handheld transcom recommendations

Bob_Belville

23 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

i have a yeashu 750 with lithium battery and a AA battery pack and adapter to plugin my headset.  Without an external antenna you can hear the tower fine but they cant hear you until about 3 miles out. 

I have an antenna Splitter with an open coax port behind the panel. But I'll have to check whether it is VLOC/GS or COM. 

IMG_20171212_125650512[2].jpg

25 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have an antenna Splitter with an open coax port behind the panel. But I'll have to check whether it is VLOC/GS or COM. 

IMG_20171212_125650512[2].jpg

Thats what I need!.  The antenna on the handheld has a BNC that would connect right up and make the thing useful.

17 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

Thats what I need!.  The antenna on the handheld has a BNC that would connect right up and make the thing useful.

I just noticed the label on a couple of the cables! There appear to be 2 splitters with the comm antenna behind the one I was concentrating on.

• Like 1

I bought a Comant to place under the belly (Clarence calls them "eye pokers") and used the antenna from the removed marker beacon.  The cockpit end of the coax sits next to my centre post, ready to hook up if needed.  ICOM A6 with the headset connectors.  Does not go through the Audio Panel.  Receives from over 10 miles away and they will receive my transmission around 6 miles away.

• Like 2

Bob and all on MS

SOME TIMES WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS  I'm not going into the pros  and cons of YAESU vs any other hand held

any body on the list want an FTA- 750L in the box  (zero time) with return it if your not happy  PM me

i did a localiser into Bush KIAH AS A REQUEST OF Houston A CONTROLER FRIEND..?THE UNIT PUTS YOU ON LOC PLUS 15 Nm using the 5 watt radio switching between YAESU, GTN 750 and KX155, .....it simply does what sportys says it will do with the pigtail whip antena 

Interested make an offer one buck more than $250.00 USD and you can have it b4 Christmas ..if ya been good 

PM ME AT : PLYONS820@YAHOO.CO

MY KIDS DONT COMMUNICATE WELL AND I    RECEIVED  TWO YEP TWO    OF THE YAESU FTA-750L FOR BIRTHDAY AUGUST 2017

can not imagine needing a redundant back up hand held...

On 12/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I think the nav feature in a handheld is a waste. I'd use my iPad or even iPhone to shoot an approach before trying it with a handheld.

@gsxrpilot Paul, just curious on the plan on the iPad/phone vs handheld glideslope. Thinking synthetic vision via Foreflight with step-down descents or ? 

• Like 1

Nancy knows that I get a notification from AX of expenditures so she used a MC for the Sporty's order. It didn't help her keep her secret. 

Which reminds me, I may have told the story of why/how I started flying... after listening to me talk about learning to fly someday, Nancy put a gift certificate for 2 hours of lessons and a couple of PP instruction books under the tree. That was Xmas 1968 - our 5th year of marriage. By the next June we we taking 500 mile trips in a club M20E.  

• Like 3

[mention=11970]gsxrpilot[/mention] Paul, just curious on the plan on the iPad/phone vs handheld glideslope. Thinking synthetic vision via Foreflight with step-down descents or ? 

Yes, the SV on ForeFlight I’m confident would get me on the ground. I would also be relying on a radio and help from ATC. The geolocation on the IFR plates on ForeFlight is also very useful here and ForeFlight gives me the ability to split screen both SV and the plate simultaneously. I would certainly do this before attempting to follow a glide slope depiction on any hand held I’ve seen. I’m also more familiar/current with the iPad option as it’s always up in the cockpit. The handheld is in the flight bag and rarely gets used.

I used the SV on my IFD540 to “shoot” a VFR approach through smoke and dust into Burning Man this summer. It is truly an amazing tool in the cockpit.
  • Like 1