Dynon Certified thread

Yetti

12 hours ago, toto said:

I know that @Eric W. Gray probably can't comment, but does anyone knowledgeable about the process think it's realistic to have Mooney models on the AML in calendar 2018?

It may sound optimistic but we are working towards building the AML, including several Mooney models, by the end of 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is one K/Rocket around here that is decidedly getting a stem to stern update...

The photographs of a modern Dynon panel in a plane that is bread to be a super high performance machine, would be a marketing Coup.

Picture a plane with an oversized TC'd engine, a four blade composite prop, beautiful modern interior, even the Wings are updated with things like VGs and TKS for Northern climes...

Fortunately for us that pilot doesn't mind typing a few nice words about the project.

Could be a win win for everyone...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There is one K/Rocket around here that is decidedly getting a stem to stern update...

The photographs of a modern Dynon panel in a plane that is bread to be a super high performance machine, would be a marketing Coup.

Picture a plane with an oversized TC'd engine, a four blade composite prop, beautiful modern interior, even the Wings are updated with things like VGs and TKS for Northern climes...

Fortunately for us that pilot doesn't mind typing a few nice words about the project.

Best regards,

-a-

Oooh - that’s me!!!!  :-).  Make N314EB that poster-plane!

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

already tried that with my F.   Even offering to donate install time.

Hello Yetti

Thank you for your offer and enthusiasm for our SkyView HDX system.  I must tell you we have no shortage of individuals volunteering their aircraft for prototype installation.  We do not yet know whether we will need or want to use customer airplanes for that purpose.  There are many factors which will affect those decisions, and some of those factors won't be known until our initial STC is fully approved.

My best recommendation is that you complete the interest form on our website.  Those who complete that form will become the definitive list of who we might respond to if we determine we need access to certain aircraft types in expanding our AML.

I receive a huge number of E-mails like yours and phone calls on the same topic, and I simply can't manage them all for imndividual follow-up.  Thus if you are willing, please complete the form at the following link on our website:

https://docs.google.com/a/dynonavionics.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfM0_fYPr4tTA0Y1xLi5wORbJKsmEl-ujR7N9IpcB7gwylymQ/viewform

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 3:19 PM, carusoam said:

Would one Mooney work, or does it take an alphabet of Mooneys to get the STC to cover all Mooney models? M20A-M20U...

Thinking out loud...

-a-

I’ve often wondered this about the STC process.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:32 AM, Eric W. Gray said:

It may sound optimistic but we are working towards building the AML, including several Mooney models, by the end of 2018.

This would definitely work for me. I could see doing a full panel upgrade in 2019.  I recently saw the HDX on display at Spruce last week and really really REALLY loved it.  Seeing it in person may have been the tipping point for me.  I really like how all the information I would need is on the screen.  I was planning on getting a G5 HSI this year but I’m probably gonna hold off on that now pending full HDX installation in the not too distant future.  

But this brings up some issues regarding the STC. I already have a NGT-9000 transponder which I really like and 2 Avidyne 440s. My new PMA450A audio panel has only two comm spots.  My old GMA340 could support three radios so I’m wondering how this will all work out if the Dynon STC requires me to install a Dynon transponder, replace my S-Tec 30 with the Dynon autopilot and will is require I use the Dynon comm radio? This could present an issue for me as I’ve already invested a significant amount of money in my plane. But I really like the HDX and I’m open to solutions. 

1F9108D2-C907-4D6A-91F0-274BB275F128.jpeg

3C7B3596-962A-4B3C-ACD7-7B0D8556905C.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Based on what I saw in the 172 (IIRC), my bet is they are going to require all or nothing...I think I’m going to put in a G5 (maybe dual) while I wait on Dynon.

I talked to two different reps at OSH about this and they said all or nothing. However, a lot can change in 1.5-2 years. IIRC they said one thing that can really slow them down model to model is the AP servo mounting locations/tabs being different between model years. 

8 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

Based on what I saw in the 172 (IIRC), my bet is they are going to require all or nothing...I think I’m going to put in a G5 (maybe dual) while I wait on Dynon.

That’s a shame. I have a feeling the “all or nothing” model may be a non-starter for a lot of people, probably myself included. I think it would be a shame being that I would much rather buy Dynon over Garmin.

6 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

That’s a shame. I have a feeling the “all or nothing” model may be a non-starter for a lot of people, probably myself included. I think it would be a shame being that I would much rather buy Dynon over Garmin.

All in one package might still be cheaper than in parts of a garmin package.  We shall see.

Edited by aviatoreb

Certifying with OEM has to be expensive, do you want it cheap, fast, support all OEMs...pick any 2.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:37 AM, NotarPilot said:

From Dynon's certified Skyview FAQ's, in answer to the question "Do I need to install the full system?" Their answer is:

"Dynon will have a variety of system configurations available to tailor an installation to your aircraft. This may include omitting some products that you choose to not install."

Hopefully this will be true...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, ohdub said:

From Dynon's certified Skyview FAQ's, in answer to the question "Do I need to install the full system?" Their answer is:

"Dynon will have a variety of system configurations available to tailor an installation to your aircraft. This may include omitting some products that you choose to not install."

Hopefully this will be true...

If it is, I’m all in.

• Like 2

Apparently the FAA's largest heartburn item are EFIS.   So the one thing that could add safety by replication of flight instruments that you could make redundant, is the one thing the FAA does not want to see in a certified plane.   Meanwhile lots of Experimental planes are able to stay in the sky with sketchy EFIS units.   sigh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weeks away - I will commence holding my breath!!,

I wonder how many people are holding off on this - the differential between this and the current market is huge, its got to be hurting the likes of Trio, Aspen etc who have standalone offerings and cannot hope to offer this sort of all in one package, which I suspect is one of the reasons the price differential is so high.

If you have to test your autopilot with every DG and HSI combination out there is has got to add a lot of cost.

https://www.avweb.com/news/features/Dynon-Skyview-HDX-Glass-An-Update-230169-1.html

13 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Nice article in online Aviation Consumer this morning.  Very exciting.

What's the title of the new AC article? I couldn't find it on their website. (I'm excitedly watching for any news on this, and the Avweb thing just seemed to confirm everything we have heard here.)