Lightweight Portable Generator Review

FlyboyKC

I think I found the answer to one of my winter situations. I have a oil pan, and cylinder heater on my 68 Statesman which work great. The problem I have in the winter months is I land at airports without access to an outlet or a heated hanger. The Statemen is a bear to start when the temp is below 40. I thought about a power inverter and a battery, but couldn't find a battery that would last long enough (at least 1 hour) that didn't weigh a lot. I stumbled upon this little gem of a portable generator that should do the trick.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8L2RTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It weighs only 20lbs and puts out 800 continuous watts. That's double of what my heater requires. It has a 1/2 gallon fuel take and can run for up to 6.5 hours under 50% load. Out of the box new it started on the 3rd pull. I also let it get cold soaked, at 27 degrees and it started on the 2nd pull.

This is quiet unit, you know its running but not enough to be bothersome. (the video makes it sound louder than it really is.) After about an hour the white smoke initially encountered went away so I think it was just the oil that was shipped with the unit burning off.

For ~$200 I can use this for winter OPS and also camping. This also has a 12 DC adapter and according to manual you can charge a battery with it. I don't know if you could use both at the same time, but if the wattage was low enough you could probably plug a portable battery charger and the heater in at the same time. Oh another nice feature is the gas cap seals so if it tips over it won't spill.

Cheers,
Neal

1209171023.mp4

• Like 1

The gas cap has a closable vent. So if there was no gas in it, you could leave the vent open to equalize the pressure inside the tank. 

I am not sure I would travel with a full tank of fuel, I think I would get sick from the gas smell long before any fire broke out. 

11 hours ago, FlyboyKC said:

I think I found the answer to one of my winter situations. I have a oil pan, and cylinder heater on my 68 Statesman which work great. The problem I have in the winter months is I land at airports without access to an outlet or a heated hanger. The Statemen is a bear to start when the temp is below 40. I thought about a power inverter and a battery, but couldn't find a battery that would last long enough (at least 1 hour) that didn't weigh a lot. I stumbled upon this little gem of a portable generator that should do the trick.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8L2RTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It weighs only 20lbs and puts out 800 continuous watts. That's double of what my heater requires. It has a 1/2 gallon fuel take and can run for up to 6.5 hours under 50% load. Out of the box new it started on the 3rd pull. I also let it get cold soaked, at 27 degrees and it started on the 2nd pull.

This is quiet unit, you know its running but not enough to be bothersome. (the video makes it sound louder than it really is.) After about an hour the white smoke initially encountered went away so I think it was just the oil that was shipped with the unit burning off.

For ~$200 I can use this for winter OPS and also camping. This also has a 12 DC adapter and according to manual you can charge a battery with it. I don't know if you could use both at the same time, but if the wattage was low enough you could probably plug a portable battery charger and the heater in at the same time. Oh another nice feature is the gas cap seals so if it tips over it won't spill.

Cheers,
Neal

1209171023.mp4

Homedepot had these last year for $157.  I bought one then and had used it several times.  Under load, it’s much louder than the Honda, but it’s cheap and works.  It’s good for running. Tv and DVD player for the kids under the wing at a fly in too

Homedepot had these last year for $157.  I bought one then and had used it several times.  Under load, it’s much louder than the Honda, but it’s cheap and works.  It’s good for running. Tv and DVD player for the kids under the wing at a fly in too

I have a Yamaha 2000W generator and it is a lot louder than it too. But since it typically will be running on an airport ramp, I’m not so concerned about the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought the Harbor Freight equivalent this summer to use at one of our remote locations.   It's 2-stroke, so needs mixed gas, but we keep mix for chainsaws and stuff at the same place, anyway.   I have not had a chance to use it yet, but I'm expecting it to be loud.   The good part was that it was $88 during HF's sidewalk sale.

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

Coincidentally, the fuel cap from one of these will fit a Piper Cherokee in a pinch.  Heard that from a friend.

I bought a Honda EX350.  It puts out 300W or turned down to 150W with a switch.  SUPER quiet and supplies just enough power to operate my engine preheater when I’m at a remote airport and can’t get near power.  Weighs 19 lbs.  I don’t believe Honda makes these any more but they can be found on the used market.  I bought mine used.  As I recall, I paid $250.00 for it.  Well worth it!

E93A6F14-944D-4626-9DB6-9D97BC5DD7B2.jpeg

8E70D4C1-C936-40CE-BC8F-D21EE3FE0E98.jpeg

Edited by Whiskey Charlie

Here is the thread from last year:
Cheaper generator for electric preheater? $158 from Home Depot; will this work?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=55491&share_tid=20635&share_pid=313837&url=https://www.mooneyspace.com/index.php?/topic/20635-Cheaper-generator-for-electric-preheater%3F-%24158-from-Home-Depot%3B-will-this-work%3F/page__view__findpost__p__313837&share_type=t

I believe it has about 50hrs on the Hobbs meter I installed (used it extensively for camping). Works great with the Reiff. Price went up to $350! We got it for $160ish shipped. Make a search alert for “generator” on Slickdeals.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seldom butt in on political discussions ...However will support with a loud vote for the 100LL option for fuel. Find a method to preheat in cold weather

THEIR IS NO  DISPUTE ABOUT THE NEED TO PREHEAT IN TEMP BELOW __________ i know what my figure is.  and multi grade oils are not a substitute for my 60K 4 banger Lyc

Heated hangars are extremely hard to find and overnight vs an hour to defrost airframe is another topic for another thread for Northern travel.

• Like 1