money to keep my plane working but with mostly old technology.  If Garmin had their autopilot available today it might be a different conversation and I might be considering different options.

 

To me, Dynon is making more and more sense.  Especially since they allowed a shop of my choice to install it.

The Garmin AP is only a couple of months off from being STC'd for some (maybe most/all) Mooneys, and it looks like it's going to be really full featured.  Envelope protection, TOGA, VNAV (with GTN) and YD are pretty nice things to have.  

That said, I had a first generation Dynon D1 in my Cherokee as a backup AI and it worked surprisingly well.  I felt more confident that the D1 could get me on the ground safely than I did when I only had a RC Allen electric backup AI.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Junkman said:

For those looking for simplified installation and retrofit to existing avionics and systems, you may want to take a look at the Approach Fast Stack avionics busses and wiring harnesses. http://www.approachfaststack.com

I have one of these in my CH2000, and its a pretty cool setup. It surely makes the wiring chore simpler, plug-n-play almost even. There is a separate harness/wire bundle that plugs into each radio/indicator/display in your panel, and each harness plugs into the appropriate connector on the avionics buss. Connect a few pigtails for power, ground, lighting, etc. All of the interconnections between all of the associated avionics are done in the circuitry inside the box, which you electronically configure for your specific installation. Some of the cons are potential added weight, finding a place to mount the buss, and I'm sure there are more. The buss box is relatively inexpensive, but some of the harnesses can get a bit pricey. 

At any rate, this may be what some of you are looking for as you consider how to take advantage of Dynon's installation approach. It provides a much easier upgrade path for folks who are doing incremental upgrades and replacements by eliminating most of the rewiring associated with incremental work.

Dynon has their own buss system, but I don't know if that will be part of the certified installation. It isn't listed in the STC so far as I can tell. And I don't know what non-Dynon gear it will talk with.

Cheers,
Rick

I talked with the approach fast stack folks about redoing my panel in stages rather than a full makeover all at once.  I was thinking the approach fast stack would make it easier to redo the panel in stages. They told me that if an EFIS is part of the panel then the EFIS becomes the hub.  They didn’t recommend the system with a G500TXI that was professionally installed- better to build a custom wiring harness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smccray said:

I talked with the approach fast stack folks about redoing my panel in stages rather than a full makeover all at once.  I was thinking the approach fast stack would make it easier to redo the panel in stages. They told me that if an EFIS is part of the panel then the EFIS becomes the hub.  They didn’t recommend the system with a G500TXI that was professionally installed- better to build a custom wiring harness.

Good info! I didn't get that from them, but I probably didn't ask the right questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, 81X said:

The Garmin AP is only a couple of months off from being STC'd for some (maybe most/all) Mooneys, and it looks like it's going to be really full featured.  Envelope protection, TOGA, VNAV (with GTN) and YD are pretty nice things to have.  

That said, I had a first generation Dynon D1 in my Cherokee as a backup AI and it worked surprisingly well.  I felt more confident that the D1 could get me on the ground safely than I did when I only had a RC Allen electric backup AI.  

 

 

 

Not sure where you get a couple months from?  Did they recently update the site.  The STC isn't even under development yet last I looked.  They say that they plan to start it in the next 12 months.  So if that does in fact happen, and if it takes 12 months to develop that means it could be 24 months or more before we see anything.  Maybe longer.

Edited by khedrei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, khedrei said:

Not sure where you get a couple months from?  Did they recently update the site.  The STC isn't even under development yet last I looked.  They say that they plan to start it in the next 12 months.  So if that does in fact happen, and if it takes 12 months to develop that means it could be 24 months or more before we see anything.  Maybe longer.

Dynon or Garmin?

Garmin is using a members bravo and they own an ovation and J. The certification is currently being worked on and should be done in the dec-Jan time frame. 

I’m not sure how many Mooney aircraft Dynon owns or is currently testing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Garmin website says they plan to start development in the next 12 months so I'm not sure where dec or Jan comes in. I dont know why they wouldn't update the site if that's the case. We will see though. I definitely like the capability of the Garmin. It will depend what comes out first and how much spare cash I have to spend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Dynon or Garmin?

Garmin is using a members bravo and they own an ovation and J. The certification is currently being worked on and should be done in the dec-Jan time frame. 

I’m not sure how many Mooney aircraft Dynon owns or is currently testing. 

 

4 hours ago, khedrei said:

Not sure where you get a couple months from?  Did they recently update the site.  The STC isn't even under development yet last I looked.  They say that they plan to start it in the next 12 months.  So if that does in fact happen, and if it takes 12 months to develop that means it could be 24 months or more before we see anything.  Maybe longer.

A very credible source!  Maybe I should have said "a few" rather than "a couple"; the member's airplane Garmin is using for development is mine- a K 231.  I'm hoping to have it back by the end of the year, so in theory, the STC would be issued sometime around there; I'm not sure what the exact STC issuance process or time frame is after testing is complete.  I'm super excited to see how the digital AP performs, especially in rough air.  Not to take from Dynon and hijack, but I was and am super impressed by how much the Garmin people really care about making great products.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, khedrei said:

The Garmin website says they plan to start development in the next 12 months so I'm not sure where dec or Jan comes in. I dont know why they wouldn't update the site if that's the case. We will see though. I definitely like the capability of the Garmin. It will depend what comes out first and how much spare cash I have to spend. 

Here is where it comes from:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the update in the other thread. Going to have to make some decisions soon...

Edited by khedrei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Here is where it comes from:

 

Right - seems Garmin is currently in testing already for a month or more.  One thing about Garmin is they are the elephant in the room.  They know how to push products through the STC process in a timely manner.  I am guessing we see a certified GFC500 by Jan 1.  I might be an early adopter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Right - seems Garmin is currently in testing already for a month or more.  One thing about Garmin is they are the elephant in the room.  They know how to push products through the STC process in a timely manner.  I am guessing we see a certified GFC500 by Jan 1.  I might be an early adopter.

the one thing i saw about their plans for the GFC 500 is they did not include  models A,B,C,D or G. I hope they change that to include short bodies before they submit for the STC

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Here is where it comes from:

 

Ah- this must be the long body they are working on.  seems like the work for at least the long and mid-bodies are being done simultaneously.  Neat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orionflt said:

the one thing i saw about their plans for the GFC 500 is they did not include  models A,B,C,D or G. I hope they change that to include short bodies before they submit for the STC

Brian

Hourumph - that's not nice.  They must be not including E yet then either?

Well for my selfish me - I am glad they are including K - but I bet for my shorty body brethren maybe they will eventuallY?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orionflt said:

the one thing i saw about their plans for the GFC 500 is they did not include  models A,B,C,D or G. I hope they change that to include short bodies before they submit for the STC

Brian

Just a quick correction, the G is included on the list of those in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, 201Mooniac said:

Just a quick correction, the G is included on the list of those in progress.

yes, Typed G vs E :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AML for SkyView is planned for Q4 2018.  Supposedly there are supposed to be more approach cert GPS coming out that will dollar/technology price points below the G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AML for SkyView is planned for Q4 2018.  Supposedly there are supposed to be more approach cert GPS coming out that will dollar/technology price points below the G 

Hmmm, you used Supposedly and supposed in the same sentence? I would not hold my breath on rumored products, history has show even announced products with definitive release dates miss their promised release dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yetti said:

AML for SkyView is planned for Q4 2018.  Supposedly there are supposed to be more approach cert GPS coming out that will dollar/technology price points below the G 

From Dynon?  Or someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.