Dynon Certified thread

Yetti

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:54 AM, NotarPilot said:

How does Garmin get over 500 models certified for their G3X touch all at once while Dynon is doing one model at a time?  I’m not criticizing, just curious how that happened. Hell, Garmin even got the M22 added to the AML! 

Two words... "Automatic" and "Pilot"

.........… from a conversation with Transport Canada 2 years ago...

"Displays" are easy, they don't kill people. .... "Pilots" , electrical or human,  kill people. (translation, "kill voters" )  Each is an individual system in an individual airframe. Each has to be individually examined and approved or rated, human or electro-mechanical.. , medically or performance wise...

"We are not going to let either drop an aircraft onto a citizen without serious oversight"

Plus.... I suspect Garmin is on a first name basis with many of the FAA people involved, with a comfort level (and a map) established over many years. Dynon started from scratch. New kid on the block, probably not even known to the FAA guys... Dynon made some mistakes... Including the AP in the request for the STC, choosing the wrong market for their (25 AMU plus) system (The 172) (Really?) and vastly underestimating the time and effort involved...   New "installers" are not signing on to their program in droves for the same reason.. (and they are straight out with ADSB installs as well)

They apparently have, wisely (IMHO) retrenched and are stepping forward now , carefully on a new business plan. The 172 systems are not exactly flying of the shelves, and like many small businesses, probably depend on some  initial market penetration success to finance further development (and to give further confidence to their investors) . The 172 market flopped, and has probably limited their resources going forward..

Disclaimer.. Business is my business, and this is from an observation only of what has happened. I have no direct knowledge of Dynon or Garmin, or any other. Having several of my own businesses, and having offered services to others as a business counsellor and consultant, some things are easy to see, it's a common pattern. Hindsight is easy..   :)

Nav

Edited by Navi

On 3/28/2019 at 3:54 AM, NotarPilot said:

How does Garmin get over 500 models certified for their G3X touch all at once while Dynon is doing one model at a time?  I’m not criticizing, just curious how that happened. Hell, Garmin even got the M22 added to the AML! 

Supposedly Garmin has FAA personnel "in house" who do this stuff for them. I know there was discussion of this awhile back about Avidyne's trouble getting their version 10 software approved. Meanwhile Garmin was getting all sorts of stuff approved. If you're big enough, you can have your own FAA guy with an office in your building.

There was a time, back when Smartphones began using free GPS driving Apps (Google Maps, MapQuest, Waze), that I was concerned that Garmin wouldn't make it.  Clearly they made some good decisions on which markets they really needed in order to survive and thrive, and followed up with hardware that made them a market leader.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So I started this thread in December of 2017.   I think there were 2 government shut downs....    There are some boxes on a truck and it is much cooler down here.   Year and 9 months.  

I am going with a phased in approach to this fancy lectronics thingy.

My friend with the Baron doing his own STC with A/P is still waiting for Dynon to release some software hopefully this month.   I would think that once they get the version of the software done that supports him that would also make a path to the Dynon STC with A/P.    Remember he had to get a DER to sign off on his Servo mount.   Which was exactly the same as the old mount, but the hole was moved an inch from the Bendix King Servo.

I have no great desire to be a flight test pilot for A/P     My very first Cross Country as a Student pilot the BK Auto pilot would not disconnect.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

So I started this thread in December of 2017.   I think there were 2 government shut downs....    There are some boxes on a truck and it is much cooler down here.   Year and 9 months.  

I am going with a phased in approach to this fancy lectronics thingy.

My friend with the Baron doing his own STC with A/P is still waiting for Dynon to release some software hopefully this month.   I would think that once they get the version of the software done that supports him that would also make a path to the Dynon STC with A/P.    Remember he had to get a DER to sign off on his Servo mount.   Which was exactly the same as the old mount, but the hole was moved an inch from the Bendix King Servo.

I have no great desire to be a flight test pilot for A/P     My very first Cross Country as a Student pilot the BK Auto pilot would not disconnect.

What parts are you going to start the project with? Please take some before, after and during pictures!

The phases look like this:

Phase 1 with the 7" screen in the two radio stacks.   Key features will be the ADSB and some Engine monitoring  (All the required STC items including the back up d10A EFIS)

Phase 1.5 will be add the second radio back and finish the engine Monitoring.   

Phase 2 will be the replace the steam 6 pack with a 10" screen.

Phase 3 will be pull all the vacuum and add the Dynon A/P servos.
  • Like 1