Dynon Certified thread

Yetti

I have a friend that helped on the standards rewrite board.  He also is working on his own STC for the Skyview in the Baron.  So he sees more of the industry than I do.   It would make sense to have new affordable items.   All these people flying around with 15 year equipment and technology and doing approaches does not seems like the safest way to do all this.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

I have a friend that helped on the standards rewrite board.  He also is working on his own STC for the Skyview in the Baron.  So he sees more of the industry than I do.   It would make sense to have new affordable items.   All these people flying around with 15 year equipment and technology and doing approaches does not seems like the safest way to do all this.

I agree... but then it makes me thing about my35 year old airplane...

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I agree... but then it makes me thing about my35 year old airplane...

Agreed. I always wonder if the factory workers planned for their work to be around for the next 40-50 years.... or if Al thought of that in the plan.

• Like 2

I feel bad now that I got my instrument rating 15 years ago... Had 2 of the funny things with the lines that go left and right, one of them had the thing that went up and down and there was a third instrument had a pointy bit that just went in circles. It's a wonder I survived.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, Steve W said:

I feel bad now that I got my instrument rating 15 years ago... Had 2 of the funny things with the lines that go left and right, one of them had the thing that went up and down and there was a third instrument had a pointy bit that just went in circles. It's a wonder I survived.

15 years ago?  I'm using those funny things to get mine today!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My M20K is probably worth about $90k.  The autopilot just crumped.  I have steam gauges now.  I have had an Aspen 1500 and a Garmin G500 in previous aircrafts.  I didn't love the Aspen and would love a less expensive option than either.  Hoping for an option under $15K installed (including AP).

My interior will be done in March so I am hoping for the Dynon Skyview.  If the STC for the M20K isn't available yet (which I bet it won't be), I need an alternative.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Auren said:

My M20K is probably worth about $90k.  The autopilot just crumped.  I have steam gauges now.  I have had an Aspen 1500 and a Garmin G500 in previous aircrafts.  I didn't love the Aspen and would love a less expensive option than either.  Hoping for an option under $15K installed (including AP).

My interior will be done in March so I am hoping for the Dynon Skyview.  If the STC for the M20K isn't available yet (which I bet it won't be), I need an alternative.

Any ideas?

GFC500.

1 hour ago, Auren said:

Any ideas?

The Dynon will double your budget. Might try to find a used aspen (or new e5) and wait for the trutrak AP to be certified. You’ll probably be able to get that done under budget, barely. 

1 hour ago, Auren said:

Any ideas?

Under $15k installed?  TruTrak if you don't care about being able to fly coupled approaches.  The TruTrak will be about $5000 in parts and it does not care what you have for an attitude indicator.

The GFC500 will cost you at a minimum one G5 as an attitude indicator plus the GMU11, GAD29B and the GFC500 with pitch and roll but no manual electric/autotrim.  That's $10,000 in parts plus install.  If you can get that installed for $5000 you will meet your budget.

Add the G5 HSI and pitch trim servo and you are probably looking at another $4000-$4500 in parts and even more labor.

I've started hearing unkind things about the Trio.

4 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’m curious about how similar the Trio is to the TT?

I've looked through both manuals.  The Trio has more buttons (4) to push.  The TT only has two.  In either case you need to become familiar with buttonology to be able to use it effectively.  But that's the case with any piece of equipment.  Neither one can legally be coupled to an approach.  At least not yet.  Both are capable though.

You can go to their websites and download the pilot manual.  Trio even has some videos showing its operation.

I've read reports of problems with Trio installs in Cessna's.  Mounting locations that did not seem secure that might cause future structural cracking.  Some have complained about support for fixing those issues.  I even read of one owner that was so unhappy with it that he removed it from his plane and will be installing another autopilot instead.  Of course some of that could be operator error.

9 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Under $15k installed?  TruTrak if you don't care about being able to fly coupled approaches.  The TruTrak will be about $5000 in parts and it does not care what you have for an attitude indicator.

The GFC500 will cost you at a minimum one G5 as an attitude indicator plus the GMU11, GAD29B and the GFC500 with pitch and roll but no manual electric/autotrim.  That's $10,000 in parts plus install.  If you can get that installed for $5000 you will meet your budget.

Add the G5 HSI and pitch trim servo and you are probably looking at another $4000-$4500 in parts and even more labor.

I've started hearing unkind things about the Trio.

Thanks folks, really great to have experienced helpers!

Approximate costs:

GFC500 $7000

GMU 11 $300

G5 $2200

GAD29B $700

Did I get that right?

Any guesses on installation?

Ballparks are fine.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

For those who just want basic glass, the D100 is available today and approved for Mooney.

Tom

But presumably not tomorrow:

WHERE TO PURCHASE
The EFIS-D100 was discontinued in January 2019. 

(Bottom of the page here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/efis-d100.php )

Edited by Steve W

But presumably not tomorrow:
WHERE TO PURCHASE The EFIS-D100 was discontinued in January 2019.    (Bottom of the page here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/efis-d100.php )  

I don’t see that, but saw this
“The EFIS-D100 is part of the Legacy line of Dynon products. They are supported and still manufactured by Dynon, but may have more limited availability. See SkyView SE for our newest affordable 7” experience. “
Of course the SE not approved yet.

Tom

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, Yetti said:

In the interest of a large MFD retrofit SOON.. This may be of interest...

https://www.bendixking.com/en/produ...MIyL-6vamb4AIVBLnACh0XegmoEAAYASAAEgJr__D_BwE

STC for many aircraft soon...

Nav