Does someone have the Fuel System Setup manual for Ovation IO550G 310HP?

THill182

I followed the recommendation from my last annual and am in the process of having my fuel system overhauled (310HP Ovation, 2000).

Does anyone have the Service instructions from Continental for the 310HP IO550G used in the 310 conversion? Last time a local mechanic used the 280 HP instructions and I ended up with way too little fuel flow on takeoff. I want to provide the right instructions to the local shop - just in case...

THANK!

Several knowledgeable engine shops recommend the Continental injection system be setup to provide a fuel flow of between .55 to .60 lb/hr per horsepower

Continental's general recommendation is between 140 to 160 lb/hr with no reference to HP. 

Using the .6 lb/hr/hp you will get .6x310 =  186 lb/hr

Divide pounds by 6.0 (wt of 100ll) you get 31 gallons per hour at full power.

You could reference the Continental SID 97-3E Table 3 but it specifies RPM to 2500 max.

TCMFuelFlowSID97-3E.pdf

image.thumb.png.0d158f854d6744f04073c3b90c44e0a3.png

SID 97-3 has been incorporated in CMI M-0 manual now. Mooney's M20-107 is for the original M20S & R's (240 and 280HP) and is not applicable to the 310HP variant. The 310HP is based on the G being setup as a IO-550-N and uses the IO-550-N numbers shown above. The table above is from the current CMI M-O manual dated July 2017

As @MIm20c suggest,  its certainly important to talk to the shop to discuss your desire to set it up to the high number (rather than just in the range), such as by plus 1 GPH. I wouldn't set it up higher till it was shown to be really warranted.

Edited by kortopates
half post was missing

TH,

The STC has the fuel flow range.  You should have a copy of the STC in your engine log notebook thing. I got an electronic version posted my Midwest Mooney a few years ago...

If you want to climb at FT and full rpm, the 27.2 gph FF will not keep the CHTs where you want them...

Definitely discuss with your mechanic what it takes to go above that range...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Several knowledgeable engine shops recommend the Continental injection system be setup to provide a fuel flow of between .55 to .60 lb/hr per horsepower

Continental's general recommendation is between 140 to 160 lb/hr with no reference to HP. 

Using the .6 lb/hr/hp you will get .6x310 =  186 lb/hr

Divide pounds by 6.0 (wt of 100ll) you get 31 gallons per hour at full power.

You could reference the Continental SID 97-3E Table 3 but it specifies RPM to 2500 max.

TCMFuelFlowSID97-3E.pdf

The SID you’re referring to is obsolete. Current info directs to the TCM maintenance manual as well people should be referring to Mooney sI M20-107 or the sTC as applicable.

Clarence 

Thanks everyone; as I said I had a shop set up my engine to the 280HP specs, and it was impossible to keep CHT's to <400F on climbout. Don Maxwell corrected that at an annual and in fact made it all run perfectly (about 850 RPM on idle, slight rise of RPM on shutdown, never had engine die on roll-out after landing; when the engine was set up but inexperienced shop none of this was the case).

Anyway, I have SID97-3E which is I understand obsolete (shows the IO550G Fuel Flow at 2500 RPM way too low). I also have an old version of of ML20-107 here http://www.mooney.com/en/si/M20-107.pdf ; but again, that is old and for the Ovation II setup. I will start calling around for someone who has experience with this engine when it is set up for >300 HP.

PS: If anyone has the fuel flow charts and setup instructions for the Ovation III -- that would be helpful.

5 hours ago, THill182 said:

PS: If anyone has the fuel flow charts and setup instructions for the Ovation III -- that would be helpful.

I posted it above 3 post up, but for some reason only the bottom portion was visible till I just edited it above. The table shows a high number of 27.3 GPH and suggest targeting for 1 GPH higher or 28.3 GPH.

8 hours ago, kortopates said:

I posted it above 3 post up, but for some reason only the bottom portion was visible till I just edited it above. The table shows a high number of 27.3 GPH and suggest targeting for 1 GPH higher or 28.3 GPH.

Hmm; I cannot see the IO550G with 2700RPM on that table; only the TIO550G with 2700RPM. But that is ok; I think I know what to work on, i.e., I really want at least 28.3 or even 30gph on takeoff (I can always lean a bit). 

Thanks! 

Hmm; I cannot see the IO550G with 2700RPM on that table; only the TIO550G with 2700RPM. But that is ok; I think I know what to work on, i.e., I really want at least 28.3 or even 30gph on takeoff (I can always lean a bit). 

Thanks! 

For the 310HP, the -G is configured as a -N, so you're going by the -N. I thought I explained that above but it doesn't show in Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, kortopates said:

For the 310HP, the -G is configured as a -N, so you're going by the -N. I thought I explained that above but it doesn't show in Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it; thanks; I think I knew that (but wasn't there also some confusion about specific cylinders for N and G? Doesn't matter; 30 to 31 GPH is what I had prior to the overhaul and it worked well on takeoff on cold days, and it is easy enough to lean on taxi so as to not drown the engine).

When I installed the 310HP modification on my Eagle, the head mechanic of MidWest Mooney, who created the STC, recommend full power fuel flow to be set up at 27.5GPH. Having full throttle fuel flow too low can be very bad for your engine, better to be on the high side.

Indeed you need to set up the engine as an IO-550-N using TCM instructions.