I never remove plugs without them going into my plug carrier which identifies the original location.  I just saw an IR gun for sale for about $50.  Sometimes a small investment in tools will make your maintenance work a lot easier.  I know it's too late now, but use this experience to your advantage in securing tools and instruments to get you to your problem quicker.  That engine monitor could have saved you a ton of time and some money.  Even if you eventually discover it wouldn't have helped you here I can assure you it will be one of the best investments you ever made on your plane.  

Hope you find it soon.   

Tom

If you don't have a engine monitor there is another quick way to find a cold or cool cylinder. With the cowl off run on the bad mag for a short bit. Shut down and with the Handel of a screw driver touch the exhaust stack. The Handel will melt on a cylinder that's fireing and will not melt well in a intermittent cylinder. Everyone has a screw driver. 

Jim

On 12/20/2017 at 9:17 PM, Mark942 said:

Only problem is I didn't keep track of which cylinder each plug came out of.  

Ok that's a rookie mistake... is someone helping you with his? I can't believe an A&P pulling spark plugs and not keeping track of which position each one came from!

11 hours ago, Mr Bill said:

Mark,

Did your mechanic check for a stuck valve?   Hope you can get this solved.  There is a Lycoming Service Instruction 1425A that discusses this problem and how to repair without removing a cylinder. Best of luck on this

Mr Bill

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 5.htm

I'll discuss with him when we meet again some time after Christmas. I will look up and read the LSI in the mean time. Thanks for the info.

-mark

9 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I never remove plugs without them going into my plug carrier which identifies the original location.  I just saw an IR gun for sale for about $50.  Sometimes a small investment in tools will make your maintenance work a lot easier.  I know it's too late now, but use this experience to your advantage in securing tools and instruments to get you to your problem quicker.  That engine monitor could have saved you a ton of time and some money.  Even if you eventually discover it wouldn't have helped you here I can assure you it will be one of the best investments you ever made on your plane.  

Hope you find it soon.   

Tom

Yep, I have already got support from the Mrs. that in this case it is a lesson learned and so I am going to have a JPI 900 installed once it makes it to the avionics shop.  Might as well make that hole in the sky we pour money into a bit bigger :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

And you can be anal and build your own.

SAM_1675.JPG

Since I am spending my son's inheritance,  and he has made it very clear that I can never sell the Mooney cause it's his when I hang up my spurs, I guess I should ask him to make me a plug holder like this one.  He does furniture making as a hobby. Maybe put both our initials on it?? Thanks for the photo.

-mark

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ok that's a rookie mistake... is someone helping you with his? I can't believe an A&P pulling spark plugs and not keeping track of which position each one came from!

I am just guessing that maybe since they had only been ran once for a few minutes, he didn't think they needed to be tracked.  I have been through a couple annuals with him and he always keeps track and swaps top for bottom.  I was just being curious when I picked them up and started looking them over.  I'm and engineer and can't keep my hands off things very well.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on engine problem:

Both Mags bench tested fine (much to my disappointment).  Finished reinstall of Mags and confirmed that engine still only develops about 2250 RPM. During removal of Right Mag, removed bracket and a bunch of hoses to gain access, and was able to carefully review action of governor and it physically looks like limits and motion of lever on governor is correct.  During reinstall of Mags, we took extra care to make sure timing was as accurate as we could possibly make it.  The scheduled install  of the IFD 550 is on hold but order has been placed for JPI EMD 900 engine monitor.  Plan is to do a temporary install to "analyze" the engine.  Wish I had a base line, but it is what it is.  Also, visually inspected valve springs, and all "look" fine.

-mark

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 12:00 AM, Mark942 said:

Since I am spending my son's inheritance,  and he has made it very clear that I can never sell the Mooney cause it's his when I hang up my spurs, I guess I should ask him to make me a plug holder like this one.  He does furniture making as a hobby. Maybe put both our initials on it?? Thanks for the photo.

-mark

Go ahead and make one with 12 spots. I use the extras to keep track of each step. First I pick out around the electrode, and move them in order to the other end of the rack. Then into the cleaner / tester and back to the first end. Then wire brush and back to the other end.

If I am interrupted, it's easy to tell where I left off. It would be more difficult with the right amount of spaces (8). JMHO, since nobody asked . . . .

26 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Important follow-up question...

Mark, what type of engineer are you?

You started it... :)

Based on the tone of his comment, I'd guess Mechanical. Or one of those that I think of as "applied" Mechanical Engineering, like Aerospace (ME applied to planes & rockets) but probably not Civil (ME applied to dirt), or Electrical / Computer as those types don't generally enjoy getting their hands dirty.

But I've been wrong before!  

--Hank, BSME, MSE

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

Generalizations don't fit everyone. In other words, there's an oddball in every group . . .  :lol:

Hank

Generalizations always get you in trouble. :D  I regularly have grease under my fingernails, blood blisters, scrapes, burns and splinters in my hands.  If not I get bored.

Over Christmas I pulled engine and transmission out of my son's vehicle overhauled the engine and put it all back together and it worked.:D  Just wish I could do it that way on the plane.:o:(  $#%$#  FAA:ph34r:

BSEE, PE in 11 states

On 12/22/2017 at 10:00 PM, Mark942 said:

-mark

I took an old box, stuck holes in it with a screwdriver and made them big enough to stick a plug in. Then I took a sharpie and wrote T1 / B1, T2 / B2, etc... Simple, easy, cheap... :D

20170720_205719.thumb.jpg.8cfb1244906af9e3c91532427d785ffc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I took an old box, stuck holes in it with a screwdriver and made them big enough to stick a plug in. Then I took a sharpie and wrote T1 / B1, T2 / B2, etc... Simple, easy, cheap... :D

Your CB membership card is in the mail, Richard. ;)

• Like 3

Just to rule the governor out, on the next run up, pull the prop knob and see if and when the RPM reduces more....in other words, when you are "on the governor".  At that RPM, it should be far from governing.  If the prop responds right away, something is going on and the governor is limiting you.  Don't see how this would explain the roughness, but as others have said, may be two problems and this test is free.

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

IMHO imitation is a great compliment.

Maybe I should figure out a way to sell them and make my fortune :) 

If you want to make your fortune you better change the logo to Beech and market on their forums, we all know Mooney owners aren't going to make you rich! :lol: