Dynon Certified thread

Yetti

I am triggered by the one screw that is a different color.   and they are all not lined up the same way.   My buddy with the skyview in the certified plane may get his application moved to another FSDO that is not as grumpy #stuckintechnologyrut

4 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I am triggered by the one screw that is a different color.   and they are all not lined up the same way.   My buddy with the skyview in the certified plane may get his application moved to another FSDO that is not as grumpy #stuckintechnologyrut

Huh?  Someone is getting a Dynon skyview in a certified by field approval?  What kind of airplane?

Keep in mind there are multiple version of the Skyview.  There's the SE, Classic, Touch, and HDX.  And they come in two sizes.  If I end up with an HDX, I think I'll end up with the smaller screen because it should fit in the place of 4 round dials. That leaves more panel space for the airspeed, altimeter, G5/Dynon/Sandia (in place of the TC), and the autopilot controller (and maybe the bug setting panel too).  The larger screen takes up the space of 6 round dials. 

You don't have to buy the entire package.  We already have GEM we are happy with.  It would cost a bit over $1200 in parts to install the engine monitor system.  Same with the ADS-B.  We already have a GTX 345.  But Dynon is OK with that.  You can buy just the main system, add the ARINC interface to the GTN650, add the AHRS box, add the autopilot panel, add the bug setting panel, add 4 servos to get pitch, roll, autotrim and yaw dampener.  And for $35 I can add WiFi so you can push a flightplan from Foreflight to the HDX.  Then tie the entire system to the GTN for IFR navigation.  According to the manual, if you make changes in the GTN, they will be pushed to the HDX.  However, Garmin no longer allows changes in the HDX to be pushed to the GTN.

With that system I would have an IFR certified GPS, a battery backed up GPS (the HDX), and a battery backed up ADI/AS/Alt/Hdg system.

I plan to talk to Dynon in a couple weeks at the aviation trade show in my home town of Puyallup, WA.  If they show up I also plan to talk to Garmin, TruTrak, Trio, and BK.  I'll report back what I find out.

• Like 3

The reason for the pics was to determine approach.   Wade in or big bang.   I am planning to wade into Skyview and it should start in the back up catagory.    And then upgrade over time.  Also designing in redundancy.   With that approach it looks like 7" is the starting point.  10" is not going to leave much real estate for back up dials.   Not sure what the speed penalty is, but I like the idea of a separate pitot static on the starboard wing.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

The reason for the pics was to determine approach.   Wade in or big bang.   I am planning to wade into Skyview and it should start in the back up catagory.    And then upgrade over time.  Also designing in redundancy.   With that approach it looks like 7" is the starting point.  10" is not going to leave much real estate for back up dials.   Not sure what the speed penalty is, but I like the idea of a separate pitot static on the starboard wing.

That was my approach as well on my 1975 F. I only wanted a GPS navigator. My "wading in" didn't turn out so well.

5a7b58d9d1141_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.a70b5f1b7a9dbccb0deb08652ee84ee7.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

That was my approach as well on my 1975 F. I only wanted a GPS navigator. My "wading in" didn't turn out so well.

5a7b58d9d1141_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.a70b5f1b7a9dbccb0deb08652ee84ee7.jpg

You promised you would not put pictures of the 1975 interior anymore.  #internetfail

• Like 1

The Dynon seems to make a lot of sense for us vintage guys who have a variety of needs. My C doesn't have an autopilot (safety), an engine monitor (complete engine data) or an ADSB solution (mandated). One box that does all three and so much more for less than $20K? Where do I sign up!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Chris from PA said:

The Dynon seems to make a lot of sense for us vintage guys who have a variety of needs. My C doesn't have an autopilot (safety), an engine monitor (complete engine data) or an ADSB solution (mandated). One box that does all three and so much more for less than $20K? Where do I sign up!

Are you telling me Jerry didn't install of that stuff before he sold you his C? :D

Are you telling me Jerry didn't install of that stuff before he sold you his C? 
Ha! I'm sure you know Jerry put plenty of money into this old C. He sold me a good starter Mooney which already had a few bells and whistles. Now it's my turn to invest $75K into a $45K airplane!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

STC issued for the 172. (Also noted earlier in the autopilot thread.)

I received this email from Dynon a couple of hours ago:

DYNON CERTIFIED UPDATE
SkyView HDX is now STC Approved!

We're excited to share that we've just received our first Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for our flagship SkyView HDX system. The STC’s Approved Model List (AML), which initially covers many Cessna 172 models, ushers in a new era of truly affordable, safety-enhancing integrated avionics systems for type certificated aircraft.

The initial STC is for the installation of a full suite of Dynon avionics, allowing pilots to remove the vast majority of their legacy instrumentation, including their vacuum pump. The SkyView HDX system provides complete primary flight instrumentation, including synthetic vision and angle of attack, and complete engine monitoring with CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, fuel computer, and lean assist. Also approved is Dynon’s fully-integrated two axis autopilot, which features IFR approach capability when SkyView is integrated with a compatible navigator. The approved installation also includes a Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out, Navigation and Mapping with Flight Planning ADS-B Traffic and Weather display, and Electronic Flight Bag features. Backup primary flight instruments are provided by a Dynon EFIS-D10A.

Approved Model List

The initial Approved Model List (AML) covers Cessna 172F, 172G, 172H, 172I, 172K, 172L, 172M, 172N, 172P, 172Q, 172R, and 172S models. Approval does not restrict the operational use of the aircraft, and allows for flight in both IFR and VFR. Dynon will be seeking additional approvals for both single and twin-engine aircraft in the coming months.

Pricing and Availability

Pricing for the certified/PMA versions of approved Dynon products will be the same as existing experimental/light sport products. The STC for Cessna 172 aircraft is priced at $2,000. The first installations will be available in the coming weeks via US Sport Aircraft + Thrust Flight in Texas, Merrill Field Instruments in Alaska, and a Dynon-affiliated facility in the Pacific Northwest.

Additional Information

For more information about Dynon Certified and our SkyView HDX system, visit our website at www.dynon.aero/certified.
  • Like 2

5a7b255f1e8bf_Dynon(2).thumb.JPG.40312ea0414833e71fea0dbf31e7bbde.JPG
I got to fly in an a Dynon equipped RV. Really liked the functionality.
I know that specific panel pretty well.... Worth noting that the 7" screen is quite sufficient for both PFD and map. That RV (classic SV, not Touch or HDX) doesn't have the engine monitoring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know that specific panel pretty well.... Worth noting that the 7" screen is quite sufficient for both PFD and map. That RV (classic SV, not Touch or HDX) doesn't have the engine monitoring.

Yeah, I think that plane has a Subaru engine in it. Not sure they can do engine monitoring with that motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I think that plane has a Subaru engine in it. Not sure they can do engine monitoring with that motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, exactly. My point was that the 7" is enough for the PFD and MFD, but I don't have enough information to know if would need the 10" with the EMS as well.

Any updated intel on how much we think these things will cost - including installation?

Per their media kit, “Pricing for the certified/PMA versions of approved Dynon products will be the same as existing experimental/light sport products. The STC for Cessna 172 aircraft is priced at $2,000. “

• Like 1

Per their media kit, “Pricing for the certified/PMA versions of approved Dynon products will be the same as existing experimental/light sport products. The STC for Cessna 172 aircraft is priced at $2,000. “

That works out to roughly $18k for a 2 screen system (depending on screen size, etc). No clue on install costs

14 minutes ago, TCC said:

Right - but the installed cost - and aren't they closely controlling the install price.  So what is the out the door price.

39 minutes ago, jmoz said:

That works out to roughly $18k for a 2 screen system (depending on screen size, etc). No clue on install costs

My worry is that install will cost somewhere between 5 and 20k....  That puts it somewhere between a good idea and too expensive for my likes.

Right - but the installed cost - and aren't they closely controlling the install price.  So what is the out the door price.

I don’t know the answer to your question. I would suggest a call to one of the two authorized installers to get a better idea.

As with anything, you’ll have to figure out for yourself if the value prop is there. For some folks, it will be. For others it won’t.

15 minutes ago, TCC said:

I don’t know the answer to your question. I would suggest a call to one of the two authorized installers to get a better idea.

As with anything, you’ll have to figure out for yourself if the value prop is there. For some folks, it will be. For others it won’t.

Hey I know you don't know.  I was just throwing it out to the community.  If anyone knows yet.  Im not going to call to find out now - because I don't have a C172 and I am sure the answer will bubble up.  I will become more serious, serious enough to call when they get close to certify the M20.